First Time on Silversea - Long

hamasgirl

3 hours ago, hamasgirl said:

Yes...I did read the dress code for Silversea and we did dress as required.  I just think that that whole business is silly but as I have been reminded...not everybody agrees.

This seems rather like choosing to go to a Mexican restaurant and then being dissatisfied because only Mexican food was on offer. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I asked my husband who even in his retirement doesn’t mind donning a tie now & then & spent his career in executive suites and board rooms etc......how he really felt about SS dress code, since we take our first SS cruise on Muse in December.  His reply was he didn’t mind the suit & tie on formal nights as long I do not insist on the tuxedo.....not unless we are booked on the TA QE2 on New Years Eve....I told him that could be arranged.😍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, MalbecWine said:

So, you will also meet people in the dress code arena that do not suit your taste but why begrudge them if they look nice and may be sans a simple tie.

I don’t begrudge them at all.  But, I don’t understand your logic at all.  Are you saying you think it’s totally okay for someone to infringe upon my enjoyment of a formal night when opportunities to dine somewhere else, both informally or casually, exist?  And, because they want to dine in a venue that has a formal dress code for the night, you think as long as they look nice they should be allowed to dine, is that correct?

10 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

One evening we went into Atlantide and asked for a table for five. We were asked to wait in the bar and then forgotten.

That’s a real shame.  Considering the maître d' should have seen you sitting in the bar every time he/she sat other passengers, i at least hope they came to your table to apologize for their forgetfulness.  Glad you enjoyed your voyage.

10 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Personally I Don't get much opportunity to get dressed up in my day to day life and love the opportunity of doing so on holiday. I'd  really miss it if the formal night disappeared. Where I think it gets a bit more confusing is between casual and informal. I don't really see any benefit from having those two further dress codes and I think this is where a lot of peoples frustration stems from. If SS just stuck to either formal or whatever you want to call it, informal, smart casual, whatever, then it would be a lot less contentious an issue.

You very well may be right about the contentious issue Davey.  And, like you, we enjoy the opportunity to dress up on holiday.  I guess we’re the odd ones, because we love all three different dress nights.  I love wearing linen pants or dress jeans on causal night, just as much as wearing a sport jacket on informal night, or my tuxedo or suit on formal night.  We just love the mix of it all.

7 hours ago, WQGuy said:

I would just add that the options for dining casual at the Grill or enjoying a pizza outside become problematic when the wind across the deck is at 15 knots...

Plus the Silver Muse staff seems to struggle to meet the service demand when tours return to the ship after 2 p.m. and all other dining options have closed.

You are definitely right WQGuy about dining in the wind in an outside.  Not enjoyable at all.  

And, there certainly is room for improvement in the scenario you describe when tours return.  Any restaurant, whether at sea or land, will struggle when diners all arrive within a 15-minute window.  The frustrating part is that SS, or any cruise line for that matter, should know how many passengers they have on tour and are most likely to return in order to staff properly.  With that said, we’ve been on board when SS has extended La Terrazza lunch hours for the very reason you describe.  It’s a shame it didn’t happen during your voyage.

7 hours ago, hamasgirl said:

Aren't we lucky that there are so many good choices in the cruise business for folks with different like/needs to be met.

You are are so right hamasgirl!  Very lucky indeed.  And, again, thank you for starting this thread and sharing your perspective on your voyage.

7 hours ago, MalbecWine said:

The future of dress codes will ultimately depend on future luxury guests on luxury lines.  There are many wealthy and extremely wealthy younger people who will have no interest in joining fancy dressy clubs or sailing on strict ships that are too formal.  

Many high paid paid professionals want to relax and the last thing they want to do is drag a Tuxedo or Suit with them.  Times will change whether we like it or not.

I think the the hardest part is projecting our assumptions of personal likes/dislikes onto a broader grouping as a whole.  You bring up many points that I agree with, but just in an opposite fashion.  

