First 2 weeks of March 2020 North Island NZ - snorkelling, geothermal, suggestions?

In between cruises on the same trip in 2020, I will be footloose for the first two weeks of March, focused strictly on the North Island — solo for this bit.

Can you please help me with my planning?

What are your absolute best corners of the Island, that you think that I should not miss?

1. The cruise ports of call that we (DH & I) will have done (with the Feb cruising just before) will have included: 

a) The Bay of Islands, Tauranga, Gisborne, Wellington, New Plymouth, and Auckland - for the North Island.

b) Nelson, Napier, Picton, Christchurch, Dunedin, Oban, and cruising the Sounds - for the South Island.

Of these ports of call, which would you have liked to go back to, in order to explore further?

Did you have a favourite activity or excursion that you particularly liked, that you did from the ship?

2. I’m very torn between being footloose with a small car and doing B&Bs and Airbnbs, or being footloose with a small one-person camper (a MAD 1, built on a Cube footprint.)

Note: I cannot walk long distances and can have days when I’m simply pooped. I’m best to alternate busy days, with quieter ones. I can easily manage a lightweight travel scooter by myself, and simply use a cane on ‘good’ days.

So, given the timing of the beginning of March, which travel style option would you recommend most?

I like the comfort of being in a real bedroom, but I also like the idea of not having to pre-book everywhere. (My accommodation budget will be less than 100 NZD per night - so the camper van vs. car + bed would be more or less equivalent.)

3. Hiking will not be possible. Having said that, are there nice paths or trails that I should look into that are flat, easy to walk, or able to use a scooter to explore?

4. I’m an avid & skilled snorkeler and strong swimmer (water is def my element!). Where should I roam in order to get some really good snorkelling in? Any good spots for this that I should include in my North Island itinerary? I’ll have all of my own gear with me, including a full bodysuit (as my first cruise in Jan starts in Tahiti.) I often join divers on dive boats to snorkel.

5. Geothermal - YES... especially thermal pools! My body would so thank me for any opportunity for a hot soak, and I would include as many spots as I could - so any and all Island-wide suggestions would be super!

6. I’d like to include an overnight farm stay, esp. if they have animals. Any recommendations for one?

7. I love the sound of birds and am thrilled with finding critters, both in the bush and along the shore.

Do you have a favourite area for birdwatching? 

Do you have a favourite beach or shoreline for poking around tide pools?

8. Finally, do you have a favourite B&B or Airbnb to recommend?

As you can see, this portion of the trip is still very early in the planning stage, compared to the rest (cruises on Azamara with DH and on Celebrity with a friend). 

I have my dates, I know that I’ll be flying in & out of Auckland. I’ve done some preliminary research and can see that my budget can work. Now I need to flesh out the slightly more than two weeks that I’ll be solo on the North Island, and this is where your feedback, advice and suggestions will be invaluable! Thank you very much!!

2 hours ago, snowglobe said:

In between cruises on the same trip in 2020, I will be footloose for the first two weeks of March, focused strictly on the North Island — solo for this bit.

Can you please help me with my planning?

What are your absolute best corners of the Island, that you think that I should not miss?

1. The cruise ports of call that we (DH & I) will have done (with the Feb cruising just before) will have included: 

a) The Bay of Islands, Tauranga, Gisborne, Wellington, New Plymouth, and Auckland - for the North Island.

b) Nelson, Napier, Picton, Christchurch, Dunedin, Oban, and cruising the Sounds - for the South Island.

Of these ports of call, which would you have liked to go back to, in order to explore further?

Did you have a favourite activity or excursion that you particularly liked, that you did from the ship?

2. I’m very torn between being footloose with a small car and doing B&Bs and Airbnbs, or being footloose with a small one-person camper (a MAD 1, built on a Cube footprint.)

Note: I cannot walk long distances and can have days when I’m simply pooped. I’m best to alternate busy days, with quieter ones. I can easily manage a lightweight travel scooter by myself, and simply use a cane on ‘good’ days.

So, given the timing of the beginning of March, which travel style option would you recommend most?

