Air conditioning when balcony doors are left open

Junebug62

I have been hearing different things from different people. I am a first-time cruiser and now I am hearing that if your room is next to a balcony room, occasionally if they leave their balcony doors open all night the AC will not work near adjoining rooms. Is this true? Or is just the coolness affected by the balcony door being open and the humidity coming into that cabin?

No, there are two separate systems for ships.

One is the typical system that recirculates the air and heats or cools it.  This like most hotel rooms.  And other rooms are not affected by the balcony door being open.

The other system is a centralized system and feeds blocks of rooms.  This system is designed to pressure each cabin for smoke control in case of a fire.  If someone leaves their balcony door open, this system will deliver most of the air to that cabin to pressurize it, leaving the other cabins in the block without this source.

Those who do not agree with this, are not familiar with SHIP systems.  There is a poster here on CC, chengkp75 who is a ship Chief Engineer and has explained it many times.  Some people who have never worked on a ship argue with him. 😄

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SRF said:

The other system is a centralized system and feeds blocks of rooms.  This system is designed to pressure each cabin for smoke control in case of a fire.  If someone leaves their balcony door open, this system will deliver most of the air to that cabin to pressurize it, leaving the other cabins in the block without this source.

😄

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

My work here is done, well done my Paduan learner.

I am highly impressed. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SRF said:

No, there are two separate systems for ships.

One is the typical system that recirculates the air and heats or cools it.  This like most hotel rooms.  And other rooms are not affected by the balcony door being open.

Those who do not agree with this, are not familiar with SHIP systems.  There is a poster here on CC, chengkp75 who is a ship Chief Engineer and has explained it many times.  Some people who have never worked on a ship argue with him. 😄

Good work explaining that but also don't some lines have systems where if you leave the balcony doors open it shuts down the system in the room.   We have a time share with Wyndham that we use about 10 weeks a year and go all over the country.  Every place we go if the doors are open, the air shuts down.  I thought I remember it doing the same thing on ships Ive been on. 

Also, how does the system work on the Celebrity Edge with the new Infinite Veranda's.   

Edited by dkjretired

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

Good work explaining that but also don't some lines have systems where if you leave the balcony doors open it shuts down the system in the room.   We have a time share with Wyndham that we use about 10 weeks a year and go all over the country.  Every place we go if the doors are open, the air shuts down.  I thought I remember it doing the same thing on ships Ive been on. 

Also, how does the system work on the Celebrity Edge with the new Infinite Veranda's.   

Yes, many ships have it so that the open balcony door shuts down the individual cabin recirculation AC, but the common fresh air supply is not shut down, and this is what affects the other cabins.  The Edge is exactly the same, if the "window" (balcony) is open, the cabin recirculation AC is turned off.

• Like 2

Bottom Line:  Always best to keep your balcony door closed.  :classic_wink:

Also .... Have you ever noticed the sticky salt spray on your balcony furniture?  Do you really want that getting inside of your cabin?  :classic_unsure:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, many ships have it so that the open balcony door shuts down the individual cabin recirculation AC, but the common fresh air supply is not shut down, and this is what affects the other cabins.  The Edge is exactly the same, if the "window" (balcony) is open, the cabin recirculation AC is turned off.

Thanks, as usual good info

2 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Open the window and the A/C shuts off. Room gets hot fast.

Good point. By the way. If the weather is bad. They can stop the windows from opening. No matter. It is nothing like a balcony. You can go on the balcony no matter what. Plus the A/C stays on. Just close the darn door. It does not come close to the open feeling like a balcony. Makes the room bigger, if you want or need that.