Uniworld, Dinner time/dress code?

Lois R

Hi friends, I booked my first Uniworld cruise:classic_biggrin:....going in October, GEMS of Northern Italy. Very excited:classic_biggrin:  My first river cruise was on AMA back in 2016 and loved it!

Hoping this one will be just as good (if not better) since I LOVE Italy:classic_smile:

Question for you Uniworld veterans, is dinner casual? When I sailed with AMA I know many folks wore their daytime attire for dinner.  I am one who probably will change clothes but

just want to make sure it is still casual..jeans for daytime tours and are they allowed for dinner? Just want to make sure as I didn't see anything on their website. The ships all look lovely for sure but want to make sure about the attire as well.

And as a solo cruiser, is it pretty easy to meet others to share a dinner table with? I definitely enjoy the company of others. I don't mind dining solo but not for all 8 nights.

As a long-time Uniworld traveler, I can verify that dinner is casual. I usually wear Dockers type pants for excursions, sometimes changing my blouse for dinner. There are usually two dressier dinners; some ladies, including me, wear dressier pants and blouse or dress for those nights. I have seen ladies (and men) in nice jeans at dinner. Depending on the excursion schedule, dinner is preceded by a port talk for the next day and short presentation about that dinners'wines, in the lounge where many guests enjoy pre-dinner drinks. You can also watch the presentations  on the tv in your room. The dining room is usually open from 7 to 9, with guests typically arriving between 7 and 8 and finding seats at tables for 2, 4 or 6, for the most part. We've met many interesting solo travelers, who seem to feel welcome and have a good time. I'm sure you will, too. How can you not, in Italy!

4 minutes ago, jklc123 said:

As a long-time Uniworld traveler, I can verify that dinner is casual. I usually wear Dockers type pants for excursions, sometimes changing my blouse for dinner. There are usually two dressier dinners; some ladies, including me, wear dressier pants and blouse or dress for those nights. I have seen ladies (and men) in nice jeans at dinner. Depending on the excursion schedule, dinner is preceded by a port talk for the next day and short presentation about that dinners'wines, in the lounge where many guests enjoy pre-dinner drinks. You can also watch the presentations  on the tv in your room. The dining room is usually open from 7 to 9, with guests typically arriving between 7 and 8 and finding seats at tables for 2, 4 or 6, for the most part. We've met many interesting solo travelers, who seem to feel welcome and have a good time. I'm sure you will, too. How can you not, in Italy!

Thank for you the reply and I appreciate the insight:classic_smile:. Good to know the timing and sounds like it will work out just fine:classic_smile:

2 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

It definitely will, Lois! I would agree with everything that jklc123 has said above. You are going to have a great time! Wish we were joining you.

Hi JP:classic_biggrin: I know you love Uniworld so that gives me additional comfort too!:classic_biggrin:

Hi Lois, 

You already have your answer on the attire question but I too will add my two cents. You're going to enjoy Uniworld. My wife and I sailed with them in 2017 and we loved it so much we booked a very similar itinerary for this coming July. The ship, the staff, the food and our fellow passengers were all marvelous. Have a GREAT time in Italy!

Paul

My wife and I have done five Uniworld cruises, the latest being Venice. Many people change for dinner but  most don't dress very fancy. Wearing your daytime outfit is acceptable. You'll have no trouble socializing and you'll love the cruise. Here's the link for my review:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=655430&et_cid=3214772&et_rid=10404728&et_referrer=Contest_NCL_2013

16 minutes ago, djett said:

My wife and I have done five Uniworld cruises, the latest being Venice. Many people change for dinner but  most don't dress very fancy. Wearing your daytime outfit is acceptable. You'll have no trouble socializing and you'll love the cruise. Here's the link for my review:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=655430&et_cid=3214772&et_rid=10404728&et_referrer=Contest_NCL_2013

Thanks for that link!  Glad you enjoyed it and I am very much looking forward to this cruise:classic_biggrin:

We travel in July so we always change for dinner-too hot & sticky after being on the go all day:)  My hub goes w/ dockers, dress shirt w/ sleeves rolled up & boat shoes & I go w/ black or white crops, a dressier top, slingbacks & jewelry.  Most people change for dinner-maybe a step or two up from daytime wear.  Everyone usually steps it up a bit more for the Welcome/Farewell Dinner.  I usually wear a sundress of some sort for those.  Enjoy yourself & have a great time!!

3 hours ago, need2travel1 said:

We travel in July so we always change for dinner-too hot & sticky after being on the go all day:)  My hub goes w/ dockers, dress shirt w/ sleeves rolled up & boat shoes & I go w/ black or white crops, a dressier top, slingbacks & jewelry.  Most people change for dinner-maybe a step or two up from daytime wear.  Everyone usually steps it up a bit more for the Welcome/Farewell Dinner.  I usually wear a sundress of some sort for those.  Enjoy yourself & have a great time!!

Thanks so much. I will change too...I have several pairs of black pants(various styles) and they work well for evening

attire:classic_smile:....so those and some tops for dinner will work well for me.

