Before and after cruise itinerary in Italy

uttu

Hi all

We are taking a MSC cruise from Venice next year in June. I am trying to decide best itinerary based on our interest. We are not too interested in Rome but more scenic stuff and Amalfi is a must. What do you all think about this itinerary and can you help me recommendations on things in bold I need to plan for like transfers, air bnbs/hotels?

6/11 Thursday Leave WAS to Naples
6/12 Friday Arrive in Naples
6/12 Friday Transfer to Positano or Sorrento
6/12 Friday check in to Positano or Sorrento
4 nights stay AirBNB or Hotel for 8
Day tours to Ravello/Pompei for 8 or more
Day tours to Capri for 8 or more

Other activities
6/16 Tuesday Transfer to Naples
6/16 Tuesday Train or Flight to Venice from Naples
6/16 Tuesday Transfer from Venice Airport or train station
6/16 Tuesday Check in Venice AirBnB or Hotel
3 nights Venice
6/19 Friday Venice Departure for cruise in PM
6/26 Friday Venice Arrival from cruise in AM
6/26 Friday Train to Rome
6/26 Friday Transfer to Hotel
One night in Rome in Hotel for 8

6/27 Rome to WAS flight

Sounds exhausting, but I assume you're younger than we were when visiting these places over several different cruises (incl pre- or post-cruise visits).  Several thoughts:  Pompeii and Capri are much closer to Sorrento than Positano on the Amalfi Coast, which is over the mountains from Pompeii.  Ravello is down there as well.

I like that you are spending time in Italy pre and post cruise!   Too many people zip in and out.  You see Venice much better at night not from a ship.   If I am reading this correctly there are 8 of you.  We had good luck with some apartments that were three bedroom from VRBO.  The owner had several in the same building.   For Sorrento we had good luck with the Best Western, it had a huge pool, great views and regular shuttle into Sorrento.   We day tripped from there.   

If you don’t have  flights yet,  see if you can do

an open jaw, fly into Naples and out of Venice. For the one night in Rome I am not sure it is worth the hassle.  I would fly from Naples to Venice.  

Edited by bennybear

If you're not going to have a car (or in your case a motor coach :classic_wink:), because of local transportation I would strongly recommend a base in Sorrento rather than Positano.

From Positano there are infrequent ferries along the Amalfi coast and to Capri, and a seriously uphill walk to the main coast road for the hourly bus service from Sorrento to Amalfi and beyond.

From Sorrento there are frequent ferries to Capri, & to Naples, and day-trip boats along the Amalfi coast. Plus buses, including the afore-mentioned bus to Amalfi. Plus the half-hourly Circumvesuviana train to Pompei, Herculaneum and Naples. Sorrento also has a wider range of local facilities (shops, restaurants, etc).

I doubt that even 8 of you can get a van for anywhere near the cost of train tickets (Sorrento to Naples about €8 ?)

It sounds like you're going to Rome only for the flight home.

As per the bear's post, can you not get open-jaw returns WAS - Naples and Venice  - WAS?

JB :classic_smile:

I understand that the cost of open-jaw tickets will be more than round trip Rome, and especially when you multiply that by eight, but there are costs associated with all this moving around, both financial and time.  Time is precious too, especially on vacation which is so limited for most of us.  Even if you buy them in advance and save money, the cost of train travel from Rome to Naples on the front end and from Venice to Rome on the back end (at least 50 euro per person Rome to Naples and at least 43 euro Venice to Rome) should be factored into your decision.  Also, you'll lose at minimum three to four hours getting to Naples on your first, jetlagged day and at least four hours, plus time to check into a hotel, on the back end getting back to Rome.

It's hard to describe the complexities of moving eight people and their luggage so many times.  It really is exponentially more difficult than just getting yourself and your spouse from place to place.  

Having done this with family and friends in the past, I would calculate that my time on vacation is worth at least as much as the money so I wouldn't even consider this plan unless is it saving you at least $200 per person on the airfare.  Somewhere around $400 or more it's understandable to go for the airfare savings, but up to that point my own comfort and sanity would push me toward the more expensive open-jaw ticket.

As for your coast decision, if I'm reading correctly you'll have four nights and three days in the area.  It's not clear to me if you intend to see Pompei and Ravello on the same day, plus you want a day on Capri.

Sorrento is a good base for transportation but it's not on the Amalfi Coast, if that's important to you.  While there are beautiful water views with Vesuvio in the background, there is also very little beach in Sorrento (cliffs down to the water, or a port where there is access).

