Phone SIM card use on Serenade of the Seas

To the OP, it seems to me that there may be some confusion here.  A sim card relates only to the interaction of your phone with the cellular system regardless of where you are.  Wifi access is a distinct and different thing and does not communicate over the cellular system.  If you have "free/paid" internet access (e.g. a starbucks or some other establishment) with wifi calling/text access activated on your phone you may send/receive calls/text via wifi if your phone is set properly (airplane mode, wifi turned on). If you are using only wifi access your sim card is irrelevant. Disclaimer: this is based on my experience.

Edited by ropomo

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2019 at 4:44 PM, hallasm said:

If Norway fjords you might also have coverage when sailing the fjords.

I am considering buying a SIM card for use on a cruise to Norway leaving from Amsterdam.  There are several types on Amazon that I could get prior to departure.  I have done this before for the Middle East and do have an old phone that I use specifically for this purpose, but I have never used a cell in Europe.

When you say "you might also have coverage when sailing the fjords" do you literally mean on board, not far from shore we might have reception apart from the ship's phone/internet?  (This was true last year in Alaska in some places).

I tried the Search feature for SIM cards and it didn't come up with much.  I gather from my preliminary research that Norway has changed a bit in the last few years and that it's easier to get SIM cards than it once was? 

Does anyone recommend a specific type?  I see some don't allow calls to the US, but am guessing if I had a magic jack app or similar, I could get around that when in port if needed.

THANKS!

Depending on itinerary the ship will be close to shores most of the time, especially when sailing in the Fjords. So you will be able to connect to land based phone transmission masts. 

I have no experience with SIM for calls to US - only roaming within Europe.

Thank you, hallasm, for your response.  I have found some cards by Three in the UK by different online vendors who ship in advance and am trying to decide the best plan.  Do you know if they have a good reputation in Europe?

Edited by syesmar

• 1 month later...

I wanted to give an update: I purchased a Three UK SIM card on Amazon that also used a calling service to allow calls to the US (by dialing an access #).  I got 12 GB data, 3K texts and 3K minutes of calls for 30 days (although my online account showed Unlimited Calls and Texts).  The company, TSIM, could have given better instructions, but it worked fine once I figured it out.  The package did not have my minutes, texts or data info listed so it was confusing when it arrived.  I actually chatted online with Three UK directly when I was unsure if it was as advertised and they gave me an additional 12 GB of data, even though I didn’t purchase it from them.  (Next time, I will buy directly from Three UK and use the Magic App for calls to the US).  Once I activated the SIM, the confirmation of activation came the next day, I believe (so don’t expect to be able to use it immediately).  I could use the internet in the US even before I left.

I was able to create an online login on Three UK’s website to check plan details and usage.

It worked great during the trip.  It was nice to look things up at the last minute, and have maps/location services when we rented a car or were out walking and wanted to know the quickest way back to the ship.

I didn’t even use 2GB of data during the trip.  For some reason, I still have data through the end of the month, it says!

As mentioned in earlier posts, there were times through the fjords when we would get a signal, even when on the ship.  I never had a signal in my room (except once) but I did occasionally on the outer decks, Lido Market and Pool areas.

One thing I was very grateful for: I have no idea how, but when we woke up the morning of disembarkation, there was a text that our flight had been canceled.  It would have been nice just to rebook by phone and not rush my last morning aboard, but the airline was so busy they weren’t accepting calls:). Still, I was grateful I found out prior to getting to the airport (that has happened before:>).

Will never travel without a phone / international SIM again!

Edited by syesmar
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, syesmar said:

I wanted to give an update: I purchased a Three UK SIM card on Amazon

4 hours ago, syesmar said:

Will never travel without a phone / international SIM again!

Thank you very much for your update - very useful information.

Just one remark. Once UK does leave EU you need to check if a SIM card bought in UK does work in EU or an EU SIM will work in UK - probably it will work but don’t know for sure yet.