I like the comfort of being in a real bedroom, but I also like the idea of not having to pre-book everywhere. (My accommodation budget will be less than 100 NZD per night - so the camper van vs. car + bed would be more or less equivalent.)

3. Hiking will not be possible. Having said that, are there nice paths or trails that I should look into that are flat, easy to walk, or able to use a scooter to explore?

4. I’m an avid & skilled snorkeler and strong swimmer (water is def my element!). Where should I roam in order to get some really good snorkelling in? Any good spots for this that I should include in my North Island itinerary? I’ll have all of my own gear with me, including a full bodysuit (as my first cruise in Jan starts in Tahiti.) I often join divers on dive boats to snorkel.

5. Geothermal - YES... especially thermal pools! My body would so thank me for any opportunity for a hot soak, and I would include as many spots as I could - so any and all Island-wide suggestions would be super!

6. I’d like to include an overnight farm stay, esp. if they have animals. Any recommendations for one?

7. I love the sound of birds and am thrilled with finding critters, both in the bush and along the shore.

Do you have a favourite area for birdwatching? 

Do you have a favourite beach or shoreline for poking around tide pools?

8. Finally, do you have a favourite B&B or Airbnb to recommend?

As you can see, this portion of the trip is still very early in the planning stage, compared to the rest (cruises on Azamara with DH and on Celebrity with a friend). 

I have my dates, I know that I’ll be flying in & out of Auckland. I’ve done some preliminary research and can see that my budget can work. Now I need to flesh out the slightly more than two weeks that I’ll be solo on the North Island, and this is where your feedback, advice and suggestions will be invaluable! Thank you very much!!

What a great trip combining a cruise with land travel.  NZ is a traveller's paradise.  You might like to select favourite places and book baches to use as a base for say three nights each.  We have done this in the North Island in the North of Bay of Islands, the Coramandels and near Rotoroua.   There are many places you could choose.  Distances are short, so you can see and do a lot in three days using a bach as a base, or just rest at the bach, depending how you feel.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

You might like to select favourite places and book baches to use as a base for say three nights each.  We have done this in the North Island in the North of Bay of Islands, the Coramandels and near Rotoroua.

Thank you, MMDown Under.

I have those three areas in my sights - north of the Bay Islands, the Coromandels, and Rotoroua - as well as a Waiheke Island and around Gisborne too.

I like your idea of 3-night stays, but I need to ask:

What are ‘baches’? and where do you find them?

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

If you want great snorkeling near Auckland , do a google check on the Goat Island Marine Reserve.  .You will get other tips on budget accom from checking out Backpacking NZ .

Fantastic, Kiwi Cruzer.

Do you have a recommendation as to how to best visit Goat Island - is there a dive shop or snorkel tour that you would recommend? A specific bay to snorkel in?

Can it easily be done based in Auckland? If so, where would the best place to head to with the car, to best access Goat Island?

If I wanted to stay closer, so that I could maximize snorkelling opportunities, can you recommend a local BnB or campsite?

Since you are not far in Orewa, is there anything else in the area that you would recommend? A winery, a favourite restaurant, a peaceful spot?

Thank you very much for the excellent website - it has a wealth of info!

I used to stay in hostels quite a bit (and still do on occasion if a private room is available). Are NZ hostels as welcoming to seniors as the hostels in Europe are?

29 minutes ago, snowglobe said:

Thank you, MMDown Under.

I have those three areas in my sights - north of the Bay Islands, the Coromandels, and Rotoroua - as well as a Waiheke Island and around Gisborne too.

I like your idea of 3-night stays, but I need to ask:

What are ‘baches’? and where do you find them?

Oh I forgot Waiheke Island, which is a wonderful place to visit for a few days.  Baches are what New Zealanders call their holiday houses.  I have stayed in some memorable ones.  The old ones are very basic but in priceless locations, often right on the beachfront, where I doubt they could build now.  Just google baches and the location and see what  you find.

12 minutes ago, snowglobe said:

30 minutes ago, snowglobe said: