Online camera purchase

Thanks to this board, I have been able to narrow down my camera choice to the Sony A6400. Looking for advice on where to purchase. There is not a camera shop nearby, so BestBuy is my only local option. I could always purchase from Amazon, but I suspect I may find more support from a retailer that specializes in photography equipment. Can anyone recommend a good online source? Thanks!

1 hour ago, Mommydust said:

Thanks to this board, I have been able to narrow down my camera choice to the Sony A6400. Looking for advice on where to purchase. There is not a camera shop nearby, so BestBuy is my only local option. I could always purchase from Amazon, but I suspect I may find more support from a retailer that specializes in photography equipment. Can anyone recommend a good online source? Thanks!

I have no major camera store near me either. I have purchased from B&H Photo occasionally since there was actual mail order and long distance cost money. Lately, with few exceptions, I have purchased most of my equipment from Amazon. The few times I have had issues with a shipment (never with camera equipment), I have found their customer service excellent. Be sure the unit you choose lists Amazon as the seller. They also represent many independent sellers and I can't vouch for their service. Also, select the fastest shipping method. I have Prime but will pay the $5.99 for next day if it isn't free. Premium services are generally gentler with packages and the less time spent in the pipeline, the better.

Dave

4 hours ago, Mommydust said:

I just ordered one from Amazon last week, we paid with points for the camera, extra lens. The price is basically the same everywhere, shipping, service and availability is the variable. There is an excellent review in this discussion by @havoc315 and a blog  https://enthusiastphotoblog.com/ that discusses the setup and where to get accessories and what lenses.

the blog is in his post

Edited by AlanF65

Another recommendation for B&H.  (They are in Manhattan, btw.)  Their customer service is excellent, and if there are any issues, you can actually get them on the phone.  

Enjoy your a6400.  I love my a6300 (and the a6000 that preceded it!).

Edited by Turtles06

B&H.  They have great customer service and knowledgeable people on the phone.  When you get beyond just buying a camera and want lenses, filters, etc. you will be much better off with a real camera store.  They can actually sell you the correct item in the right size.

B&H and Adorama are two of big ones. Both have actual stores in NYC and are very big with online sales.  I have bought cameras and lenses form both with no issues. I've only bought filters, cleaning kits, L brackets and other minor accessories form amazon. I prefer to buy the expensive stuff from a camera store rather than amazon. (personal choice)

B&H offers free shipping and no sales tax, plus they threw in a few extras like a shoulder bag when I purchased my Sony DSC RX10ii from them.  I've also purchased a Sony A6300 from them recently.  Highly recommended . . .  

Edited by billandsue
typo

As long as you purchase from an authorized dealer, it really doesn't matter which. Most online will offer free shipping. With many online detailers, if out of state, you may avoid sales tax.

And while the price is the same at all authorized dealers, you will sometimes get some packaged free "accessories." Often, they are cheap junk and you're better off skipping them. (Junk -- an old slow memory card, a really cheap camera bag, a $20 tripod that will break in 3 seconds......Sometimes there are useful accessories, but usually those types of incentives come after a camera has been on the market for a while -- Things like a good microphone, a fast memory card, good tripods, etc).   

But I wouldn't worry about "support"... THere are typically pretty similar return policies. 

I have used Abe’s of Maine often and they also stand behind their sales!

www.abesofmaine.com

Living in New York I have visited B&H and store is amazing! It is like being a kid in a candy store!

On 5/4/2019 at 6:12 AM, Mommydust said:

During setup you are asked to capture a qr code for software, the software has been discontinued /renamed and replaced with a new software " Imaging Edge Software for Mobile".

5 hours ago, LJJQ said:

Living in New York I have visited B&H and store is amazing! It is like being a kid in a candy store!

It's truly remarkable.  Not just the inventory, but how the store operates.  I was blown away when I made my first purchase; I was standing across a long counter from the salesperson, and he suddenly reached below the counter and pulled out whatever it was I'd just bought.  I looked down and saw the long conveyor belt moving the purchases along.  Awesome.

On 5/6/2019 at 3:14 PM, havoc315 said:

As long as you purchase from an authorized dealer, it really doesn't matter which. Most online will offer free shipping. With many online detailers, if out of state, you may avoid sales tax.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the following yet.  Until this week, B&H has been one of those online retailers that has not collected state sales tax.  But states are now allowed to require such retailers to collect their sales taxes.  So this week, B&H launched something called "Payboo."   From what I can tell, it's an arrangement with Synchrony Bank to get a Payboo credit card that lets B&H customers in certain states make a B&H purchase, pay the state sales tax, and then, it appears, get an immediate reward.  I'm not sure of the amount of the reward because I don't live in an eligible state so I can't see "the savings."

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/l/save-instantly?utm_medium=Email 1722414&utm_campaign=CustomerService&utm_source=Payboo-No-Tax 190507&utm_content=Retail&utm_term=payboo-save-instantly&encEmail=026CFD4BDAB45D712F595F4437586E79881722448E9BFF98B69F3CF8BCE420AA

• Thanks 1

Thank you. I was prepared to purchase from B&H until I got socked with a $100 charge for taxes. Unfortunately, since Payboo works like a credit card, they require more information than I care to hand over. The savings however is equivalent to what I’d be paying in sales tax. At this point, I’ll be looking for a good retailer out of state. (I’m a NY resident).

Edited by Mommydust

Regarding state sales taxes not collected by on-line retailers, in many (if not all) states that have sales taxes, you are supposed to pay a use tax for the purchased item.  (Check your state tax return.)

Also, with the recent US Supreme Court [South Dakota vs Wayfair ] decision, sales tax is being charged on more and more online transactions. 😞

Who knows, perhaps one day, the 'duty free' purchases abroad ship may one again be a better buy.

This week B&H sent an email about a new program they have started, Payboo.  It appears to be a store account, not a credit card.  When you buy something they charge sales tax and then give you an immediate refund for the amount of the sales tax.  I'm not sure I buy enough stuff from them to justify joining, but if I were going to buy a camera or lens I would certainly consider it.  Our sales tax is 9.5% which tends to add up.  But I'm sure it all goes to a good use and none of it is wasted....

17 hours ago, Re-tired said:

This week B&H sent an email about a new program they have started, Payboo.  It appears to be a store account, not a credit card.  When you buy something they charge sales tax and then give you an immediate refund for the amount of the sales tax.  I'm not sure I buy enough stuff from them to justify joining, but if I were going to buy a camera or lens I would certainly consider it.  Our sales tax is 9.5% which tends to add up.  But I'm sure it all goes to a good use and none of it is wasted....

Um, see posts 15 and 16 above...

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2019 at 5:28 PM, Turtles06 said:

Another recommendation for B&H.  (They are in Manhattan, btw.)  Their customer service is excellent, and if there are any issues, you can actually get them on the phone.  

Thank you, and everyone else here who had positive things to say about B&H. It's very gratifying. I'd be happy to help the OP, or anyone else here, if needed.

Edited by henryp

• 2 weeks later...

I would check with the manufacturer. Make sure that the place you are purchasing, from is an authorized dealer. Some of the online places are selling gray market items. These are items made by the manufacturer, to sell out of the country. But then are sent back to the states and sold. The manufacturer does not honor the warranty on the product.

Thank you Greg! I’m a bit late updating this post. I went ahead and purchased the A6400 from B&H. I used payboo after all, was credited an amount equivalent to sales tax immediately, and transaction was swift and smooth. Camera arrived via FedEx the NEXT DAY. Too soon almost, as my DH was suspicious I’d ordered the camera in advance of asking his approval. A+ experience with B&H.

• Like 2