• Like 2

I have been on two Uniworld cruises. I don’t remember anyone wearing jeans. On a cruise in the south of France when it was between 90-100 degrees each day we were told on the first night that one of the dress rules were no shorts or sandals for men. On the dressy dinners  most of the men wore sports coats. As a women it is easier to have a pair of slacks, a nice top, and low heels. You could take one dinner outfit and have it laundered halfway through the cruise. They are very quick with the laundry turnaround.

• Like 1

Lois—-First let me say how jealous I am.  We took the Italy Uniworld cruise the first year it was offered and did the after cruise visiting Florence and Rome which was offered at that time.  It was a fabulous trip.

We’ve taken 4 Uniworld cruises and have met a few solo travelers who never seem at odds as, generally speaking, I find the Uniworld crowd to be a friendly group of travelers.

On only one cruise did we have anyone consistently dress up and it was a couple who truly were over the top—think furs, silks, jewelry, tux etc.  The rest of us embraced the “country club casual” look.  

i don’t know if Uniworld gives suggested reading for this cruise but when we went to Italy Donna Leon’s books were recommended reading.  She writes detective/mystery books set in Venice.  She’s a prolific author and a fun read especially as she writes about daily life and the perspective of the Venetians.

i hope you enjoy this trip as much as I did.  I’ve been looking at it again as they’ve changed some of the itinerary since that first year.

I"m jealous as well, but at least I just spent a few days in Venice last month:-)

I think dress depends on the itinerary and season. Doing an all day excursion to the landing beaches in March.....people definitely wore jeans to dinner. And no one seemed to mind. I don't recall any over-the-top dressers like Kathy described above.

Enjoy! It's a great itinerary.

Robin

14 minutes ago, Kathie859 said:

I don’t know if Uniworld gives suggested reading for this cruise but when we went to Italy Donna Leon’s books were recommended reading.  She writes detective/mystery books set in Venice.  She’s a prolific author and a fun read especially as she writes about daily life and the perspective of the Venetians.

I enjoy the Donna Leon mysteries too – but they definitely do not reflect the perspective of our Venetian guide who bit my head off for reading them!

• Haha 1

Somewhat related....I enjoyed "City of Falling Angels" by the same author who wrote "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil", John Berendt. The book tells the story of some interesting inhabitants of Venice, Italy, whom the author met while living there in the months following a fire which destroyed the historic La Fenice opera house in 1996.  It provides some interesting insights into the Venetian psyche.

Lois, I've done 3 solos on Uniworld.  I'll be interested in hearing about your experience.  

Roz

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Roz said:

Somewhat related....I enjoyed "City of Falling Angels" by the same author who wrote "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil", John Berendt. The book tells the story of some interesting inhabitants of Venice, Italy, whom the author met while living there in the months following a fire which destroyed the historic La Fenice opera house in 1996.  It provides some interesting insights into the Venetian psyche.

Lois, I've done 3 solos on Uniworld.  I'll be interested in hearing about your experience.  

Roz

Hi Roz, I know you really enjoy the line:classic_biggrin:...….I am sure I will too:classic_smile:

• 4 weeks later...

Instead of starting another thread I thought I would bring this back up....what can anyone tell me about the coffee on board?

Seems ocean cruises have 1 thing in common (in most of my of my experiences) and that is the lack of a good, smooth cup of coffee). I don't like an "extra strong" cup or one that tastes like the beans are burned.  What is the coffee like on Uniworld?

Lois, all the coffee served in the restaurant is French press.  For lack of a better description, it's "European" tasting.  There's also an excellent coffee/expresso/cappuccino maker in the common area that's available 24/7, along with tea.  Just try not to take a biscotti or cookie when you get a cup. 😄

Roz

21 minutes ago, Roz said:

Lois, all the coffee served in the restaurant is French press.  For lack of a better description, it's "European" tasting.  There's also an excellent coffee/expresso/cappuccino maker in the common area that's available 24/7, along with tea.  Just try not to take a biscotti or cookie when you get a cup. 😄

Roz

Hi Roz...….ohhhh…..I bet those cookies/pastries are really good:classic_smile: and I will just have to try a cup of the coffee and see what kind of reaction my taste buds get....if it is not to my liking, a cappuccino will always work:classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi Roz...….ohhhh…..I bet those cookies/pastries are really good:classic_smile: and I will just have to try a cup of the coffee and see what kind of reaction my taste buds get....if it is not to my liking, a cappuccino will always work:classic_biggrin:

There were these mini pistachio/almond biscotti that were addictive. 😍  Enjoy!

Roz

57 minutes ago, Roz said:

There were these mini pistachio/almond biscotti that were addictive. 😍  Enjoy!

Roz

Even if you don't like them [hah!], you can justify taking one to save the world instead of using a plastic stirrer.  :classic_wink:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Shorts?

Shorts what? Are you asking if they appropriate for dinner? In my opinion, nope.

• Like 1

Lois, in regard to your initial question, on the cruises that I just took on the Joie de Vivre and the Catherine, dinner was pretty much 7-9 PM.  On these cruises, the smart casual dress code was pretty much universally adhered to, very few exceptions.  No one in shorts.  On the Captain's welcome and farewell receptions, many tended to dress up a bit more.

The only exception was the day that we returned late from Normandy Beach.

We dined on several occasions at tables with singles, and they seemed to be having a great time, the passengers on our cruises were very friendly.

Bob 

• Like 1