There is good ferry service along the Amalfi Coast (see schedule here: https://www.travelmar.it/it/orari).  There are also sufficient options from Positano or Amalfi to Capri and back, so I wouldn't immediately assume you must choose Sorrento for ease of getting around.

If you decide to use the train from your Amalfi Coast location to Venice you can start in Salerno rather than Naples, saving yourself a lot of hassle (if you are staying in Sorrento it makes more sense to go to Naples).

Thank you all for the invaluable feedback. Sorry if my post was not well formed and made you tired:) I think it is not too busy as we are trying not to move our base too much and just keep in Amalfi area and Venice pretty much before the cruise.

I will look in to skipping Rome but I thought I will may be squeeze in one site in Rome plus we will hopefully get direct flights to WAS instead of a connection but I agree that it might not be worth the hassle.

Looks like Sorrento is better to base us. We plan on doing different tours every day and not have it too rushed for Amalfi. I realize it will be probably too expensive and we will have to see how to balance it all.

On 5/5/2019 at 1:23 AM, bennybear said:

We had good luck with some apartments that were three bedroom from VRBO.  The owner had several in the same building.   For Sorrento we had good luck with the Best Western, it had a huge pool, great views and regular shuttle into Sorrento.   We day tripped from there.   

Thanks, this is very helpful info.

On 5/5/2019 at 9:13 AM, euro cruiser said:

There is good ferry service along the Amalfi Coast (see schedule here: https://www.travelmar.it/it/orari).  There are also sufficient options from Positano or Amalfi to Capri and back, so I wouldn't immediately assume you must choose Sorrento for ease of getting around.

If you decide to use the train from your Amalfi Coast location to Venice you can start in Salerno rather than Naples, saving yourself a lot of hassle (if you are staying in Sorrento it makes more sense to go to Naples).

Thanks for this helpful info.

• Like 1

This is what we're doing in less than 2 weeks:

5/16: Leave MSY to LHR

5/17: Arrive LHR, drive to Stonehenge for tour, return car to LHR

5/18: Booked city tour of London with private guide

5/18: Eurostar to Paris

5/18: 1-Hr Evening cruise on Seine

5/19: (Had to scratch off Mass at Notre Dame)

5/19: Private tour in Paris

5/19: Overnight train to Venice

5/20: Private tour of Venice to include Murano and private water taxi

5/20: Train to Rome

5/21: Private tour of Rome (Colosseum, Forum, Pantheon, Spanish steps, gladiator class for kids, catacombs

5/22: Papal Audience in the AM, private "foodie tour" in PM

5/23: Private Sistine Chapel Tour, St Peter's, transfer to Civitavecchia

5/23-6/2: NCL Jade (Italy/Greece)

6/2: Private tour to Orvieto

6/3: Transfer to FCO --> CLT --> MSY

We have 6 people, including to kids (ages 9 and 8).  We've all resolved to pack in one carry-on each (which seems to be working out rather well!).  This trip has been over a year in planning, so we'll see how it goes!

Phew!  Good luck that you have no delays!  Even a small one will destroy your itinerary.     You will be driving on the wrong side while jet lagged.    You will spend as much time commuting as sight seeing!  IMO you will not really see or experience these places. I would do some serious trimming, as you will no doubt return! 

Edited by bennybear

4 hours ago, bennybear said:

You will be driving on the wrong side while jet lagged.  

Huh? :classic_huh:.

Americans always drive on the wrong side anyway, just like Italians and the other continental Europeans.

Only we Brits, most former Brit colonies, & odd-balls like the Japanese drive on the correct side. :classic_wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, mdsgu said:

5/21: Private tour of Rome (Colosseum, Forum, Pantheon, Spanish steps, gladiator class for kids, catacombs

We have 6 people, including to kids (ages 9 and 8).  We've all resolved to pack in one carry-on each (which seems to be working out rather well!).  This trip has been over a year in planning, so we'll see how it goes!

I have spent multiple days on multiple visits to London and at least 2 times to Paris. In neither of those cities have I even scratched the surface of all the things to do or places to see. You appear to be doing a drive by and we have seen it type of tour but will really have no time to actually appreciate the places you are visiting. Jumping day to day from London to Paris to Venice to Rome will be tiring.  Also those overnight train treks to not allow for great sleep..  I hope you and the kids are not as grumpy as I would be with all that running around. If nothing else, at this late date I would drop Stonehenge for more time in London

• Like 1

Yes, we are doing the "drive-by" version of Europe (some of Europe), but I've been to London several times and spent almost a year in Birmingham while in school.  I've been to Paris as well.  None of these cities can be done properly in a day or a week or even a month, but we wanted to give our kids a taste of each.  I'm sure we'll go back, more than once.

