Labadee Snorkeling?

DeepC

Have the kids with us on next trip which includes Labadee. They will be zip lining and coaster riding for the bulk of the day so there's no time for formal "excursion". I'm hearing the water can be cloudy in an undisclosed area. Then I read that Adventure Beach some is off limits and other parts soft and lots of current? I'm a boat captain and fisherman by trade and can "read water" better than most. Would appreciate hearing from people where I might start looking so I can save some time???? Thanks in advance.

I personally wouldn't waste time snorkeling on Labadee.  We have been twice, both snorkeled off of Columbus Cove the first time and husband snorkeled off of Adrenaline Beach the second time.  The water is very cloudy from the sandy bottom being stirred up and there is very little to see.  Off of Columbus Cove we saw a couple fish and 1-2 extremely small jelly fish.  Off of Adrenaline Beach my husband said he saw next to nothing aside from trash on the bottom.  He did manage to rescue 2 ship cards and 1 debit card, which he turned into ship security when we boarded.  Unless you are just looking for a way to pass the time there are probably more enjoyable things to do on Labadee.

46 minutes ago, momofmab said:

Agree with HangryGrl - we did a ship's excursion and all we saw was a rusty anchor.  Save snorkeling for another port.

Not looking for excursions... Just a time filler.... Kids will be on zip line and coaster for their main entertainment. GF and I don't drink... She just likes being in the water...

On our May 5th sailing the waters were a little murky  at times with the waves.

We only stayed at the shore line and waded in the water.

When we tried to snorkel off the beach, some areas were clear for looking at sand and minnows, some were very cloudy.

Not the best place to snorkel.

We opted for just being lazy and floating around on the mats.

Enjoy Labadee, 

Safe travels.

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't even bother carrying snorkel gear off the ship.  You're not going to see any coral formations or fish.  

I recommend going to Columbus Cove and hanging out in the water there.  There are a lot of people, but it's a HUGE beach so there's plenty of room in the water.  The sand is nice with just a random rock here and there (whereas Adrenaline Beach pretty much requires water shoes to get in the water), and there are occasional palm trees for shade.  One of the buffets is set up here, as well. 

If you consider this a "day at the beach" rather than a "port stop on a Caribbean island" you'll have a better idea of what to expect.  I adore snorkeling, and I adore Labadee, but the two just don't go together, unfortunately.  I get my snorkeling done on other islands, instead.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2019 at 2:25 AM, brillohead said:

I wouldn't even bother carrying snorkel gear off the ship.  You're not going to see any coral formations or fish.  

I recommend going to Columbus Cove and hanging out in the water there.  There are a lot of people, but it's a HUGE beach so there's plenty of room in the water.  The sand is nice with just a random rock here and there (whereas Adrenaline Beach pretty much requires water shoes to get in the water), and there are occasional palm trees for shade.  One of the buffets is set up here, as well. 

If you consider this a "day at the beach" rather than a "port stop on a Caribbean island" you'll have a better idea of what to expect.  I adore snorkeling, and I adore Labadee, but the two just don't go together, unfortunately.  I get my snorkeling done on other islands, instead.

I disagree.....I've taken my gear every time we've gone to the Barefoot Beach (as an RCCL suite guest) and found decent snorkeling to the left side of the main swimming area - over near the rocks there are plenty of colorful fish and coral, sea fans, etc. Likely doesn't compare to some other islands but I've always really enjoyed it. 

• Like 2

On 5/6/2019 at 6:36 PM, DeepC said:

Have the kids with us on next trip which includes Labadee. They will be zip lining and coaster riding for the bulk of the day so there's no time for formal "excursion". I'm hearing the water can be cloudy in an undisclosed area. Then I read that Adventure Beach some is off limits and other parts soft and lots of current? I'm a boat captain and fisherman by trade and can "read water" better than most. Would appreciate hearing from people where I might start looking so I can save some time???? Thanks in advance.

IF you are doing the Barefoot beach...take your gear along...worth it to do some snorkeling over at the rocks. Have to swim a decent way out and head left, but then you'll encounter what I feel is worth it - especially, as you say, just to kill some time in the water. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2019 at 7:08 PM, gretschwhtfalcon said:

IF you are doing the Barefoot beach...take your gear along...worth it to do some snorkeling over at the rocks. Have to swim a decent way out and head left, but then you'll encounter what I feel is worth it - especially, as you say, just to kill some time in the water. 

Just got back  ( July 2 of this year) and we stayed at barefoot beach.

We took our own all in one snorkel masks we purchased earlier this year for our May 5th cruise.

Barefoot beach was never ever so clear as what we experienced on this sailing.

And, the fishies were back, not big, but many and different types.

We saw eels, by the rocks, and many fish types we could not identify.

Also you were able to get out to the red ball and see the sunken plane they dropped to form a reef, we had not been able to see it in our 5 last visits here.

You can get snorkel gear their.

Like I said we took ours and just got fins, they did not charge us for fins, maybe because we were on barefoot beach.

