Rhapsody from Venice

Anyone currently on Rhapsody transatlantic, or on the first few cruises ex Venice, can you check how easy and quick it is to disembark and clear immigration. We have an 11.15 flight and I've heard that the airport is a zoo so will want to get off ASAP. Also are there plenty of taxi's at the port, thanks Sue

Edited by sgmn
Spl

In previous sailings on ROTS from Venice we have walked off the ship doing self assist in about ten minutes between 07.00 and 07.30 with no problems walked to the waiting taxis about two minutes away and were at the zoo that is Marco Polo airport within about twenty five minutes.

Trevisio is an excellent airport to fly and depart from.( Ryanair )

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

No problems in the past. Better though to travel by a car taxi rather than the water bus or taxi. I've been to Marco Polo many times and it really isn't that bad.

I was concerned about an early flight as well so I walked off early and got to the airport asap.  When I got there, I discovered that check-in for my flight didn't open until three hours before it.  So, I ended up cooling my heels for a while.   The other thing I didn't know was that there are "flexible" desks for check in, or at least there were for the airline I was on that only had a single flight out of that airport.  Took me a bit to figure that one out.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was used to going to say the American Airlines Counter to check in.  There wasn't an American Airlines counter per se.   A little while before the flight, it was posted that American would use areas D through F (or maybe they were numbers) for check in.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Travel R said:

A couple of times we flew with Jet2 (UK airline) and there was no check in gate announced beforehand so when the gate was announced it was a stampede and even though we were early arriving we ended up near the back of the line.

I guess this is what was meant by flexible.

The check in took 1 hour and we literally ended up rushing after getting through security to get to our departure gate.

2 hours ago, Travel R said:

When we normally go to the airport, you know that this is the American Airlines check-in counter, over there is the United Airlines check in counter, further on is Southwest Airlines counters, etc,etc. 

At Marco Polo there are only maybe 10 check in counters and all airlines use these counters. Maybe British Airways is using a couple, then when all their customers are checked in, maybe Delta takes over those specific counters, and on and on.

A counter for your flight will not even open until 3 hours before scheduled departure.

FWIW when we got off the ship in Venice (we has boarded in Venice) there was no Customs and Immigrations checks as normal when getting off the ship in Miami or FLL or wherever here in the States. Just grab your luggage and go.

@klfrodo - Quick question - at the moment, the plan is flying into Rome, driving around Italy until eventually driving to Venice and leave car at rent-a-car by the airport.  We will be in no rush, so we plan on taking the water taxi from the airport into Venice (and two days later,  a taxi from hotel to cruise port). How did you get from the cruise port to the airport (I am trying to figure out the most efficient means)?