Vancouver embarkation - Not impressed Viking.

Pushka

Someone on our roll call obviously received the email and then called Viking to see what time that we were actually departing Vancouver. They were told ‘all good’ with the existing departure of 1700 hours. So seems like it’s leaving without us. That makes tendering a snap hey? 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Captain_Morgan said:

Although all of the 'glass half full' and positive thinking is good, its not going to change the facts which i think are very important in this case:

• Viking knew of the berth space issues long in advance, as did the intrepid reporting here on CC but decided to do nothing by way of informing guests until 2 1/2 weeks out.  We can speculate as to their reasons but i'm sure its partly arrogance in thinking their clientele is so dedicated they won't mind, and partly due to their apparent and seemingly regularly displayed ineptitude when it comes to ocean cruising
  • It sounds like its going to be a 4 ship day in Vancouver which means from early morning until early evening its going to be a gong show both in and around the terminal building.  Yes Vancouver is a beautiful city with a lovely waterfront (hopefully it doesn't pour rain) but with that many people milling about with luggage its going to be a zoo and not somewhere I would think many people would want to hang about waiting an extended period of time for their embarkation
  • The likelihood of having anything but either folding metal or plastic lawn chairs is slim at best given this does not appear to be a convention centre, but instead an empty hall.  Furthermore, i don't see them catering the event either which means lukewarm coffee/tea and bottled water
  • This screw up is solely of Viking's making and no matter how much they'd like to divert attention and cast blame on Customs of either Canada or the US, its just a smokescreen to shield themselves from their inadequate planning/execution

I'm sure more will come out as the date gets closer but as i say, Viking have really dropped the ball on this one and no amount of positive thinking is going to change that.  Sure some people will take it all in stride as part of the experience, but others like to be organized and expect the cruise line to do the same....after all, it IS a one-sided game here given that the ship can depart late or when it chooses to, but if a passenger shows up 'late' they're likely watching the ship sail into the distance without them 🙄

One more thing, lets not forget this is called Cruise CRITIC after all and not Cruise Fan Club so i think its fair to say that criticism is definitely needed in situations such as these

Glad to see that in addition to being an expert in Vancouver Port Operations, you are now also an expert on Vancouver's Convention Centres - we actually have 2 adjoining facilities.. FYI - Canada Place is the original Vancouver Convention Centre, which opened in May 86, as part of Vancouver's Expo 86.

Would be very interested to know where you are getting your alleged facts - the Harbourmaster's Office and/or any of our local Marine Organisations/Groups, which are very active with regular social events.

You are correct that this is Cruise Critic; however, I believe most of us expect that information posted is balanced and/or at least based on facts. Based on the information I received from local mariners, very little of what you posted is factual. Over a month ago, I posted the information available at that time and most of it has proven to be factual. At that time, negotiations were still ongoing between all parties involved.

We got the message many months ago that you have issues with Viking, but your allegations and misinformation on this and other topics is really getting tiresome. I also have a couple of cruise lines I prefer not to provide my business; however, I see no need to bombard their Boards with negative speculation. If you don't have anything good to say, it is best to be quiet.

To those disembarking & embarking in Vancouver, I hope it goes smoothly and you have great cruises. If Viking takes the entire Inside Passage, as we did back in the 70's/80's and on the local ferries, the scenery is spectacular.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

<snip> Over a month ago, I posted the information available at that time and most of it has proven to be factual. At that time, negotiations were still ongoing between all parties involved.

<snip>

To those disembarking & embarking in Vancouver, I hope it goes smoothly and you have great cruises. If Viking takes the entire Inside Passage, as we did back in the 70's/80's and on the local ferries, the scenery is spectacular.

Thankyou. I’m into our pre journey sparkling wine now and am mellowing.  I have to agree that you certainly did provide very valuable information a few weeks ago that has been helpful in sorting through the issues and as preparation. I’ve re read those posts and you were spot on. We’ve got plans in place now for the afternoon and with the weekend in last minute packing we are getting very excited about our trip to US and Canada. The first day won’t be great but we are hopeful that Viking will shine through once we are onboard. We leave Monday for our five week trip. Now we just need to try close the suitcase. 

Thanks all for your contributions. It’s been an interesting read. And will post updates which hopefully are full of Alaska and Viking wonder. And of that famed Inside Passage. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

Got to love the inability of some to accept objective opinions, and instead choose to click the 'ignore' button for those voices which contrast theirs.   Must be nice to see the world through rose tinted glasses, but i for one insist on holding companies accountable for their shortfalls, especially when I've paid several thousands of dollars for the supposed privilege of sailing with them. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

Got to love the inability of some to accept objective opinions, and instead choose to click the 'ignore' button for those voices which contrast theirs.   Must be nice to see the world through rose tinted glasses, but i for one insist on holding companies accountable for their shortfalls, especially when I've paid several thousands of dollars for the supposed privilege of sailing with them. 