As far as driving on the wrong side of the road while jet-lagged -- well, I've done that before, too.  The only things that worry me are the round-abouts.  I have, in the past, been known to go counterclockwise (or is it anti-clockwise?) like here in the colonies.  Fortunately, it was a learning experience, it was fairly late, and there were no other cars!

Griswold European Vacation -- here we come!  😂

47 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Unless your're a druid,Stonehenge isn't worth all that effort.

Now that's exactly what I and all my Brit family & friends think. Ditto other Brits on Cruise Critic.

It's just a stack of stones.

But the vast majority of foreign visitors are enthralled - and  that's after they've seen it.

Each to their own, Brian  :classic_wink:

We did a land tour to Amalfi with a family group of 8.  I'd just second that transporting that amount of people is a challenge. You can get an 8 passenger van, but it is large and many of the non-highway roads in that area can have very narrow sections.  It was my husband's first experience driving in Europe and it stressed him out so much he won't drive anywhere again.  (That's a whole other issue I have to deal with!)  Or you can get two smaller cars if you have enough willing drivers.  Take out as much insurance as you can.  Our car lost a tail light in a parking lot, our friend's car lost a side mirror.  Everyone in the line ahead of us had some sort of damage, and one lady had no car at all to return.  It had been totaled.

If you don't drive, the train system is quite good, but make sure you stay somewhere near it or can confirm you can get a taxi/uber from where you stay.  The biggest issue will be luggage.  It can be hard to schlep your luggage thru some of the train stations as there are frequently stairs but no elevators. Also, you may wish to keep your luggage near you, which can be a challenge with a large group.

We rented a villa thru VRBO, and the managers were happy to arrange a boat tour to Capri and another to Positano and the coast.  I'm sure it was her buddy driving the boat, but it was reasonably priced and a great day to be had.

Sorrento is a nice town and I think would be great for a base in that area.  It's easy to get to, relatively small, very picturesque.  Agree the "beach" there is not fantastic, so don't count that if beaches are a necessity for your trip.  Our VRBO had a pool, which was all our kids needed.  The Med in July was still very cold, so beaches required a bit of fortitude anyways.

Edited by ljandgb
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Now that's exactly what I and all my Brit family & friends think. Ditto other Brits on Cruise Critic.

But the vast majority of foreign visitors are enthralled - and  that's after they've seen it.

True,if I was an Egyptian I'd probably say the same about the pyramids,lol.

22 hours ago, mdsgu said:

Wow, I mean absolutely no offense but that schedule sounds like a death march. Even with the most active, resilient kids I think it will be tough. 

I would really love to hear how it all goes off -- hope you will come back and post. 

23 hours ago, mdsgu said:

Be sure to take good notes yourself, or encourage the kids to do so because I guarantee you that a year from now they will not remember which place was which, or what they saw.  We've taken our kids all over Europe (and elsewhere) and we never spent less than four days in a place yet today, a decade or more later, they really have only snippets of memories.  I wish we'd done a better job of documenting other than just pictures.

On 5/7/2019 at 8:11 PM, euro cruiser said:

Be sure to take good notes yourself, or encourage the kids to do so because I guarantee you that a year from now they will not remember which place was which, or what they saw.  We've taken our kids all over Europe (and elsewhere) and we never spent less than four days in a place yet today, a decade or more later, they really have only snippets of memories.  I wish we'd done a better job of documenting other than just pictures.

My kids recall very little about trips to London/Paris/Baltic Cruise when they were younger.  They are now in  mid twenties and  big travellers - both have organised solo trips to SE Asia and travelled extensively elsewhere.    They only recall in detail the trips they organised themselves. 

There are other little things that they recall - like the cruise on the Seine was the most boring hour of their life,  rushing after the guide in Rome was worth than  having 3 hours math homework, there was a cat under the table of a certain restaurant that ate the leftovers that were fed to it (I never knew!!), Buckingham Palace was dull because the outside of a building through railings had no relevance to them;  they enjoyed a ride on horse in  a little park that  was nearby.   

So to mdsgu I would say

1) cancel the car to Stonehenge and go to a park in London and enjoy fresh air and  the squirrels. 

