Are there airlines you avoid for long international travel?

txflood33

Most of my travel has been domestic in the US and aboard the 3 main lines (AA, United, Delta...mainly AA). I did fly on British Airways from London to Rome on the second leg of a flight from Chicago. Looking to book flights to Hong Kong and return from Shanghai and and simply not as familiar with some of the lines that way.

I found a good flight with no stops on Cathay Pacific in Premium Economy...just not familiar with them and not looking to spend 15 hours on a bad flight. Just not wanting to be surprised with something like Spirit Airlines.

Are there any that you avoid or that are your "go to"?

14 minutes ago, txflood33 said:

Most of my travel has been domestic in the US and aboard the 3 main lines (AA, United, Delta...mainly AA). I did fly on British Airways from London to Rome on the second leg of a flight from Chicago. Looking to book flights to Hong Kong and return from Shanghai and and simply not as familiar with some of the lines that way.

I found a good flight with no stops on Cathay Pacific in Premium Economy...just not familiar with them and not looking to spend 15 hours on a bad flight. Just not wanting to be surprised with something like Spirit Airlines.

Cathy Pacific is an excellent airline.  At least it was several years ago when I flew on that airline.

Singapore Airlines may be the best in the World.

Living in Georgia, we generally fly Delta and have excellent results from them as well as Air France (same ff network). In fact, we did Delta/Air France when going to Singapore and back from Dubai in 2015.  It was great.

To your original question, any airlines to avoid.

I would advise you to check reviews of any airline that you choose.  American is my least favorite US line.  However, in rare moments, when their rates are the very best, we still would fly with them.

Iberia has a poor reputation, but I cannot say that is currently justified.  Lufthansa is excellent.

We looked at flying Turkish Airlines because of a great fare, but Delta's price went down and we didn't.  However, we have been told that Turkish Airlines was pretty good.

I have met people on cruises that flew on Norwegian Airlines and had a bad experience.  Still, not sure that is evidence of an across the board rating.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, txflood33 said:

We flew Cathay non-stop from Washington Dulles to Hong Kong and back Feb/March of this year. It was a 16 hour flight (yikes!) so we booked premium economy. I thought it was a good product. Champagne and hot towel when we boarded. Good quality food on board (compared to United, at least). Seat that reclined and had a foot rest. Wide choice of movies on a large setback TV.

I would recommend them.

We sailed Cunard, but my review (link below) does describe the flights and has photos of the in flight meals.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=652581

We flew Norwegian last October direct from San Francisco area to Barcelona and again from Rome direct to SF area (Oakland). 

It was a fantastic experience.  Before that we flew British Air.  Both were excellent. We did fly Premium econ, though, but everyone I know who has flown regular coach has had a good experiences, as well.  We try to avoid the American-based carriers like the plague now,  as the service level just doesn’t compare, unless you are in Business class, and even then the foreign-based carriers are exceptional.  

We had no problems flying Iberian Airlines, either.  Our worst experience was with American Airlines to Madrid.  My friends all flew American from BCN to SFO a few years ago, while we were on BA, and they all had delays, plane changes, lots of issues leading up to the trip.

We used to like American,  until  1998.  They just change schedules too much anymore. 

I vote Norwegian number one right now. Great service, good food, efficient. 

And great fare rates. 

Edited by 4cats4me

We’ve made most of our flights with Delta or it’s partners (KLM/AirFrance) , and got Comfort which helps. The only airline I flew that I’d never take again was Pegasus, a Turk airline. My flight was in an older airplane. The attendants spent a huge amount of time selling stuff - I kind of expected them to break out rugs and work the crowd! I picked it for cost - my experience was very bad, but it’s cheap (or should I have said ‘inexpensive?) and it’s listed as a Discount Airlines. 

I think 4772Papa’s post is excellent - gives you their opinion, but keeps it in perspective. So many of our posts state opinion as ‘fact’. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 4cats4me said:

I vote Norwegian number one right now. Great service, good food, efficient. 

