Eggs in ice cream?

Headed on Liberty of the Seas next weekend.  Does anyone know if there are eggs in the ice cream? My 3yo daughter was recently diagnosed with a minor egg allergy, and since she won’t be able to have various baked goods (likely) I was reminding her how much ice cream she ate on our cruise last year.  Then I remember some ice cream has eggs in it.  We will definitely check on board, but was thinking I better start easing her out of her ice cream dream to avoid seven days of crying if there are eggs in the ice cream!

thank you

Eggs are only in a custard based product and usually are labeled as a frozen custard ice cream or as "French." Think French vanilla ice cream.

The stuff in the soft serve "ice cream" machines isn't even ice cream, let alone custard based. It is a cheap ice milk product with the main ingredients being water, various sugars, then dried milk  byproducts with lots of gums to emulsify the mix.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Eggs are only in a custard based product and usually are labeled as a frozen custard ice cream or as "French." Think French vanilla ice cream.

The stuff in the soft serve "ice cream" machines isn't even ice cream, let alone custard based. It is a cheap ice milk product with the main ingredients being water, various sugars, then dried milk  byproducts with lots of gums to emulsify the mix.

LOL...hence the reason it is free...you get what you pay for.  😉 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I would be cautious of any scooped ice cream.

As stated, the soft serve is not really ice cream.

MANY years ago, I worked at McDonald's.  Part of our training was that we were to NEVER say "milk shake" as at the time, there was no milk at all in it.  I have noticed over time, the word milk comes and goes for their shakes.

We were recently on the Oasis of the Seas and my husband is allergic to eggs among other things. When we told them in the main dining room the maitre de would come to the table each night so my husband could tell him what he would like for dinner the next night. He wanted to make sure that whatever my husband wanted would be egg free and if it wasn't the meal was modified to be. They even went as far as making him desserts without eggs. A couple of nights they made him an eggless chocolate cake. 

They were all pretty amazing and I can't say enough of the dining staff we had. We had my time dining but they made sure that we had the same table every night so that the waiters were familiar with his allergies. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 5:49 AM, psujmatt said:

Headed on Liberty of the Seas next weekend.  Does anyone know if there are eggs in the ice cream? My 3yo daughter was recently diagnosed with a minor egg allergy, and since she won’t be able to have various baked goods (likely) I was reminding her how much ice cream she ate on our cruise last year.  Then I remember some ice cream has eggs in it.  We will definitely check on board, but was thinking I better start easing her out of her ice cream dream to avoid seven days of crying if there are eggs in the ice cream!

thank you

A lot of the Ben & Jerry's has egg yolks in it.

https://www.benjerry.com/flavors

A-

When I make ice cream, eggs are one of the primary ingredients.

Have no idea what they serve in the machines.  That said, if you make it at home with eggs... then probably expect the same.  Try the sorbet, no eggs

jc

I am also allergic to eggs. If it is scooped ice cream, there are usually eggs. Those machines are normally safer bets. But, custards have extra eggs! Gelato sometimes has less but I always ask! Sorbets are usually without egg, so the gelato area usually has a good one or two sorbeto !  Oh, and usually shortbread cookies have no eggs! Love me some cruise ship shortbread cookies!

If you have allergies, tell them in advance.  Then, talk to the head waiter, and they can tell you what's in the different foods.  Some ice-cream has eggs...some doesn't. The "frozen yogurt" soft-serve is simply that...frozen yogurt.

• 3 weeks later...

Update after our cruise.

The softserve had no egg, as reported above.

The main dining room scooped ice cream also had no egg.

In the main dining room, the chef was also making egg-free special desserts every night.  Unfortunately, our waiter (who was awful) never told us.  On the fourth night, the head waiter or whoever higher up came by and asked how things were going, especially with the allergy.  He asked how the special desserts were, and we had no idea what he was talking about!

Anyway,  bottom line, on our cruise, the ice cream (not Ben & Jerrys) was fine, and they were making egg-free desserts.  I encourage anyone to speak up, ask questions, and see what they can do or are already doing!

