Sail away from Manhattan - Best location on the Escape?

I am looking for the best place to be for sail away when I leave from Manhattan on the Escape in September.  I have read that the best place to be is forward and to get there early.  I was thinking about Spice H20 but someone mentioned that's not the best place to be.  I have a balcony cabin on the starboard side.  Would I miss everything if I stay there?  The other couple traveling with us has an aft balcony on Deck 14.  I am thinking maybe that would be the optimal location to see everything.  We sail away at 4 pm I believe.  I am interested in taking photographs of the Statue of Liberty, the skyline and the bridge.   I am a compulsive planner so any insight will be beneficial. 

Edited by sun_lovin!1
Mistake
  • Like 1

Any top deck with quick views to both sides is ideal... so you can see Manhattan AND New Jersey on both sides as you depart and shift to the starboard for the Statue of Liberty and then be up high to go under the Verazzano Narrows Bridge.

2 hours ago, sun_lovin!1 said:

I am looking for the best place to be for sail away when I leave from Manhattan on the Escape in September.  I have read that the best place to be is forward and to get there early.  I was thinking about Spice H20 but someone mentioned that's not the best place to be.  I have a balcony cabin on the starboard side.  Would I miss everything if I stay there?  The other couple traveling with us has an aft balcony on Deck 14.  I am thinking maybe that would be the optimal location to see everything.  We sail away at 4 pm I believe.  I am interested in taking photographs of the Statue of Liberty, the skyline and the bridge.   I am a compulsive planner so any insight will be beneficial. 

We're on the Escape Sept 1! Planning on being on the sun deck on deck 20 (it's small so I hope not too crowded!).

Have fun!

• Like 1

We did sail away on the Waterfront (Deck 8). Got drinks at District Brewhouse, and exited at the doors port side.

From port side we got views of the dock and Manhattan as the ship pulled away.  Then we walked around to the other side to catch the Statute of Liberty.  You have a lot of time— the Statue doesn’t come up until the ship has passed Manhattan.

Edit: just wanted to add that the Waterfront was really quiet, maybe only four other people, until we hit the Statute of Liberty. Even then it was maybe 10-15, and easy to get a spot by the railing.

(Attempting to attach three photos, not sure if it’ll work. One was taken port side, one aft, and one starboard, all from Deck 8.)

7552C9F2-679F-4B65-944E-D7CEA5A85C12.jpeg

B73C51F2-C9BD-4EC2-AA3E-60FFEC687A68.jpeg

B9642662-F7F2-4553-989C-2E82CE878684.jpeg

Edited by Tamereth
  • Like 2

Starboard side from your balcony. We had some great views on our sail away on the Breakaway! We grabbed a few cocktails and brought them back to room. 

Just a few pictures from our balcony.

IMG_20170521_160438.jpg

IMG_20170521_161740.jpg

IMG_20170521_162738.jpg

IMG_20170521_163733.jpg

IMG_20170521_165347.jpg

IMG_20170521_165621.jpg

Edited by alexgtp

Personally I prefer being on the port side for a full view of Manhattan, and booked there for my Getaway cruise 2 weeks ago and my Escape cruise in August. There isn't much to see on the starboard side except Lady Liberty. Being that your friends have an aft facing balcony on deck 14, that's where I would want to be for sailaway. Away from the crowds, and the ability to see the Manhattan side and the New Jersey side without having to fight for a new spot. Plenty of room for 4 on the aft balcony too, grab some drinks after muster and enjoy! 

• Like 1

I would also vote the aft balcony.  You'd get views of both the Manhattan skyline and the SoL, away from the crowds.  Also, there is nothing more relaxing than watching the city and real life shrink away in the wake of the ship.....ahhhhhhhhh

• Like 3

6 hours ago, sun_lovin!1 said:

I have a balcony cabin on the starboard side.  Would I miss everything if I stay there? 

You'd miss the entire port side -- the magnificent sail along Manhattan.  It's a large part of what makes a sailaway from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal one of the most spectacular in the world (imho).  And you'd only have a partial view of the Verrazzano as you go under.

As others have said, best to be up on a high deck where you can go from side to side; once you've passed the Statue of Liberty, go someplace where you have a good forward-facing view for sailing under the Verrazzano.  That won't be the same from your friends' aft balcony.

I've done this a few times..

1 of 2 locations:

-Deck 19 Port Forward corner - Near the Hot Tub.  I stand iright n the front corner, can see forward and Port.  Excellent View.  You can stand on the Hot Tub deck as well if you're brave. That's amnazing as well

-Go to Spice H20, you can go from Port to Starboard Aft, that's also a great location if you get there right after the drill.

I'd vote for the aft section of the waterfront on deck 8 or the aft cabin (depending on its precise view) and then moving to deck 19 or 20 once past the SoL to go under the bridge.  The lower decks have fewer windbreaks (the clearer view makes it easier to get pictures, especially with a DSLR) and are much less crowded.  If you want to be near the sail-away festivities the upper decks are great, but IMHO they don't provide much benefit except when going under the bridge.  I would stay away from Spice; most intrusive windbreaks on the ship!  In inclement weather the buffet actually has a decent view.

Keep in mind that looking aft you will eventually see everything.  I'd avoid sticking to a starboard balcony; good view of the SoL but not much else.

After passing the SOL, how long do you estimate there is before the Verrazano Bridge?  We want to watch sail away from our aft balcony and then move to a higher deck for going under the bridge.

1 hour ago, rwf1 said:

After passing the SOL, how long do you estimate there is before the Verrazano Bridge?  We want to watch sail away from our aft balcony and then move to a higher deck for going under the bridge.

I would say you will have at least approx. 20 minutes.

On 5/7/2019 at 9:52 AM, PelicanBill said:

Any top deck with quick views to both sides is ideal... so you can see Manhattan AND New Jersey on both sides as you depart and shift to the starboard for the Statue of Liberty and then be up high to go under the Verazzano Narrows Bridge.

Agree.  Your starboard balcony will be good for seeing the Statue of Liberty, but you won't see the NYC skyline, which is pretty cool.  

yes.. go high so when you go under the overpriced rustbucket known as the Verazzano Narrows Bridge you can see just how badly that bridge, with a $19.00 toll, needs to be painted :)... I'm an old Staten Island/Brooklyn boy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is going to be confusing, but we went to the front on one of the top decks.   There was a clear, angled  partition and we just sat under it.  It blocked the wind (which was great since it was cold - 3/17) and let us see both sides.   People were able to stand behind us and we didn't block their view either.   The whole space under there was full.  It was great :-)

IMG_4634.JPG

• Like 1

This was the perfect question and answers for me!  Thanks!!  Just found out about this site, and am enjoying reading all the tips shared so far. I’ve been so caught up in regular life, I can’t believe our cruise is May 19th!! 

2 hours ago, LrgPizza said:

My favorite place to be is up, up, up as high as I could get. When you go under the bridge, you will feel like you can reach up and touch it. It's quite an experience.

So where is your favorite spot?  Unless, of course, you want to keep it secret!