And great fare rates. 

As Norwegian is on the verge of bankruptcy I would be very careful recommending people to put their money there.  They may end up out of pocket or stranded somewhere - as very recently happened with Wow and Jet Airways passengers. 

Also, Norwegian doesn’t fly from the US to Asia so it’s irrelevant to the opp.  

Cathay Pacific is an excellent choice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have flown EVA Air ( I thought it was Chinese but just looked it up - it is Taiwanese ) and it was the best kind - large airline. Don’t know if they fly out of Chicago.  Cathay Pacific is a very established airline.

Cathay Pacific is one of the highest rated airlines.  Did some research (check their stock - down 85%) on Norwegian last week and I wouldn't risk a ticket with them now.  Very dicey.

Edited by goofysmom99
  • Like 1

We have flown to China and elsewhere in southeast Asia several times and Cathay Pacific has become our airline of choice.  Most recently we flew prem econ in Feb/Mar and the flight was probably one of the best flights we have ever had and it was 15+ hours.  Service quality was outstanding and as previiusly noted food quality is very good. We have flown British Airways, and Lufthansa both in business class and Cathay in p/e was a very close rival.  Our experience to China has included United and Air Canada, both of which were not comparable to Cathay.  We are expecting to fly into mainland China later this year although Air Canada has a quicker route the price differential is not sufficient to change us from Cathay.

Without checking, the Shanghai/Hong Kong segment will probably be Cathay Dragon or Air China.

Edited by ScubesDad
additional info.

6 hours ago, txflood33 said:

Sounds like you might be cruising on Millie. I'm a big Delta fan. I also like British Airways and Virgin. I hope your spending time in Hong Kong and Shanghai.

Cathay Pacific, Singapore and Virgin would be our airlines of choice. 

We have used others including Air France and BA. Air France has been hit with strikes in recent years but has had the best inflight food and service we have ever experienced.

BA has changed flights on us before now and lost our bags twice! The business layout is quite odd too but the food and service is good. 

Re American Airlines, we have found both service and choice have improved in recent years but costs have risen. Delta reliably good.

We find when booking business long haul that you do need to check seat guru to confirm type of aircraft and type of seat. You can find a shorter part of your journey can be in an upright seat or the main part can be in the old fashioned ‘recliner’...Air France and KLM definitely still have a few old 232 seating set ups in business. Unfair to compare these price wise to ‘real’ business 111/121 seating.

You can‘t go wrong with Cathay Pacific.

The only airline that I‘d prefer over them would be Singapore Airlines.

Enjoy your flight and if you need tips for Hong Kong, just ask.

Our favorite place for decades is the Lobby Lounge in the Intercontinental Harbor View Hotel.

lobby-lounge.jpg

Edited by Yoshikitty
  • Like 2

After our experience with American Airlines last year we would never fly with them again. We were a party of five and booking seats together in advance was very expense so we waited until 24 hours in advance only to see nothing was available. Long story short it was a battle at both Glasgow going out and particularly in Philly coming back where even with 45 minutes to go they could not sit the child with his two parents. This was at the actually boarding gate trying to work with two AA female staff who were very rude, it was a complete shambles. The planes were old with no seat back entertainment, just the old drop down screens showing a film, food was awful. This was a code share with BA as that’s who we normally book with. I made sure this year that we were definitely flying with BA.

Just wanted to add, that we avoid United Airlines by all means.

Last year, they "managed" trice to assign out seats in different areas on 3 international flights (2 people) and we where booked on the same ticket.

This never happened with any other airline.

Edited by Yoshikitty

11 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

Cathay Pacific is one of the highest rated airlines.  Did some research (check their stock - down 85%) on Norwegian last week and I wouldn't risk a ticket with them now.  Very dicey.

