Liverpool to Madrid

MicCanberra

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

ย 

Well at least that's better than my team (Southampton) this season - we've not been getting the results that we've begged for, and haveย been reduced toย begging for the results of our relegation rivals.ย :classic_rolleyes:

Fortunately Cardiff's results were worse, so it's they who dropped into the abyss.ย 

ย 

BTW, I've always had a healthy dislike of Liverpool.

Partly cos we're both port cities but mainly cos of the way Liverpool have beenย unsettling and poaching our best players. Van Dyke, Mane, Lallana, Clyne, Schneiderlin, etc.

After they were hammered in the first leg at Barca, I was looking for them to take a pasting at Anfield, but they fought back so well that I was actually cheering for them.

But I'm still pleased that they lost out in the race for the Premiership, and hopefully it'll be another 19 years before they win it.ย :classic_tongue:

ย 

Watford for the Cup?ย :classic_biggrin:

More begging required.ย :classic_rolleyes:

ย 

JBย :classic_wink:

ย 

Cheers JB, I appreciate why people go for certain teams and also dislike other teams. Fortunately, when it come to sport I have been lucky to be a participant as well as a supporter across various leagues around the world. This way I always have a good result on any given weekend.

6 minutes ago, John Bull said:

ย 

Yes, and that gives me a problem for the CL.

I want to cheer against Liverpool.

But I also want to cheer against Spurs.ย :classic_biggrin:

ย 

Although I think Liverpool willย win, I'll stick to cheering against them.ย ย 

It wasn't Spurs'fault that Poch deserted Southampton, Southampton wasn'tย big enough for hisย ambitions.

And now according to the mediaย it seems that Spurs aren't eitherย :classic_tongue:

ย 

JBย :classic_smile:

ps I haven't forgotten about Gareth Bale either. But that was Southampton's style - had (note the use of the past tense) a great academy, found and nurtured talent, but then kept selling.

I will only listen to your thoughts of Liverpool winning and disregard the rest of that sentence. In terms of developing Talent it is a win lose situation, develop good talent but do not have the team and credit to keep it. We have that in many clubs in many sports not just football.

14 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

In terms of developing Talent it is a win lose situation, develop good talent but do not have the team and credit to keep it. We have that in many clubs in many sports not just football.

ย 

ย 

Agreed.

And Southampton's reputationย for cashing-in - and cashing-in too early eg Bale & Walcott - hasn't helped.

ย 

But they dug their heels in and resisted Van Dyke's desire to break his contract after Liverpool's unprofessional & illegal approaches to the player. Net resultย he played poorly, was an unsettling influence on the team, and was dropped until he realised that he wouldn't get his move if he carried on like that. Eventually they felt bound to get shot of him - and of course to cash-in.

Me? Despite the wages & transfer fee, I'd haveย left him to kick his heels at home til his contract expired, wrecking his name and career. Sometime you gotta make a stand against crass disloyalty.

ย 

I have great respect for loyalties - at Southampton the likes of Channon & Le Tissier, but there have beenย many other loyal servants at other clubs.

Far too much money and selfishness in the sport these days, particularly after the re-branding (or more accurately the revised financing) of the First Division to the "Premier League" in '92 and the old 2nd Division also following the money.ย And the consequent glut of foreign talent has resulted in the loss of English talent which used to come up thro the ranks of the lower leagues, hence a poor national team and financially-strapped clubs in the lower leagues. The demise lastย week of one-time greatย Bolton Wanderers is an example.

ย 

Rant overย :classic_rolleyes:

ย 

COYR

ย 

ย 

I have two anecdotes that I like to use, especially when referring to sport.

1. Money ruins everything.

ย 

It seems to me the more money put into any sport, the worse it becomes in many ways. Just look atย  how leagues have changed since getting richer, they have become more lopsided rather than levelling the competition and with the massive gambling being involved now, big money on offer is affecting results, players, referees and not necessarily by match fixing but by fear of making a mistake.

ย 

2. The most important thing about sport is that it is not important. (Mark Twain).

ย 

I have used this second one often especially when results don't go my way, or even when they do, as a day or so after the result, your life carries on as per usual.

On 5/14/2019 at 1:56 AM, John Bull said:

ย 

Yes, and that gives me a problem for the CL.

I want to cheer against Liverpool.

But I also want to cheer against Spurs.ย :classic_biggrin:

ย 

Although I think Liverpool willย win, I'll stick to cheering against them.ย ย 

It wasn't Spurs'fault that Poch deserted Southampton, Southampton wasn'tย big enough for hisย ambitions.

And now according to the mediaย it seems that Spurs aren't eitherย :classic_tongue:

ย 

ps I haven't forgotten about Gareth Bale either. But that was Southampton's style - had (note the use of the past tense) a great academy, found and nurtured talent, but then kept selling.

JB - thanks to Southampton for sending Steven Davis back home to Glasgow. Played a great match last Sunday when we thumpedย Celtic.

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

JB - thanks to Southampton for sending Steven Davis back home to Glasgow. Played a great match last Sunday when we thumpedย Celtic.

ย 

ย 

Decent striker.:classic_smile:

Problem is, we have more than enough "decent" strikers - Redmond, Austin, Ings, Long etc - but nobody outstanding since we sold Mane to 'Poolย and Pelleย  to Japan.

That's the Southampton way.ย :classic_rolleyes:

ย 

4 hours ago, John Bull said:

ย 

ย 

Decent striker.:classic_smile:

Problem is, we have more than enough "decent" strikers - Redmond, Austin, Ings, Long etc - but nobody outstanding since we sold Mane to 'Poolย and Pelleย  to Japan.

That's the Southampton way.ย :classic_rolleyes:

ย 

Also remember when they sold Walcott while still a teenager.

ย 

Davis was always a midfielder at Ibrox - attacking midfield until 2012, but now sitting just in front of the back 4 and spraying passes around.

12 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Mane was okay

ย 

Okay, Mic?

OKAY ????

Joint top-scorer in the Premier League wasย only "okay" ?ย 

Add another goalscorer as good as him & Liverpool will have the Premiership in the bag by Christmas.

ย 

And by replacingย him with Liverpool's Danny Ings,ย Southampton end up relying on the dross at the bottom of the table to avoid relegationย 

ย 

ย 

9 hours ago, John Bull said:

ย 

Okay, Mic?

OKAY ????

Joint top-scorer in the Premier League wasย only "okay" ?ย 

Add another goalscorer as good as him & Liverpool will have the Premiership in the bag by Christmas.

ย 

And by replacingย him with Liverpool's Danny Ings,ย Southampton end up relying on the dross at the bottom of the table to avoid relegationย 

ย 

ย 

I thought you may bite.ย ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Yes, he was good and as I said, with Salah joint scorer as well, they made an awesome pair up front.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Liverpool win the Champions League for the 6th time, 2-0 over Tottenham. Well done Liverpool after such a solid season and missing the Premiership by one point.

Brilliant result ๐Ÿ™‚, actual match not so good.

ย 

Next season - Liverpool to win EPL & Rangers, with a Liverpool legend as Manager, to win the SPL.