Gross question - but here it goes -

Just got off Brillance Of The Seas.  Beautiful ship.  Yes it's small but it makes getting around very easy.  We had a great time.  But a question -  Quite a few of the public restrooms smelled disgusting.  I noticed it in the women's restrooms.  Forgot to ask my Husband if he noticed it in the Men's restrooms.  What is it with people not going to their own cabin to USE the restroom, if you get what I mean.  The ship is small. It takes less then a few minutes to get to your cabin.  The Solarium women's bathroom constantly smelled, the women's restroom in the Schooner Bar and the restroom outside the MDR also smelled horrible. Why doesn't RCL put air freshner's in the public restrooms?  Also why can't people use their own cabin for that?  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FLgal0214 said:

Just got off Brillance Of The Seas.  Beautiful ship.  Yes it's small but it makes getting around very easy.  We had a great time.  But a question -  Quite a few of the public restrooms smelled disgusting.  I noticed it in the women's restrooms.  Forgot to ask my Husband if he noticed it in the Men's restrooms.  What is it with people not going to their own cabin to USE the restroom, if you get what I mean.  The ship is small. It takes less then a few minutes to get to your cabin.  The Solarium women's bathroom constantly smelled, the women's restroom in the Schooner Bar and the restroom outside the MDR also smelled horrible. Why doesn't RCL put air freshner's in the public restrooms?  Also why can't people use their own cabin for that?  

Why did you use the  public restroom and not go back to your cabin??

• Like 25
  • Haha 9

2 minutes ago, FLgal0214 said:

I prefer to use our cabin toilet but often RC have someone cleaning the outside toilets which I have seen when I have been to far away and inconvenient to trail back to our cabin and had to use them.

The nature of restrooms mean there is always going to be a smell but I agree they should have some sort of air freshener in them.

4 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

I use the public toilets for #1 only.  I've also wondered why people don't go back to their cabin if they need to #2.  Maybe they just can't hold it for a couple minutes.  

The bigger concern I have is when people come out of the cubicles after a #2 then don't wash their hands.

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

Why did you use the  public restroom and not go back to your cabin??

I used the public bathrooms for #1, never for #2.  Just wondered why so many people didn't go back to their own cabins for #2.  OR bring some poopouri along if they were going to use the public bathrooms for #2.  Many times I did walk to back to our own cabin to use the bathroom, even for #1 because the smell was so bad in the pool & Windjammer bathrooms. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

I use the public toilets for #1 only.  I've also wondered why people don't go back to their cabin if they need to #2.  Maybe they just can't hold it for a couple minutes.  

The public rest rooms are there TO BE USED.  The facility should be built with the necessary air filtration system to pull out nasty odors or have automatic sprayers installed to keep the air smelling nice.  Often the foul smell is NOT from people and that odor needs to be reported to housekeeping.....it could be a sign that something is not functioning properly in the plumbing system.  

• Like 9

I don't do number 2 in the public bathrooms, but I think some know their poop does stink and don't want that smell in their cabins.  Sometimes, though, from the smells in the ladies room, I don't blame them!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

I don't do number 2 in the public bathrooms, but I think some know their poop does stink and don't want that smell in their cabins.  Sometimes, though, from the smells in the ladies room, I don't blame them!

The same applies to the men's too.

7 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

The public rest rooms are there TO BE USED.  The facility should be built with the necessary air filtration system to pull out nasty odors or have automatic sprayers installed to keep the air smelling nice.  Often the foul smell is NOT from people and that odor needs to be reported to housekeeping.....it could be a sign that something is not functioning properly in the plumbing system.  

No need to shout at me.  I was simply stating my opinion.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, FLgal0214 said:

It takes less then a few minutes to get to your cabin

A) Sometimes you don't have much time. Or you don't know how much time you can spare.

B) Don't assume that just because you can move around the ship quickly everyone else can.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

No need to shout at me.  I was simply stating my opinion.

If I were shouting ..... it would have all been in caps.  Just pointing out the obvious.  Sometimes smaller ships have a smaller 'sanitation plant' on board and if a problem develops with it, its first appearance could come from the odor emanating from a public rest room.   I have been on ships when the problem was detected from a cruiser cabin, as well.....but maintenance needs to know.

• Like 1

Since you asked, here is my feedback:

As a medical professional, allow me to inform you that some people simply cannot hold it as long as you can for medical reasons.  

Wonderful that you and I can walk to our cabin in a couple minutes, but remember some people cannot return to their cabins as quickly as you can again for medical reasons.

Sometimes the cabin restroom is not available.  I have walked back to my cabin just to use my own restroom only to find my cabin steward servicing the cabin at that exact time (odd timing when the make up cabin sign may have been out for hours!).  Or one’s cabinmates might be in the cabin restroom....that might happen a lot in a quad cabin!

Speaking of cabinmates, some might rather smell up a public restroom than their own.  A budding romance might not be advanced by odor.  Or quad cabinmates might agree not to smell up their bathroom when others need to shower in there.  

If you do not wish to encounter the smell, then you need to resolve to use your own restroom rather than concern yourself about the habits of others.  Or if potpourri will ease your discomfort, carry your own! 

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Starry Eyes said:

Speaking of cabinmates, some might rather smell up a public restroom than their own.  A budding romance might not be advanced by odor.  Or quad cabinmates might agree not to smell up their bathroom when others need to shower in there.  

If you do not wish to encounter the smell, then you need to resolve to use your own restroom rather than concern yourself about the habits of others.  Or if potpourri will ease your discomfort, carry your own! 

This!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, biomedbob said:

What's #1 or #2?

#1-pee

#2-poop

I cant believe you've never heard it referred to that way.🤣

As for using the bathroom, they are meant to be used. Why wouldn't I use them? Why also would 1 stink up my own tiny cabin when I can stink up the ladies room by the windjammer? 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, voyager70 said:

I find the cabin bathroom ventilation to be very good.  A courtesy flush right after the initial dump and the odor disappates quickly.

A quick spray of aftershave helps too.