We happen to be Generation X’ers who live in a very casual state and own a professional services firm that has a wide variety of clients, all of whom who tend to dress casually in their corporate environments.  As such, we find not only ourselves, but our friends as well, enjoy dressing up on the very few occasions provided when sailing on SS.  And, I can’t begin to tell you the fun our family has had together, and the pleasure we derive, when shopping for new outfits for our trips.

Like I said earlier, I don’t begrudge anyone who wishes to dress casually.  Just don’t begrudge my enjoyment of a line that best meets our needs.  I would never dream of complaining to, or trying to convince, a cruise line that doesn’t offer a formal night once a week, that they should change their dress code policy.

4 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

The fact that the dress code was, it appeared, reasonably strictly enforced, was one of the main reasons that I chose SS.

The only part of the dress code that I do not adhere to is that of wearing a jacket without a tie. Being an old fashioned stick in the mud I always wear a tie with a jacket. 

I hear you.  We were in our early 40’s when we took our first cruise with SS and the formal night is but one of the reasons we return time and time again now that we’re in our early 50’s.

And, don’t worry about wearing your tie with your jackets.  I’m one of those guys who goes sans tie on informal nights, but I always appreciate those gentlemen who don’t as they look super sharp.

• Like 3

Men can look super dapper without a tie for sure.  I’m in your age bracket and see men dressed very well even sans jacket or tie in very nice venues.  This will all change in the future.  To be turned away these days not having a tie is very rare at least in the US.

13 minutes ago, MalbecWine said:

Men can look super dapper without a tie for sure.  I’m in your age bracket and see men dressed very well even sans jacket or tie in very nice venues.  This will all change in the future.  To be turned away these days not having a tie is very rare at least in the US.

Luckily we do not cruise on a US cruise line, even though RCI owns 66% of SS. If they change SS we will be off like a shot.

• Like 2

Not sure what you hope to achieve here. Clearly SS has a loyal following for its product. That product doesn't suit you. There are plenty of other choices. 

Continuing to witter on about the dress code seems a peculiarly unproductive avenue. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just got off Seabourn Encore March 19' and they are a perfect fit for the OP. People wore jeans, Hawaiian shirts, & tennis shoes to dinner (including the Thomas Keller grill)  Ladies were in spandex work out style bottoms in the MDR...and they also have an outdoor dining "Earth and Ocean" in the evening where your food can get cold quickly. We had similar issues when returning to ship at 2:30pm getting service at main pool deck was very slow along with long waits for room. The MDR was open ONE HOUR for lunch, even on sea days.

The food was repetitive mainly lamb, scallops, and steak and low quality frozen fish with NO locally sourced ingredients or products. Buffet filled with starches and very limited selections of high quality protein. Lobster was served once on 1st formal night on a 14 day cruise. Sushi restaurant only served Bento Boxes for lunch (how cheap); never saw any sushi anywhere for lunch!   They served baloney on the buffet, in the Observation lounge, and during the final "gourmet bites" deck party the last day of the cruise. We asked for crab legs and the chef said they don't have any on board (no crab on a 6star cruiseline)? We found the food quality and variety severely lacking and comparable to Celebrity, well below Oceania or Regent.  

We are going on the Silver Spirit next month Norway 14 days...hopefully the food quality is higher than 1st Seabourn...fingers crossed. We have reservations at all the restaurants, and are on wait list for a few. Can't wait to compare our experiences on both SS and Seabourn after our June return from the Silver Spirit.

IMG_20190325_184640.jpg

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Accessor said:

Just got off Seabourn Encore March 19' and they are a perfect fit for the OP. People wore jeans, Hawaiian shirts, & tennis shoes to dinner (including the Thomas Keller grill)  Ladies were in spandex work out style bottoms in the MDR...and they also have an outdoor dining "Earth and Ocean" in the evening where your food can get cold quickly. We had similar issues when returning to ship at 2:30pm getting service at main pool deck was very slow along with long waits for room. The MDR was open ONE HOUR for lunch, even on sea days.

