3 Reef Snorkel Excursion Questions

Hello!  We are going on the Independence of the Seas in December to Cozumel.  We would like to do the 3 Reef Snorkel excursion, but I have some questions.  What do you do with your belongings when in the water?  I'm assuming you need to bring some cash for tips, maybe a credit card (just in case!), your ship card, and your passport. (Right?)  I'm also assuming that you wouldn't want to bring those things in the water with you.....so where do they go? Are there lockers on the boats?  How do you know your items are safe while you have fun?  TIA! 🙂

sunflower.jpg

We've probably been on 30+ snorkel excursions throughout the Caribbean.  We take a backpack for all our stuff, have left it on the boat every time.  Money, seapass, sunglasses, etc etc.  Never a problem with theft.  The other guests aren't out to rip you off, and neither are the crew.

• Like 1

You just leave your bag on the boat. There is never an issue.

The 3 reef snorkel is a great tour. When we did it last year. The crew would jump off at each reef to check the current. Then position the boat at the head of the current, then come pick us at the end. One reef had a very strong current which was really fun. All people had to jump simultaneously into the water. 

• Like 1

Another one who leaves everything in a beach bag / backpack / tote on the ship.  

Also, be sure to put sensitive items (cameras, phones, etc.) in a big plastic ziploc type bag for splash safety!

• Like 1

No reason to take a passport ashore in Coz.  They do want a picture ID with your cruise card to get back on the pier.  Have never seen a locker on a snorkeling boat - you just throw your bag under the bench you are sitting on or in the cabin.  Folks even leave them on the trampoline when they are on a catamaran.  

• Like 1

I've done several cruise excursions and many dive excursions both on vacation and living in the islands.  I've never had anything taken. I usually just leave everything in my beach bag.  Lately, I have been more cautious-not sure why.  But I bought a waterproof phone case on my last cruise.  I put my id, Sea Pass, credit card, and my cash in it. I left my phone in my beach bag. I thought the odds were much greater at having the phone messed up due to the waterproof bag being compromised as opposed to it being taken from my beach bag. Hard to know what to do, life is a gamble.

• Like 1

When I ordered my own snorkel equipment (mask, snorkel, fins) several years ago a very nice backpack was included. I leave my fins at home but add my full face mask and a towel. They are three pockets that I use for various items, and I take a large zip lock to keep my seapass, camera, wallet with cash and debit card and a copy of my passport. I usually put it under the seating as long as its dry there while I'm in the water. Normally, one or two crew members stay on the boat/cat incl. the captain. They'll keep an eye out but all guests should be in the water.