Again - spot on.  I refuse to compromise with advertised services not delivered.  I paid my money a year in advance.  I expect the carrier to plan even further out and deliver. I will not walk by a shortfall. I will call them on it.  

• Like 2

Had an announcement on room TV confirming the tender disembarkation and that independent travelers will be transferred to Coastal Coal Harbour hotel for luggage pick up  - about a 3 minute drive from Canada Place.

As we rent a car at Canada Place, we would have rather disembarked there to pick up the rental car but a 3 minute taxi drive is easily manageable (hopefully).

6 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Had an announcement on room TV confirming the tender disembarkation and that independent travelers will be transferred to Coastal Coal Harbour hotel for luggage pick up  - about a 3 minute drive from Canada Place.

As we rent a car at Canada Place, we would have rather disembarked there to pick up the rental car but a 3 minute taxi drive is easily manageable (hopefully).

The Coast Coal Harbour Hotel is on West Hastings and is only about 4 blocks to Canada Place, it is an easy walk (if not much luggage) or a short drive.

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The Coast Coal Harbour Hotel is on West Hastings and is only about 4 blocks to Canada Place, it is an easy walk (if not much luggage) or a short drive.

Thanks again Heidi13 for bringing local knowledge to play.     As independent travellers, this hotel will work fine for our disembarkation and transfer to the Wedgewood Hotel for our post cruise stay in Vancouver.     Looks a quite short taxi drive.  

Cheers.    Rod. 

Edited by Aussie Cruise Nuts

35 minutes ago, Aussie Cruise Nuts said:

Thanks again Heidi13 for bringing local knowledge to play.     As independent travellers, this hotel will work fine for our disembarkation and transfer to the Wedgewood Hotel for our post cruise stay in Vancouver.     Looks a quite short taxi drive.  

Cheers.    Rod. 

Rod - don't know much about the Wedgewood other than approx location, which is probably about a mile from the Coast. Being a Sunday, shouldn't have traffic issues.

4 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Good to know - thanks.

Hopefully taxis will be readily available even on a Sunday considering that there may be quite a few passengers needing them.

Even though it is a short distance to Canada Place, walking with luggage is not an option for us (unfortunately).

Edited by Paulchili

We just entered Twilight Zone aka crossing of the International Date Line going East.

We are finishing Tuesday, May 14th (it’s 8:30 PM local time) and by setting our clocks back 23 hours we went back to Monday, May 13th 9:30 PM. All of this means is that tomorrow we will have a second Tuesday, May 14th alll over again 😀

I just got a day younger (if I don’t count the day I lost on the flight to Tokyo 😀).

All of the Aussie people - who seem to be a majority on this cruise - are getting truly 1 day younger (but will lose it on their flight home).

Edited by Paulchili

13 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

We just entered Twilight Zone aka crossing of the International Date Line going East.

We are finishing Tuesday, May 14th (it’s 8:30 PM local time) and by setting our clocks back 23 hours we went back to Monday, May 13th 9:30 PM. All of this means is that tomorrow we will have a second Tuesday, May 14th alll over again 😀

I just got a day younger (if I don’t count the day I lost on the flight to Tokyo 😀).

All of the Aussie people - who seem to be a majority on this cruise - are getting truly 1 day younger (but will lose it on their flight home).

That is a great story - enjoy tomorrow ... er today 😏.

I hope your Australian co-passengers are behaving themselves. Safe travels. LM

Just now, Little Monty said:

I hope your Australian co-passengers are behaving themselves

They are - in their own way 😀

They are a fun loving bunch that don’t hold back their “joie de vivre” and in the process pull you in (which is a good thing).

Learned a new Aussie word in trivia today - chalkie (a teacher)

Edited by Paulchili

On second thought, maybe Groundhog Day may be a better description than Twilight Zone 😀

...or maybe 8 days a week 🙂

Disclaimer - suggested by a lecturer here - not my original idea😥

Edited by Paulchili

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Learned a new Aussie word in trivia today - chalkie (a teacher)

Sorry, I missed this earlier. Yes it’s a good one.

We have many unusual / interesting variations of otherwise ordinary words 😀

Ask them what a chippie is ? (It’s a tradesman 🤔)

7 hours ago, Little Monty said:

Sorry, I missed this earlier. Yes it’s a good one.

We have many unusual / interesting variations of otherwise ordinary words 😀

Ask them what a chippie is ? (It’s a tradesman 🤔)

Not to mention Techie and Sparkie. 

We just had Groundhog Day too as we arrived from Australia into San Francisco for trip up to Vancouver.