Phone Camera & Important Documentation

One of the great tips: Sign into the RC site and click on "Order History" and take a screen print on your PC and send it to your phone. Down load the PDF on your phone so you now have it without carrying paper ! Also another proof of something, take a photo of the paper with your phone and you will have it with you. Many take a photo of their drivers license and passport with their phone. The only paper I carry is the "Sea Pass" to hand to the RC person checking us in. Some people even take photos of their luggage so it lost they can show the agent. On my phone I have the bus & ferry schedule for Bermuda, along with the map. Suggest you also take a recent picture of all your family, so if one of the kids is missing on the ship, they have a recent pic to help find them.  Some people take pics of their receipts also.  Did that once without the waiter knowing it, and the waiter "added" in the system an extra $10 tip for themselves, thus easy to prove you did not leave the extra tip !  Any other good practices that people can suggest to protect themselves ?  

All good but  also make sure you have decent security on your phone most encrypt the drives now and also make sure you have something other than a 4 digit pin that is the year you were born, your home phone lats 4 or your house number.

Along with the find my phone if available remote wipe.

• Like 1

If you drive to the port and park at one of the "park and cruise" shuttle lots, take a pic of your claim ticket (same if you fly to the port and use a park and fly)

I suggest photocopying passport instead of taking a photo, or along with taking a photo. A copy guarantees the passport is completely flat and uncovered and ensures that all of the numbers should be completely legible. Photos can have shadows, or the passport can try and close a bit causing weird angles.

We only travel with our ipads.  Phones stay at home. But the issue is the same.

We do not print anything.  What do is record our reservation numbers-airlines, cruise, hotel, etc. on a small piece of paper.   We carry that with us.  We feel that it is all the backup we require.  We do the same with our passport numbers.

1 hour ago, dobiemom said:

I take a picture of my sign and sail card, and make it my phone's lock screen wallpaper. (Learned this on CC. ☺)

I like that.....good one!

Edited by Mr. Candyman

All good unless someone steals your phone. Phone camera's unlike regular cameras, don't not have a strap. Unless you put one on. Very easy for the bad guys, to run right by while you are taking a picture and grab it right out of you hands. It happen twice to passengers on my last cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greg4502 said:

All good unless someone steals your phone. Phone camera's unlike regular cameras, don't not have a strap. Unless you put one on. Very easy for the bad guys, to run right by while you are taking a picture and grab it right out of you hands. It happen twice to passengers on my last cruise.

Yikes!  What location was that? 

On our recent trip I was commenting to Mrs Ldubs that it would be nice to have a lanyard on the iPhone.   

Edited by ldubs

Having this additional documentation for luggage, faces, doc's, etc on an iPhone, iPad or whatever kind of electronic device is really a good idea.  

Good thread!

If you upload the pics to Google Drive or other  on-line storage, you not only have them on your phone. You can get to them from any device that allows you to log in to the storage.

Very important: also take pictures of your prescriptions or at least take a list including all the details including dosage. 

On a cruise last month, I had the misfortune to break my wrist. An open fracture that required emergency surgery under a general and 3 days in the hospital for IV antibiotics. 

I was asked at least 3 separate times what medications I take. I was so glad I had the photos of the labels on my phone to show them. I don't bring the bottles with me when I travel, just a pill carrier so I'd taken photos to have on my phone in case I was asked about the pills at customs.  Even if I did pack the bottles, they would haven't been with me at the hospital - so it is good to have the info on your phone/storage even if you pack the original bottles. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

Very important: also take pictures of your prescriptions or at least take a list including all the details including dosage.

Great idea. ☺

22 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

X2- great idea.  

The Apple Health app lets you put med history and medicines.  You can set it up so first responders can view your medical info in an emergency.  

• 4 weeks later...

Very good info here! I especially like the idea of having my medical info/prescription meds available on there.

One thing that I'd like to add is keeping your phone charged up and/or carrying your charger (with the proper adapter) or a portable power pack when you travel.

I work in a major London railway station and we have trains coming in from the airport. Every day there are people that have their e-tickets on their phone but can't access them because their phone is dead. They couldn't charge it on the train because their charger was packed away or, occasionally, because they weren't aware that we have different power sockets over here than in America and couldn't plug their charger in.

Not being able to prove that you have a ticket is the same as not having a ticket at all and the official rule is that you will need to purchase a new one before you're allowed to exit the platform. Obviously we are sympathetic when we can be, but shouting at me that "I have my ticket on my phone, I just can't show it to you!" isn't going to help the situation.

The same would be true if you needed to access the other information stated above or if medical staff or police needed to get into your phone.