I do not know what the fee if any would be.

We also got our floaties for free, and I used it as a rest to get out onto deeper water.

Finally, this was one of the few times here I did not need my water shoes, the entrance to the water had only a brief part as broken shells, I easily entered the water.

Enjoy, we do.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2019 at 9:13 AM, Lionesss said:

We took our own all in one snorkel masks we purchased earlier this year for our May 5th cruise.

Also you were able to get out to the red ball and see the sunken plane they dropped to form a reef, we had not been able to see it in our 5 last visits here.

Like I said we took ours and just got fins, they did not charge us for fins, maybe because we were on barefoot beach.

We also got our floaties for free, and I used it as a rest to get out onto deeper water.

Finally, this was one of the few times here I did not need my water shoes, the entrance to the water had only a brief part as broken shells, I easily entered the water.

Enjoy, we do.

Thanks for the info, we will be on Barefoot beach in August and I an avid snorkeler too.

I was going to take the snorkel tour but I like to do my own thing.

I don't want to bring my snorkel gear (on the cruise), but I think I will rent it there.

1 hour ago, Judyrem said:

Thanks for the info, we will be on Barefoot beach in August and I an avid snorkeler too.

I was going to take the snorkel tour but I like to do my own thing.

I don't want to bring my snorkel gear (on the cruise), but I think I will rent it there.

On Barefoot beach the floaties, masks, fins --what you need to snorkel is complimentary.  Your beach attendant will take you to the booth outside barefoot, just show your sea pass when you sign out and return, and the snorkel stuff is free to use.

The attendant brought our floaties to us, we did not have to go get.

We gave our usual tip to him at the end of day.

Safe travels.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lionesss said:

On Barefoot beach the floaties, masks, fins --what you need to snorkel is complimentary.  Your beach attendant will take you to the booth outside barefoot, just show your sea pass when you sign out and return, and the snorkel stuff is free to use.

The attendant brought our floaties to us, we did not have to go get.

We gave our usual tip to him at the end of day.

Safe travels.

THANKS so much!

• 5 months later...
On 7/2/2019 at 7:06 PM, OnTheJourney said:

I disagree.....I've taken my gear every time we've gone to the Barefoot Beach (as an RCCL suite guest) and found decent snorkeling to the left side of the main swimming area - over near the rocks there are plenty of colorful fish and coral, sea fans, etc. Likely doesn't compare to some other islands but I've always really enjoyed it. 

Do you have to be a guest in a suite to go to Barefoot Beach?

On 7/13/2019 at 9:13 AM, Lionesss said:

Enjoy, we do.

I have my own snorkel gear so won't need any of that but just wondering if anyone can go over to barefoot beach to swim/snorkel? Or do you have to be a suite guest or renting a cabana?

13 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Must be a Suite Guest or other Gold Card Holder to access Barefoot Beach.

Gold card holder as in your status with RC?  If we are a Gold Card holder then we are allowed to be at the beach and are their chairs or do you have to rent a cabana of some sort? Or even chairs at the beach?

11 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

Gold card holder as in your status with RC?  If we are a Gold Card holder then we are allowed to be at the beach and are their chairs or do you have to rent a cabana of some sort? Or even chairs at the beach?

Gold Card means the color of your room key, not your status level with the Crown & Anchor Society.  Pinnacle members get a gold room card, as do "Ben & Jerry Suite" passengers.  

So no, if you are Gold in Crown & Anchor, you can't access Barefoot Beach unless you pay for a suite room.  

--------------------------------------------

Follow-up to my previous answer -- you can also access Barefoot Beach if you are the guest of someone who has rented a cabana on that beach; obtaining access would be managed through the on-board Suite Concierge.  

50 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Gold Card means the color of your room key, not your status level with the Crown & Anchor Society.  Pinnacle members get a gold room card, as do "Ben & Jerry Suite" passengers.  

So no, if you are Gold in Crown & Anchor, you can't access Barefoot Beach unless you pay for a suite room.  

--------------------------------------------

Follow-up to my previous answer -- you can also access Barefoot Beach if you are the guest of someone who has rented a cabana on that beach; obtaining access would be managed through the on-board Suite Concierge.  

Ok, got it. So what beaches can you go to then?

Columbus Cove, Adrenaline Beach...not sure if there is one more?  As I said in my post above, my husband has snorkeled both Columbus and Adrenaline and really didn't see anything.  The water was too cold for me to be interested in getting in.  If you just enjoy floating and looking around in the water (as my husband does!) it might be worth it to bring your gear.  I know you have a kiddo so I wanted to note that the water over by Adrenaline was rougher than at Columbus.  There is a rock break to the right but some largish waves still came over when we were there.

24 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

Ok, got it. So what beaches can you go to then?

Nellie's Beach, Columbus Cove, or Adrenaline Beach are accessible to all.

My preference would be Columbus Cove -- larger so less crowded than Nellie's, with calmer water and nicer sand than Adrenaline.