Ferry to Hamilton

ranchette

1 hour ago, ranchette said:

I know it was on here already but I cannot find the ferry schedule from the Dockyard to Hamilton. Can anyone tell me where to find it? Going in June.

It has scrolled down. Wish we could do stickies for thing like bus and ferry schedules. Here it is again. 

http://marops.bm/Documents/Ferry/Summer Ferry Schedule 2019.pdf

About a month ago I was in contact with a friend in BDA. Going next week and, at the time, he told me to download a schedule right before I go. He said there have been lots of problems with the bus schedule and it could change anytime. He didn’t say if that also applied to the ferry schedule,

5 hours ago, iheartbda said:

About a month ago I was in contact with a friend in BDA. Going next week and, at the time, he told me to download a schedule right before I go. He said there have been lots of problems with the bus schedule and it could change anytime. He didn’t say if that also applied to the ferry schedule,

The ferry schedule is stable, unlike the bus schedule. While there may be the occasional temporary operational problem due to mechanical issues, weather or even labor union actions, in all the years I've been taking the ferry I can't remember a sudden mid-season change in the underlying schedule other than one day adjustments in service on major holidays.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, carnival03 said:

Do you have to buy a ticket beforehand? Or, can you use exact fare when boarding the ferry?

You have to have exact fare (and from what I understood when I was there a couple of weeks ago, it has to be in change, not bills).  You can buy tokens in the kiosk where the ferry comes into the Dockyard.  You can also buy 15 tickets (which is good for bus and ferries and works out to a little cheaper per trip) or 1,2,3 day unlimited passes (again good for ferries and the bus system).  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shih-tzu said:

You have to have exact fare (and from what I understood when I was there a couple of weeks ago, it has to be in change, not bills).  You can buy tokens in the kiosk where the ferry comes into the Dockyard.  You can also buy 15 tickets (which is good for bus and ferries and works out to a little cheaper per trip) or 1,2,3 day unlimited passes (again good for ferries and the bus system).  

You can use bills for the ferry and although buses are technically not supposed to take bills, some drivers do, although you can't count on it.

Also, to be clear, neither ticket books nor 3 day passes have been sold at the Dockyard for some years. That could have changed this year but I've not heard anything that it has.  Did you see them being sold at Dockyard when you were there? If so we'll be happy to tell everyone that they now are sold at Dockyard.  You can buy them in Hamilton or St. George. Tokens and 1 or 2 day passes are sold at the Dockyard.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, njhorseman said:

You can give them the exact fare when boarding.

12 hours ago, Shih-tzu said:

Thank you both.

18 minutes ago, ranchette said:

I read you can pay for the ferry with a 5 dollar bill. Is this true or do you need coins?

Unless something has changed recently, and I've seen nothing official to say it has,  you an use a $5 bill.

On 5/21/2019 at 11:27 PM, njhorseman said:

You can use bills for the ferry and although buses are technically not supposed to take bills, some drivers do, although you can't count on it.

Also, to be clear, neither ticket books nor 3 day passes have been sold at the Dockyard for some years. That could have changed this year but I've not heard anything that it has.  Did you see them being sold at Dockyard when you were there? If so we'll be happy to tell everyone that they now are sold at Dockyard.  You can buy them in Hamilton or St. George. Tokens and 1 or 2 day passes are sold at the Dockyard.

I didn't try to buy the tickets or passes, I just purchased 4 tokens to use the Hamilton Ferry.  Planned to until I found out Norwegian had the free ferry to St George so used that one day, and then went to Hamilton the other.... (used a shuttle to go to Horseshoe Bay because of the hill...I'm old....).  I just checked the web site and it says you can get passes and tokens (not tickets) at the Visitor Information Center at the Dockyard.   I had originally planned on buying the pass and had looked it up ahead of time (but you are correct - they don't sell the tickets).  (there is a VIC at two places at the peir - one in front of where each ship docks - not sure if it's both or just one that may have the passes).

Edited by Shih-tzu
Added last sentence

On 5/22/2019 at 11:23 AM, njhorseman said:

Unless something has changed recently, and I've seen nothing official to say it has,  you an use a $5 bill.

