Viking Egypt - sold out for 2020

zitsky

I'd like to hear from anyone who has booked a Viking Egypt river cruise.  How far ahead did you book it?  I was not surprised to know that some dates are sold out.  But I was very surprised to know that the entire year of 2020 is sold out.

I would be interested in this too.  I am actually looking to book this for March or November 2021.  I chatted online with a Viking rep yesterday, asking when the 2021 dates would be released, and she told me "I have 15 other people looking for that same information - can I add you to my list".  

2020 is not all sold out though. There are dates available in October and November, 2020.

Edited by kaceyisme

Hi Karen.  When I looked at this a few days ago it was all sold out for all of 2020.  When I look at it today there is availability on random days.  One thing I know is there are three ships Viking uses, Osiris, Ra and MS Antares.  Is it possible that they added a ship and therefore had openings in the schedule?  I don't know but there are dates open now that weren't open just a week ago.

I see these ships are pretty small.  Even smaller than the longships used in Europe.

19 hours ago, zitsky said:

Hi Karen.  When I looked at this a few days ago it was all sold out for all of 2020.  When I look at it today there is availability on random days.  One thing I know is there are three ships Viking uses, Osiris, Ra and MS Antares.  Is it possible that they added a ship and therefore had openings in the schedule?  I don't know but there are dates open now that weren't open just a week ago.

I see these ships are pretty small.  Even smaller than the longships used in Europe.

You might also want to check Uniworld.

My TA said the 2020 schedule was only released recently.  So maybe it was misleading for Viking to show all the sailings as sold out.

Thanks for the tip about Uniworld.

• 4 weeks later...

We booked the Ra last June 2018 for August 2020.  It was the only date we could get two rooms other than a date right before Christmas.  There was a random selection of single rooms available then. 

We booked it but just recently changed our date to March 2021, when the new schedules came out.

• 4 weeks later...

We have just booked our Egypt sailing with Viking for January of 2021! There are not many cabins on these ships so I can understand how they can be sold out very quickly. Super excited about this trip! This will be our second Viking experience. We just returned from their China cruise down the Yangtze River. It was amazing

9 hours ago, leenieweenie said:

We have just booked our Egypt sailing with Viking for January of 2021! There are not many cabins on these ships so I can understand how they can be sold out very quickly. Super excited about this trip! This will be our second Viking experience. We just returned from their China cruise down the Yangtze River. It was amazing

Funny!  I am doing Egypt in September and China next year!  

• 3 months later...

We booked Viking Antares (we hope this was a good decision...?) from Feb 4-11, 2021 (with a pre and post cruise extension in Israel & Jordan.  We took advantage of the early booking bonus while on a Viking Ocean cruise this May (we were told 2020 was sold out).  The 2021 dates opened up very soon after our return home so we were one of the earliest to book our cruise dates. (Viking told us to book ASAP since these cruises book up very soon.  (We booked the Viking Antares looking for a different and more authentic Egypt cruise experience since we have sailed on many Viking River cruises.  The Viking Rep assured us the ship was “ugly on the outside, but beautiful on the inside” and that the staff & crew were all Viking members.  I hope this is true!