Ensenada mexico

lillulu

We arrive in Ensenada at 6:00 PM and depart at 11:00 PM. Others that have arrived at that time. What did you do? We do not drink so a wine tour would be out. I just want something fun to do with my daughter. Our ship doesn't really offer much. I guess because we our in port so late and not for long.

Thank you in advance. I appreciate any and all information you can share.

L

Weird hours, 6-11PM.

Where are you from? How often do you get good Mexican food?

I think I'd eat a nice meal in the shopping district, pick your nick nacks and call it a night.

Ensenada is well covered by Google Street View, you can see what the area is like around the restaurant you choose. Below is an example.

Mariscos Bahia de Ensenada

On 5/3/2019 at 7:35 AM, scottca075 said:

Weird hours, 6-11PM.

Where are you from? How often do you get good Mexican food?

I think I'd eat a nice meal in the shopping district, pick your nick nacks and call it a night.

Ensenada is well covered by Google Street View, you can see what the area is like around the restaurant you choose. Below is an example.

Mariscos Bahia de Ensenada

Hello Scottca075,

Yes, about the hours. We thought the same thing. I am from Georgia. Because it is a Hawaiian cruise I think they throw that port in so they stay legal of going out of the United States. We love Mexican food. I was looking on trip advisor and a gentleman was raving about a Mexican street truck. I also saw someone else was talking about it on another thread. I just wasn't sure how far it was to walk there or what was around the port area. Or if it was even worth getting off the ship. I wish we were there for the day. But, were not. Thanks for answering back.

• 3 weeks later...

Have been to Ensenada many times over the past 30 years. 

For dinner I'd recommend, in no particular order----

Mariscos Playa Azul $$ - very good fresh fish 

Birriera La Guadalajara $- Guadalajaran stew we get it dry

Cenaduria El Parian $ rarely do tourists come up this way.  The best horchata and jamaica drinks we've ever tasted.

El Mesa de Don Fernando $$ Try the Molcajete

Hacienda de Charo $$ famous for their wood fired rotisserie chicken in the front window. Avoid the french fries

These are quiet restaurants, a mariachi might stroll thru but haven't been bothered by anybody else. We've eaten in all of them within the past year

Edited by SadieN

You are correct that the main purpose of the stop is to fulfill your PVSA requirement of a foriegn port.  The timing is what works best for the cruise line not necessarily for the passengers.  As others have noted, there will be some shops open and / or your best option might be a good Mexican meal. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the replies. Are these restaurants in walking distance? When I looked at the google sight, it looks like it would be quite a hike into town. Are there cabs? Or some type of safe transportation we could take? TIA

We were on a similar cruise, and the day before we were to arrive in Ensenada, the captain announced we would arrive during the day - I think it was just after lunch. I don't know how often that happens, but with the change in arrival time, they added some tours. The winery tour is actually quite nice - it's a pleasant ride through the country side, and most of the time is taken up touring the facilities with an explanation of how they make the wines. The wine tasting wasn't that long, and also included bread, olives, and olive oil.

18 hours ago, lillulu said:

Thank you for the replies. Are these restaurants in walking distance? When I looked at the google sight, it looks like it would be quite a hike into town. Are there cabs? Or some type of safe transportation we could take? TIA

All the restaurants that SadieN mentions are close to port. El Charro is the farthest away at less than a mile. 

I’ve cruised to Ensenada many times.  After you exit your ship there is a small shopping area, after there is a shuttle service that charges $4 round trip to drop you off in downtown.  Otherwise it’s a good 20-30 min walk into town.  While on the shuttle they make a sales pitch to go to the buffadora (blow hole).  Usually the ship charges $30-40 for this excursion but you get the same tour for like $15.    They do offer other tours also, although I’m not sure how many tours would be offered that late.  Also my recommendation for eating is a place called el charro, it’s a rotisserie chicken place, large portions and very succulent.......

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, loonline said:

Has anyone heard of or been on the PaiPai Ecotourism Park tour where you can interact with lemurs, and baby tigers or lions through Ensanadatours.com?

I think it is a very, very bad thing.

I don't even know where to begin, but a legitimate business engaged in animal welfare would never let random people touch baby tigers and baby lions. Lions and tigers are not native to Mexico, so where are they coming from? Where do they go when they are no longer cute babies and manageable? A quick search on the Internet will produce some of the answers.

When you encounter these people in person a) they have answers for everything b) they use children as the shills because that adds to the innocence and wholesomeness of the scam.

This "Pai Pai" is not sanctioned by a single, reputable zoo or animal organization in the world. KGTV San Diego (ABC for San Diego) did an expose talking about them just about two years ago.

• Like 1

My favorite thing to do in Ensenada is to get a massage and/or a facial.   I've been going there for years and wouldn't miss it.  Great reviews my everyone who goes there.

Massage & Facial Care           60 min $40   90 min 60

Calle Primera/Lopez Mateos 743             Facial 60 min. $39

Tele 175-7313

Spatherapy@hotmail.com  You can email for an appointment or just show up.   Dean Tinney      www.ensenada.com/spa

This business is owned by an American and he trains his therapists.

They are located just a block and a half from where the shuttle lets you off.

Just cross the street (you are now across from McDonalds) walk the short block to the main street and cross the street.  Then down to the middle of the block.  The business is downstairs.