Cathay Pacific's stock price fall is mainly due to their stupid investment decision. They bet on the hike in fuel price and lose badly a few years ago. For that very significant loss, they have been cutting corners in service, however, it is still above any US based airlines.

12 minutes ago, Tourist1292 said:

Cathay Pacific's stock price fall is mainly due to their stupid investment decision. They bet on the hike in fuel price and lose badly a few years ago. For that very significant loss, they have been cutting corners in service, however, it is still above any US based airlines.

He’s talking about Norwegian.

I will not fly BA following their cancelling my flight from JFK to Manchester at late notice and placing the travellers on a flight to London HT. I repeatedly requested information as to why my original flight didn't travel but no answer - could they have been on a money saving exercise? Add Iberia (partner to BA) to that after they bumped 6 pupils off a school trip flight from Barcelona despite flights booked 6 months in advance. It took a great deal of argument at Barcelona and in the end they took me and 5 pupils off - they flew our baggage to Manchester! They dumped us on Air France who were fantastic. Great food on the flight and when we landed in Paris and were in effect stranded at 11 30 at night Air France placed us in a 4  star hotel and fed us.They also gave us a bag of essentials each, T shirt, toothpaste etc - alas no underwear so that was washed and dried by a hairdryer ! They worked really hard next day to try to get us on a morning flight to Manchester despite not enough seats. I was eventually transported back via Heathrow (not recommended) the parents did give permission for the pupils to travel direct to Manchester without a teacher. 

So Air France gets a big thumbs up. WE also had good flight with Air Canada which as it had been delayed coming in from the Far East landed in Toronto too late for out short flight to Rochester. Again they sorted us a hotel and meals and an early morning onward flight. No complaints re them at all. 

My last flight to Europe (NYC to Berlin) was on TAP Air, a Portuguese airline. I connected in Lisbon on both legs. It is a budget line, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that on the NYC-Lisbon leg, the service was excellent, the plane seats comfortable enough, and the food and wine reasonably good. The shorter flight from Lisbon to Berlin was on a smaller plane with smaller, less comfortable seats, but it was tolerable. I would fly with them again if the price were right.

Just checked - EVA Air does fly out of Chicago - might be worth to check. We flew Vancouver to Taipei and were upgraded from business to First - fabulous experience.

I think if you fly long enough with any airline, you’ll find something to complain about - multiple complaints from us about Air Canada and Westjet ( to a lesser extent ) as they are our domestic carriers. Have never had a bad experience on another airline except BA tagged luggage wrongly once. 

Alsmez, we have also flown TAP Lisbon to Heathrow and it was fine. Also, Iberia and LOT - both fine.

As another poster said, I would only stay away from a budget airline that’s likely to go bust. And any airline with a poor safety record but they are usually internal flights within certain countries.

You will get a lot of subjective opinions to such an open question.  There will be different answers also if you focus on class of service.  Are you flying economy? premium economy? business class?  That is a place to start anyway.  There are big differences in service and seating across airlines in each class.

16 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

Cathy Pacific is an excellent airline.  At least it was several years ago when I flew on that airline.

Singapore Airlines may be the best in the World.

Living in Georgia, we generally fly Delta and have excellent results from them as well as Air France (same ff network). In fact, we did Delta/Air France when going to Singapore and back from Dubai in 2015.  It was great.

To your original question, any airlines to avoid.

I would advise you to check reviews of any airline that you choose.  American is my least favorite US line.  However, in rare moments, when their rates are the very best, we still would fly with them.

Iberia has a poor reputation, but I cannot say that is currently justified.  Lufthansa is excellent.

We looked at flying Turkish Airlines because of a great fare, but Delta's price went down and we didn't.  However, we have been told that Turkish Airlines was pretty good.

I have met people on cruises that flew on Norwegian Airlines and had a bad experience.  Still, not sure that is evidence of an across the board rating.

We used Norwegian Airlines three years ago to fly to Copenhagen and had an excellent experience in economy.