Family Trip

robcruz

Our whole family (7 adults and 6 children) is going to Alaska on the Volendam in late June - early July. Vancouver to Vancouver with the ports of call being  Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. The kids are ages 5 to 14. I'd like to have some recommendations for some easy tours that the kids would enjoy, such as seeing animals, riding trains and looking at glaciers. Thanks for your help.

The U.S. National Park Service operates the northern unit of the Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park in Skagway.  A number of the old buildings have been restored and are now museums.  In addition they operate a Junior Ranger program in one of the old saloons, which would be suitable for some of the younger kids.  Go to the NPS website for more info:  www.nps.gov/klgo

In Juneau you may consider going out to Mendenhall Glacier, or, depending on the weather,  the tram to the top of Mt. Roberts.

In Ketchikan I've never done it, but understand that the lumberjack show is popular with kids.  Another consideration might be the Deadliest Catch excursion.

Our family (a lot smaller only 2 adults and a 10 year old) are doing same stops in july.  We booked the ziplining in skagway (grizzly falls i think it's called) as it looks great for whole family and is one of the less strenuous ones from what i can see - in regards to lots of walking anyway.  

Also booked the helicopter tour up to glacier and dog sledding camp but of course that works out so much cheaper for a family of 3 than a family of 7... plus I think the helicopters only take 6 at a time?

Juneau - gold panning and salmon bake because our 10 year old really wants to do the gold panning and I'm keen on the salmon!  Ketchikan - starting to look at cheaper options so probably the lumberjack show and also i believe it's just nice to walk around there - i've read there's a rainbird trail about 20 mins from cruise dock.  I'll investigate that more closer to the time.  

Anyway i guess it depends on your interests... there's so much to pick from, but we figure we can't do everything... this time anyway!  

My girls were 10 and 12 on their first Alaskan Cruise, and  12 and 14 on the second one.  Some of the excursions they still talk about (almost 10 years later): dog sledding and PUPPIES(!!!), the Lumberjack Show, ziplining, and panning for gold.  We regularly visit National parks so they also loved the Junior Ranger program at Mendenhall and Skagway.  We also did a lot of hiking just to get some exercise off the ship.

what they didn’t enjoy and I regret paying for is the train ride—both of them fell asleep and missed all the great scenery!  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, disneyochem said:

My girls were 10 and 12 on their first Alaskan Cruise, and  12 and 14 on the second one.  Some of the excursions they still talk about (almost 10 years later): dog sledding and PUPPIES(!!!), the Lumberjack Show, ziplining, and panning for gold.  We regularly visit National parks so they also loved the Junior Ranger program at Mendenhall and Skagway.  We also did a lot of hiking just to get some exercise off the ship.

what they didn’t enjoy and I regret paying for is the train ride—both of them fell asleep and missed all the great scenery!  

I'm so pleased to hear this seeing it is exactly what we've booked for our trip!  

• Like 1

We sailed last August when our kids were 10, 10 and 6.75 years old.

In Ketchikan, we did the Deadliest Catch excursion and they loved it. We got to see marine life up close, hold a crab and spot prawn, watch them longline fish and throw pots over and retrieve them, and watch them throw bait in the water while 25 or so eagles swooped down to catch the fish. It was amazing, educational and fun.

In Juneau, we rented a van and drove to Mendenhall Glacier, Eagle Point Beach and the DIPAC Salmon Hatchery. We liked the ability to explore on our own and go at our own pace. It was a fun and laid back day and not very expensive. We wanted to do the tram, but it was rainy and foggy all day.

In Skagway, we took a private tour and went to Carcross, Emerald Lake, and the Caribou Crossing sled dog camp. Since it was only our family on the tour, we could stop when we wanted/needed. We had lots of time to wander as we wished, take photos, etc. The kids loved the sled dog cart ride (what a rush!) and the adorable puppies. We knew that the train was not a must do for us. Our kids would have enjoyed it for the first 20 minutes and then been bored out of their mind, and not been able to roam freely. The private tour was better for their freedom and exploring nature, and our desire to see and do as much as possible.

We went whale watching in Icy Strait Point/Hoonah and it was the best thing we did IMO, but we all loved the whole trip.

I will also add having done three grandparent,children, grandchildren cruises with about the same number of persons, we never tried to schedule excursions for all of us. Something was suggested and whoever wanted to do it signed on. It takes away a lot of the stress by not forcing everyone to go ziplining. We learned that the hard way when one grandchild balked at the top and ended up riding down the mountain with the company workers. However, I do think Alaska because it is so different has excursions that everyone may be really excited about - vs. the Caribbean which is pretty much the same thing everywhere. 

The nice thing about multi family cruises is everyone can get together at dinner for a daily recap!

Ours will be 5 and 9 when we go this August.  We will be doing the train with dog sledding and gold panning in Skagway.  That was we hit all the basics.  Then, we will do the whale watching and Mendenhall glacier in Juneau.  If we have time we will go to the salmon hatchery as our youngest loves anything dealing with fish.  (But, in Juneau we will separate and my husband and father-in-law will go out actual fishing while my mother-in-law and I take the kids on the other excursion.)

I would love to do the helicopter with dog sledding, but that is unfortunately out of our price range at this time.  I figure that I will not allow this to be our only trip to Alaska, lol.  So, we can save that for another time. 

I would rent 2 cars in Skagway the train cost about 150.00 pp you could rent 2 mini vans for about 400.00 and drive the Klondike hwy we did this with our family the road and the train follow each other but with the car you can stop and get out 

you can pay for Murry's guide I think it was about 5.00 and it gives you driver guide and what to see.

we also rented a car in Juneau it was cheapest way to get to the glacier

in Ketchikan  the bus system is easy to use you can go to their website and download the maps they have a free city bus that does a  loop around the city  and if you use the regular bus it is 2.00pp each way 

Vancouver Stanley park is a must see and if you are staying a couple of days there go to Capilano suspension bridge the kids will love this