2) If you want to enjoy the Seine - don't worry if the kids use it as a chance to sleep.  They are unlikely to appreciate the buildings that you are passing.  

3) How is the 18th going to work??  Make sure that you have plenty of time to check in for Eurostar.  Last time I passed through St Pancras the queues were really long.  I love St Pancras station anyway.  There is plenty to keep you occupied!!   

4) Split up when you can so that you can do some child-friendly activities (like parks).  

5) Your kids do not realise just how much effort/money  you have put into this trip.   Having fun together should be your aim.  

Tell us how it goes.  Have a great trip

On 5/2/2019 at 7:33 PM, uttu said:

Hi all

We are taking a MSC cruise from Venice next year in June. I am trying to decide best itinerary based on our interest. We are not too interested in Rome but more scenic stuff and Amalfi is a must. What do you all think about this itinerary and can you help me recommendations on things in bold I need to plan for like transfers, air bnbs/hotels?

6/11 Thursday Leave WAS to Naples
6/12 Friday Arrive in Naples
6/12 Friday Transfer to Positano or Sorrento
6/12 Friday check in to Positano or Sorrento
4 nights stay AirBNB or Hotel for 8
Day tours to Ravello/Pompei for 8 or more
Day tours to Capri for 8 or more

Other activities
6/16 Tuesday Transfer to Naples
6/16 Tuesday Train or Flight to Venice from Naples
6/16 Tuesday Transfer from Venice Airport or train station
6/16 Tuesday Check in Venice AirBnB or Hotel
3 nights Venice
6/19 Friday Venice Departure for cruise in PM
6/26 Friday Venice Arrival from cruise in AM
6/26 Friday Train to Rome
6/26 Friday Transfer to Hotel
One night in Rome in Hotel for 8

6/27 Rome to WAS flight

I am not a big fan of over-packed itineraries - but this looks fine for me, as long as you pack as light as possible given that you are moving a couple of times.  Also make sure that the 8 of you are not always trying to do things together - that can get exhausting when you are trying to meet everyone's needs.    

Another vote for Sorrento.  You can easily get a ferry to Capri from there.  It is also an easy local train ride to Pompeii or Herculaneum from there.  You will also be able to organise an Amalfi Coast drive from Sorrento too.  That would be enough scheduled activity for the 4 days, given that you are going to arrive jet lagged.   You need time to enjoy Sorrento  and anything unscheduled that crops up.  

I would take the train rather than fly between Naples and Venice.  You can take the local train from Sorrento into Naples but allow time to find the platform.   The local and the regional trains are on different levels I think.    Think about accessibility to train station when you book your accommodation in Venice.  

As to whether or not it is worth flying from Rome??  You may not be interested in the major sites in Rome, but strolling  around Rome as the sun goes down, finding somewhere to sit in the fresh air and having a meal together sounds like my idea of heaven.  You could probably do the same in Venice and leave from Venice the next day (but hotel costs would surely be less in Rome).      [Milan is also nearer than Rome when you are pricing flights]

Have a lovely trip.  

On 5/14/2019 at 6:43 AM, ollienbertsmum said:

I am not a big fan of over-packed itineraries - but this looks fine for me, as long as you pack as light as possible given that you are moving a couple of times.  Also make sure that the 8 of you are not always trying to do things together - that can get exhausting when you are trying to meet everyone's needs.    

Another vote for Sorrento.  You can easily get a ferry to Capri from there.  It is also an easy local train ride to Pompeii or Herculaneum from there.  You will also be able to organise an Amalfi Coast drive from Sorrento too.  That would be enough scheduled activity for the 4 days, given that you are going to arrive jet lagged.   You need time to enjoy Sorrento  and anything unscheduled that crops up.  

I would take the train rather than fly between Naples and Venice.  You can take the local train from Sorrento into Naples but allow time to find the platform.   The local and the regional trains are on different levels I think.    Think about accessibility to train station when you book your accommodation in Venice.  

As to whether or not it is worth flying from Rome??  You may not be interested in the major sites in Rome, but strolling  around Rome as the sun goes down, finding somewhere to sit in the fresh air and having a meal together sounds like my idea of heaven.  You could probably do the same in Venice and leave from Venice the next day (but hotel costs would surely be less in Rome).      [Milan is also nearer than Rome when you are pricing flights]

Have a lovely trip.  

Thank you for all the details and advice.

• 4 months later...
On 5/7/2019 at 8:34 AM, John Bull said:

We were, shall we say, less than impressed with Stonehenge.  We can say we've seen it, but that's about it.