The food was repetitive mainly lamb, scallops, and steak and low quality frozen fish with NO locally sourced ingredients or products. Buffet filled with starches and very limited selections of high quality protein. Lobster was served once on 1st formal night on a 14 day cruise. Sushi restaurant only served Bento Boxes for lunch (how cheap); never saw any sushi anywhere for lunch!   They served baloney on the buffet, in the Observation lounge, and during the final "gourmet bites" deck party the last day of the cruise. We asked for crab legs and the chef said they don't have any on board (no crab on a 6star cruiseline)? We found the food quality and variety severely lacking and comparable to Celebrity, well below Oceania or Regent.  

We are going on the Silver Spirit next month Norway 14 days...hopefully the food quality is higher than 1st Seabourn...fingers crossed. We have reservations at all the restaurants, and are on wait list for a few. Can't wait to compare our experiences on both SS and Seabourn after our June return from the Silver Spirit.

IMG_20190325_184640.jpg

WOW

How cruise lines define luxury is somewhat amazing, we just got off the Wind and one morning I ordered waffles for breakfast

and when they came I thought they looked very white in color proceeded to try one and it tasted like cardboard then called the supervisor and asked them if they were in fact frozen,I replied isn't SS a luxury cruise line and to serve frozen waffles at this price point is crazy and there reply was all is good 

I then met with the HD and he confirmed they are frozen and come from an outside vendor as do the onion rings, I then brought up the word LUXURY and he said they do it in order to have a consistent product,my reply was if you make pancakes fresh I do not think waffles are that more difficult, the worst part of the conversation was he agreed with everything said,as we proceeded ashore I told him I was going to IHOP

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, etual324 said:

WOW

How cruise lines define luxury is somewhat amazing, we just got off the Wind and one morning I ordered waffles for breakfast

and when they came I thought they looked very white in color proceeded to try one and it tasted like cardboard then called the supervisor and asked them if they were in fact frozen,I replied isn't SS a luxury cruise line and to serve frozen waffles at this price point is crazy and there reply was all is good 

I then met with the HD and he confirmed they are frozen and come from an outside vendor as do the onion rings, I then brought up the word LUXURY and he said they do it in order to have a consistent product,my reply was if you make pancakes fresh I do not think waffles are that more difficult, the worst part of the conversation was he agreed with everything said,as we proceeded ashore I told him I was going to IHOP

Sorry to hear of the appalling service from the HD re your frozen waffles as we join the Wind for the next cruise.Who is the HD?

1 hour ago, etual324 said:

one morning I ordered waffles for breakfast

Could you tell us at which outlet this occurred?  I have frequently had waffles in MDR on classic ships and Atlantide on Musified ships and I am confident they were freshly made.  I could perhaps understand the use of frozen waffles in La Terrazza where there are huge crushes before tours are departing, guests are often in a hurry, and it would be challenging to provide fresh waffles in a timely manner. 

Edited by Observer

Whilst on the Wind, I too had a problem with the waffles at breakfast ... I ate too many ... they were delicious served either with fresh fruit and cream or with syrup .. or both on one day🤪

Edited by MBP&O2/O
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Whilst on the Wind, I too had a problem with the waffles at breakfast ... I ate too many ... they were delicious served either with fresh fruit and cream or with syrup .. or both on one day

Sounds like you are a terrible "victim" and that Silversea is the "guilty party" by offering good food.  Seriously, when we sail on the Silver Muse in late July on the way up to Alaska, I will check as to how the waffles are produced . . . frozen . . . OR . . . fresh-made??  Inquiring minds need to know for certain.  

On the dress-code, personally I can be happy being dressing up (but not a tux) and/or being more casual.  Am happy with this upcoming Alaska cruise that Silversea has reasonable flexibility to help us in not needing to pack and haul too much "extra" stuff.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 46,392 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

We just returned from a Silverseas sailing on Silver Spirit from Barcelona to Rome. It was our first time with Silversea.

I had mixed reviews as well sailing with them.

I liked our specious suite and the service was quite good. 