Just because I am from Wisconsin, I get a bit annoyed when people say ice cream has eggs in it. Ice cream never has eggs in it, if there is egg in it, then it is a custard. Now, Wisconsin is also home to many great custard stands and yes, people get lazy and say lets go get ice cream at Kopp's (um, they don't have ice cream, only custard). Here is a link to the flavors at the UW Dairy Store, if you click on the flavors, you will get the ingredient list you will note that only the custard based flavors have eggs. The bigger issue (at least at Wisconsin) was that the ice cream isn't vegetarian. Ice cream has gelatin, which is an animal by-product (and is used as a binder), so people who would be willing to eat dairy (and eggs) were upset that they had been eating gelatin and had no idea about that, so now people look at the ingredient list to find the one or two flavors that don't include gelatin, the "super premium flavors" use plant based binders. So, now you have one more thing to worry about.  https://babcockhalldairystore.wisc.edu/ice-cream/

Edited by WisconsinFan
  • Like 1

I don't doubt (though can't confirm) the accuracy of WisconsinFan's definitions for some official culinary protocol. However, I will note that Ben and Jerry's calls their produce "ice cream" even though most every flavor has at least egg yolk in it, e.g. https://www.benjerry.com/flavors/cherry-garcia-ice-cream

CREAM, SKIM MILK, LIQUID SUGAR (SUGAR, WATER), WATER, CHERRIES, SUGAR, EGG YOLKS, COCONUT OIL, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), FRUIT AND VEGETABLE CONCENTRATES (COLOR), COCOA POWDER, GUAR GUM, NATURAL FLAVORS, LEMON JUICE CONCENTRATE, CARRAGEENAN, MILK FAT, SOY LECITHIN.

3 hours ago, psujmatt said:

I don't doubt (though can't confirm) the accuracy of WisconsinFan's definitions for some official culinary protocol. However, I will note that Ben and Jerry's calls their produce "ice cream" even though most every flavor has at least egg yolk in it, e.g. https://www.benjerry.com/flavors/cherry-garcia-ice-cream

CREAM, SKIM MILK, LIQUID SUGAR (SUGAR, WATER), WATER, CHERRIES, SUGAR, EGG YOLKS, COCONUT OIL, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), FRUIT AND VEGETABLE CONCENTRATES (COLOR), COCOA POWDER, GUAR GUM, NATURAL FLAVORS, LEMON JUICE CONCENTRATE, CARRAGEENAN, MILK FAT, SOY LECITHIN.

Might be related to Flavors. Looking at one Ben & Jerrys flavor say "Eggs" another "None" and one you are listing "Egg Yoke". Have 2 other name brands in Freezer and no Eggs in either...

Edited by ONECRUISER

Psujmatt So glad that there are many options! Glad it went well, usually my experience has been that I am told what I am not allowed to eat. Like, you can only have this one  app item in the specialty restaurant. I look forward to my cruise to see if I will be told what I can eat! World of difference! And I will ask about the ice cream! 

• 4 months later...

Just back from another Liberty of the Seas cruise and this time we were told that the hard ice cream in dining room does have egg in it. I guess they changed providers? The sherbet does not have egg.  

Also, all the pasta on the ship has egg in it according to head waiter.  All the pizza, too. Kids camp dinner at first told us they could not accommodate allergy (pizza is main food every night) but I I asked a second time and they said they can substitute food if you tell them an alternative. 

On 5/3/2019 at 9:42 AM, Iamcruzin said:

Cruise ship soft serve never tasted good to me. Now I know why.

Mike - give this a try. Get some of that soft serve vanilla or chocolate, a cup full of ice, and a cup of coffee. Mix all three. Wow, a delicious and free fancy coffee drink. I read this on here somewhere before and finally tried it. Heaven!

Edited by johnjen
  • Like 2

On 5/3/2019 at 8:49 AM, psujmatt said:

thank you

Eggs in ice cream are usually found in the really rich custard like ice creams made in the French style.. 

I don't think ships go through the steps to use eggs rather than just cream,

BUT TO BE SURE I would just ask once on the ship..

4 hours ago, mitz18 said:

Geez Bob.  I could have done without that into.  Can’t even pronounce most of those ingredients....

Bob

Need a Chemical Engineering degree?😉