swimming pool water

fandash

i have asked a few different hair dressers and have had different answers. she is looking to get highlights (i noticed i had put she has highlighted hair but she doesnt right now but is wanting to get them but doesnt want it to go green )

thanks for replying.

My wife worries about this regularly as she had the experience a very long time ago. However, if you go to a public pool, you will see MANY women with hair that has been colored swimming in the pool. I think maybe older chemicals used were a problem, newer chemicals not.

Suggest she use "swimmers shampoo" to remove the pool chemicals from her hair. I have [town] well water at home and find the addition of chemical sanitizing agents makes the red/brassy tones pop out in my hair. Ask your stylist for particular brands.

Darcy

Edited by WatchHill

14 hours ago, Sauer-kraut said:

Many ship's pools are filled with salt water anyways,.

Regardless of whether the pool is salt water or fresh water, it will be chlorinated.  I would say that 90% of the time, salt water pools are chlorinated as well, since they are on recirculation mode.  Ship's pools are maintained at a higher chlorine concentration than most land pools (2-4ppm), and the chlorine residual is more closely monitored and dosed (continuously), so the problem of chlorine reacting with the bleaching agent used to lighten hair color is more prevalent.  I've seen it happen on ships, most commonly with the "blue rinse" set, and it will also tend to fade and rot swimwear.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 6:51 AM, chengkp75 said:

Ship's pools are maintained at a higher chlorine concentration than most land pools (2-4ppm), and the chlorine residual is more closely monitored and dosed (continuously)

Many commercial and hotel pools are on continuous monitoring and constant dosing also.