However, as the OP stated, the dining options are rather limited. I did not like the fact that dinner started late- 7pm at the earliest.  And, I also thought the dress code on non formal nights was too formal.

There was also no casual dining options in the evening except for room service.

The shows were also on late - at 10pm.

I would prefer the option to eat at 6 and go to a show at 8 or even 9.

Also, I got ill- food poisoning. I am pretty sure it was from an oyster in the lunch buffet. I was sick all night, and then quarentined all the next day. After I recovered I was fine the rest of the trip.

While I enjoyed luxury crusing, I don't think I would do Silversea again as I would prefer earlier dining options/earlier shows/less formal dining options.

2 hours ago, Observer said:

Could you tell us at which outlet this occurred?  I have frequently had waffles in MDR on classic ships and Atlantide on Musified ships and I am confident they were freshly made.  I could perhaps understand the use of frozen waffles in La Terrazza where there are huge crushes before tours are departing, guests are often in a hurry, and it would be challenging to provide fresh waffles in a timely manner. 

La Terrazza  in reference to your point if they can make fresh not frozen pancakes why not waffles,come on now how  challenging is it,???

take it off the menu in lieu of serving a SUB STANDARD product aboard a LUXURY cruise line

25 minutes ago, etual324 said:

La Terrazza  in reference to your point if they can make fresh not frozen pancakes why not waffles,come on now how  challenging is it,???

take it off the menu in lieu of serving a SUB STANDARD product aboard a LUXURY cruise line

Your suggestion that waffles (frozen variety) not be offered in La Terrazza makes some sense sense.  One can prepare a large number of pancakes at once on a large griddle.  If I recall correctly, each waffle requires a separate waffle iron.  The galley in La Terrazza is not that large.  For super fresh waffles, I suggest the MDR.

43 minutes ago, amawells said:

There was also no casual dining options in the evening except for room service.

This should not have been the case on Spirit.  The Grill and Spaccanapoli are always casual, even on formal nights.

7 minutes ago, Observer said:

Your suggestion that waffles (frozen variety) not be offered in La Terrazza makes some sense sense.  One can prepare a large number of pancakes at once on a large griddle.  If I recall correctly, each waffle requires a separate waffle iron.  The galley in La Terrazza is not that large.  For super fresh waffles, I suggest the MDR.

As per the HD aboard the WIND this is a fleet wide product he did not ask which venue this occurred nor did  I say where I had eaten

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Observer said:

This should not have been the case on Spirit.  The Grill and Spaccanapoli are always casual, even on formal nights.

The Grill was only in the afternoon, not evening- it became Hot Rocks, reservations only. and Spaccanapoli is just pizza, nothing else.

4 minutes ago, amawells said:

The Grill was only in the afternoon, not evening- it became Hot Rocks, reservations only. and Spaccanapoli is just pizza, nothing else.

I may be mistaken, but I do not think it is called Hot Rocks any longer.  I believe it is The Grill whenever open.  In any case, the reservations issue does not make it any less casual.  I have had great success simply showing up without reservations and getting a table.

Saying "just pizza" are fighting words to pizza lovers who think the thin crust Spaccanapoli pizza is wonderful.  🙂

It was a completely different menu in the evening- it had the hot rocks menu but not the grill menu. We ate there in the evening once with reservations, it was okay. 

Yes, the pizza at Spaccanapoli was very good, but again, we didn't want to eat there every night.

There were no places to just stroll in and eat casually in the evening without a reservation, except for the pizza restaurant. I would have preferred to have had at least one casual option or even a buffet option in the evening as an alternative.

7 hours ago, etual324 said:

WOW

LOL I actually think I saw this. Were you in La Terrazza on the inside but right next to the terrace glass smack back in the middle of the row?

Edit.... just now read you've said it was La Terrazza.... Think it was probably the first sea day after St Thomas....

Can't say I disagree. They seemed most surprised at your suggestion a luxury cruise line shouldnt be serving frozen waffles..... and them being told to remove them from your table.

Overall, how did you enjoy the cruise.... waffles aside?

Edited by les37b