In Costa Maya Xmas day-What to do?

Kaitebeck

Hi there, I know there is a ton of people asking what is the best to do, but since it will be Xmas day when my family and I arrive (16month old, 2-mid 20y/os, 2-30y/os, 2-mid 40 y/os, and 3-65+ y/os). We hear that this is the place to take a tour and NOT to snorkel. But any and all validated suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Since this will be the last Xmas for a while we will be together, we want to make it something to remember. We love the idea of cultural experiences and tours. I believe we are planning on snorkeling somewhere else on our tour (Cozumel or Roatan). 

Thank you-

7 hours ago, Kaitebeck said:

I have emailed them but have yet to hear back yet. Currently, it is looking like a decent portion of us will head to Maya Chan Beach

Just be sure they get their reservations in early.  MC fills up quickly.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Kaitebeck said:

We got a reservation with them. Looks like they have something for everyone.

You won't find a better option.  Good choice.

• 1 month later...

We will also be in Costa Maya on Christmas Day and thought about getting a taxi to Mahahual town.

I’m just wondering though, as it’s Christmas Day will anything be open or will it be business as usual?

Cruise ship (s) in port?  Yes beach clubs will be open.  Maybe not all but most.  Hotels with guests will be open. If there are cruisers, you'll find hawkers of crafts and maybe a kiosk or two open along the beach malecon.

The town?   There's nothing in the town to see.  MC is just south of the malecon.  As you'll see on the way down, condos and homes.  The small market along the first street in from the beach near the soccer field, would be about the only thing there.  You'll pass through on the ay back to the ship.

Now there could well be cruise-oriented shops open in Nuevo Mahahual just before the port, but there aren't many there to begin with.  Port shopping will be open.

43 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

The town?   There's nothing in the town to see.  

I thought that Mahahual was a fisherman’s Village with stalls, shops, bars and places to eat?

it certainly looked worth visiting when I Googled  images of “Mahahual town”

I just wondered whether all the places would be open on Christmas Day.

31 minutes ago, The Med said:

I thought that Mahahual was a fisherman’s Village with stalls, shops, bars and places to eat?

it certainly looked worth visiting when I Googled  images of “Mahahual town”

I just wondered whether all the places would be open on Christmas Day.

All that is along the malecon.   There's still fishing done out of the area.  Main municipal pier is a fishing boat pier.

But no longer the  "quiet fishing village" of 10-15 years ago.  All those stalls, shops, bars, places to eat, are along the malecon and as I said, if a ship is in most will be open.