Driving from Maine to Cape Liberty

Hi! Looking for some better brains than I...spent some time with the search feature but it's not the best.   We've booked a 2020 cruise out of Cape Liberty (just 2 adults) and are planning to drive most of the way down then take a break.  Last time we overnighted in CT but are thinking of staying in NJ this time.  I did look at hotels around the airport, like the Doubletree but was wondering if staying in someplace like Teaneck might be better. (We haven't settled on our route down yet)  Looking to be within about an hour of the port (we're parking there) and have no interest in going to NYC - just looking for a safe, comfortable driving break.  (Thanks!)

14 minutes ago, cooncat_mom said:

Hi! Looking for some better brains than I...spent some time with the search feature but it's not the best.   We've booked a 2020 cruise out of Cape Liberty (just 2 adults) and are planning to drive most of the way down then take a break.  Last time we overnighted in CT but are thinking of staying in NJ this time.  I did look at hotels around the airport, like the Doubletree but was wondering if staying in someplace like Teaneck might be better. (We haven't settled on our route down yet)  Looking to be within about an hour of the port (we're parking there) and have no interest in going to NYC - just looking for a safe, comfortable driving break.  (Thanks!)

Exact date you require a room?  Hotel budget?  Where are you coming from in Maine?

Hi -  I’m pre-planning for May 10th sailing in 2020. There’s just 2 adults, and from I95 out of southern Maine our route will be determined by the hotel we pick.  We like crossing at Tappan Zee but can do George Washington Bridge. Our budget is $150 to $250 and restaurants aren’t important since we can eat on the road.  Since it’s a Sunday embarkation I figured an hour to an hour and a half away isn’t a problem. Thanks - I do well when we sail out of Boston or NY but for years we only drove through NJ at night on our way to FL so I’m not familiar with it (just the rest stops, 😉).

How about someplace like Parsippany NJ.. It's a safe clean area off of Route 80. It is just thirty minutes to the port. There are two malls, movie theaters, and places to eat within minutes. No problem with your budget, probably can get a place in the $100 - $150 range very easily. Easy to get to from either bridge.

Parsippany is a great option, we've stayed there in the past.

Make sure you book something cancelable to start, as prices may well drop between when you first book and when you travel

Thanks!  And that is great advice - I definitely will make sure I can cancel.

I’m looking at there, but am also wondering about the Secaucus/Meadowlands area. We stayed there a looooooong time ago for a concert and wonder if after 18 years (wow) that would be a good choice?

5 hours ago, cooncat_mom said:

Thanks!  And that is great advice - I definitely will make sure I can cancel.

I’m looking at there, but am also wondering about the Secaucus/Meadowlands area. We stayed there a looooooong time ago for a concert and wonder if after 18 years (wow) that would be a good choice?

For Secaucus look at Harmon Meadows - http://www.harmonmeadow.com/Pages/index.html

IMO a more convenient location than Parsippany coming from Maine.  Also the Hyatt Regency in Greenwich, CT tends to have good weekend rates.  

Thanks 138east. That’s an excellent link (wow did that area get developed in the last 18 years! 😆)  I think that may be the winner - easy off, easy on with food and WalMart if we’ve forgotten something. (We stayed in at area in 2001 for a Southern Gospel concert just a few days before 9/11 at, I think - a Hampton Inn.  The bus to NY Penn Station, which took less than 1/2 hour, stopped right across from the hotel so it was perfect for a NYC visit too.)

I appreciate all the help - thank you guys!  Have sailed out of Cape Liberty before and did Amtrak and cab, but I think driving to port is actually the easiest. This will make the start to a great vacation.

Edited by cooncat_mom
Fixing my spelling. I can’t type.

59 minutes ago, 138east said:

For Secaucus look at Harmon Meadows - http://www.harmonmeadow.com/Pages/index.html

IMO a more convenient location than Parsippany coming from Maine.  Also the Hyatt Regency in Greenwich, CT tends to have good weekend rates.  

We always stay at the Hyatt Regency on our way to NYC or NJ. Very clean, ample parking, nice area to walk the property. In fact, we are heading there this weekend and got a corner delux [large room with wet bar, king bed, sitting area] for $163. for Saturday night. That's a veteran's rate, but there are all sorts of promo rates from senior/AAA/ AARP and pre-payment options, too. Other rates this weekend were less than our choice of room. For the best access to perks, sign onto Hyatt's membership and use that number to start building points, no need to get their credit card. The gazebo in the atrium is being upgraded, but the restaurant is open for all meals and drinks - love the inside gardens, so relaxing. Complimentary coffee by the elevators every morning, we normally skip buying into the breakfast plan, though at check in, we have often been comped. If we were gong to spend a few days in the area, then I  would have booked a club class room, more perks. We are picking up friends at Westchester, who are flying in from FL, and we are going to dinner at Pomodoro, nice Italian restaurant nearby. 

Darcy

Keep in mind the Secacaus/ Meadowlands area it a little sketchy these days. Plus, if you're not sure where you are going, it is very difficult to navigate and you could lose your way. The others would suit your needs better. As for the Wa l Mart, they are all over the state. There is even one across the street from the cruise port.

I love the name “Mahwah” - it’s just one of those words that’s fun to say! Will take a look at their hotels too.  I was wondering how Secaucus/Meadowlands had fared over the years. Thank you, mets123.

Edited by cooncat_mom

• 2 weeks later...

We will be sailing on Anthem August 15th and driving down from New Hampshire. We are looking for a hotel 1 night pre-cruise. It will be my husband and I along with our two boys ages 10 & 15. I'd like to be in the $300 or less price range with easy access to the city. I'd rather not spend that much if we're not near the city.  We'd mainly just like to see the 911 memorial and Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty. I looking at the Hyatt Regency on the Hudson in Jersey City about a month ago and it was in our price range but of course is now sold out. We will be driving ourselves to the port.

2 hours ago, gkdk24 said:

We will be sailing on Anthem August 15th and driving down from New Hampshire. We are looking for a hotel 1 night pre-cruise. It will be my husband and I along with our two boys ages 10 & 15. I'd like to be in the $300 or less price range with easy access to the city. I'd rather not spend that much if we're not near the city.  We'd mainly just like to see the 911 memorial and Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty. I looking at the Hyatt Regency on the Hudson in Jersey City about a month ago and it was in our price range but of course is now sold out. We will be driving ourselves to the port.

What time are you planning to arrive in the NY area on August 14?  Do you actually want to take the ferry out to the SOL & Ellis Island?  Can you do 2 Double beds?  What is “easy access to the city”? For example the Hilton Penn Station and the Element in Harrison have easy access to PATH to get to the World Trade Center in 20-25 minutes.

Aug 14 is a Wednesday, so hotels are more expensive due to business travel.  $300 is a tight budget to be in Jersey City.  Hotels.com has the Courtyard Newport for $260 + tax ($303) Nonrefundable available RIGHT NOW.

Edited by 138east