The official site says they accept "Cash (exact change/coins only)."  Farther down it says "Exact change only" and "Note:  Drivers do not make change and are forbidden from receiving and depositing money into the farebox".   Maybe they do accept bills knowing that tourists aren't loaded with Bermudan quarters, but I was prepared to have to get coins when I got there based on the website.....  I wouldn't want to wait for a bus only to find out when it got there I couldn't get on it.....  this is on the Government of Bermuda web site (https://www.gov.bm).  Turns out we didn't use the bus after we got there - used the ferries and a shuttle.  Hope this helps....

13 hours ago, Shih-tzu said:

The official site says they accept "Cash (exact change/coins only)."  Farther down it says "Exact change only" and "Note:  Drivers do not make change and are forbidden from receiving and depositing money into the farebox".   Maybe they do accept bills knowing that tourists aren't loaded with Bermudan quarters, but I was prepared to have to get coins when I got there based on the website.....  I wouldn't want to wait for a bus only to find out when it got there I couldn't get on it.....  this is on the Government of Bermuda web site (https://www.gov.bm).  Turns out we didn't use the bus after we got there - used the ferries and a shuttle.  Hope this helps....

The question I answered from poster ranchette was about using bills on the ferries. The quote you provided is intended to apply to the buses, where bills are not accepted. Note the sentence I've highlighted in red, which specifically is talking about (bus) drivers.

Ferries accept bills, buses do not...unless the driver is being kind that day.

This past week there was a bright blue rectangular metal building on the dock that had helpful folks and sold tokens and passes. On Sunday it was open when we docked, but closed when we got back from the beach. We had a busy day on Monday, and I don't remember them being open. Tuesday there was a mega-ship there along with the Gem, and they were open and busy. I wish they posted schedules on the outside of this kiosk.

1 hour ago, JustThinking23 said:

This past week there was a bright blue rectangular metal building on the dock that had helpful folks and sold tokens and passes. On Sunday it was open when we docked, but closed when we got back from the beach. We had a busy day on Monday, and I don't remember them being open. Tuesday there was a mega-ship there along with the Gem, and they were open and busy. I wish they posted schedules on the outside of this kiosk.

In the past where they sold tokens and passes on the dock closed at 1:30 during the week. The VIC near the ferry docks stayed open until 4:30. They also used to sell tokens at the craft market but I don’t know if that is still the case. 

Edited by Charles4515

Oh and inmjecting the Good Ole Days as it was..

The Tokens and / or  passes were sold to cruisers on the ships to ease the burden on the workers ashore. Oh Can Yee Hear us Now Cruise Lines, PROVING more Revenues and thusly PROfITS to the Cruise lines..., yes allowing us paying Cruisers and ease to obtain the Transportation ashore..

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Sailaway Pat said:

Wondering if we need to take the 5:45 ferry to Hamilton (tight schedule with our excursion) or can we take the 7:15 and not miss out on too much of the festival if we arrive at 7:45?  Thanks

I personally would not even bother going from the Dockyard to Hamilton for Harbour Nights arriving that late. That is my opinion. The Gombey dancers usually start performing at 7:30 and finish up by 8:00. The best time for the vendors and tables is between 7 and 7:30 before the dancers perform. If you have an excursion I would not worry about missing Harbour Nights. I was there a few weeks ago and didn’t get back from Horseshoe Bay until 4:30. I decided it was not worth it to rush to clean up, shower, change clothes and catch the 5:15 ferry to Hamilton. It was an on the spot decision.  It is okay to wing it. Been to Harbour Nights a few times and in my opinion it is a nice to do but not a must do.  

Edited by Charles4515

On 5/29/2019 at 6:14 PM, AAAAmerican said:

Oh and inmjecting the Good Ole Days as it was..

The Tokens and / or  passes were sold to cruisers on the ships to ease the burden on the workers ashore. Oh Can Yee Hear us Now Cruise Lines, PROVING more Revenues and thusly PROfITS to the Cruise lines..., yes allowing us paying Cruisers and ease to obtain the Transportation ashore..

I've been looking to see if purchasing onboard is an option - can you confirm that it's not?  (Darn those "Good Ole Days"...)  We'll be on Royal Caribbean's Anthem of the Seas if it matters.

15 minutes ago, milford_cruiser said:

I've been looking to see if purchasing onboard is an option - can you confirm that it's not?  (Darn those "Good Ole Days"...)  We'll be on Royal Caribbean's Anthem of the Seas if it matters.

It was an option in the good old days. I don't think so now on any cruise line. Have not been on Royal to Bermuda for some years but on sister cruise line Celebrity it is not an option. 

• Like 1