Booked Another Cruise! (A RIVER CRUISE!)

Lois R

Hi solo folks, I booked my 2nd River cruise:classic_biggrin:...the first one was back in 2016 so it

is about time!  I am going on UNIWORLD out of Venice so it is not the same as a

"regular river cruise" but I LOVE Italy and I know Uniworld gets very high marks:classic_smile:

I sail in October so just have to get through the summer and part of the fall. Oh,

I got a great price on the cabin too!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi solo folks, I booked my 2nd River cruise:classic_biggrin:...the first one was back in 2016 so it

is about time!  I am going on UNIWORLD out of Venice so it is not the same as a

"regular river cruise" but I LOVE Italy and I know Uniworld gets very high marks:classic_smile:

I sail in October so just have to get through the summer and part of the fall. Oh,

I got a great price on the cabin too!

Just wondering what ship and cruise you booked with Uniworld (if you don't mind sharing). Thanks!

8 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Just wondering what ship and cruise you booked with Uniworld (if you don't mind sharing). Thanks!

I don't mind.  Sailing on the River Countess and it is called "Gems of Northern Italy":classic_smile:

Lois, I was going to make a pun and say you made a PO choice but I will restrain myself, as I think it will be a great cruise.  Although I have been to Venice and other areas in Italy, I have not toured the Northern areas that the PO flows through so I think you will have a great trip.  Maybe in a year or two when I retire I will have the time to do some exploring again.  Neil

I took this same cruise this past fall and I loved it.  It was my first river cruise experience so I had nothing to compare it to so will be interested to hear your opinion on Uniworld vs. AmaWaterways.  

I think I'm taking this year off from cruises as I have a Road Scholar vacation planned this summer and in the late fall will likely do a land vacation with my son to Spain.  Hopefully I won't start having the shakes or something from lack of cruising.  🙂

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:34 PM, bottomfeeder said:

I took this same cruise this past fall and I loved it.  It was my first river cruise experience so I had nothing to compare it to so will be interested to hear your opinion on Uniworld vs. AmaWaterways.  

I think I'm taking this year off from cruises as I have a Road Scholar vacation planned this summer and in the late fall will likely do a land vacation with my son to Spain.  Hopefully I won't start having the shakes or something from lack of cruising.  🙂

Good morning, I have heard of Road Scholar....I think they used to be "ELDER HOSTEL".....funny how life is...….when I was younger, my folks traveled with The Elder Hostel group to different places...….my folks are gone now...….does that now make me feel old? …….where are you going with them?

On 5/9/2019 at 5:04 PM, Lois R said:

I don't mind.  Sailing on the River Countess and it is called "Gems of Northern Italy":classic_smile:

Hi Lois,

Haven't been active for a while but I'm getting back into cruising! If you don't mind, what date in Oct. are you sailing and is it the 8 day or the 10 day?  I looked at this cruise and it sounds wonderful. 🤩

Thanks, Sue

51 minutes ago, bjbear said:

Hi Lois,

Haven't been active for a while but I'm getting back into cruising! If you don't mind, what date in Oct. are you sailing and is it the 8 day or the 10 day?  I looked at this cruise and it sounds wonderful. 🤩

Thanks, Sue

Hi Sue:classic_smile:, good to see you again.  I am going on OCT 13th for 8 nights.  I am actually flying out on Oct 11th and I arrive on Oct 12th so have 1 night pre-cruise in Venice. Booked my flights and hotel as well:classic_smile:

On 5/17/2019 at 7:14 AM, Lois R said:

Good morning, I have heard of Road Scholar....I think they used to be "ELDER HOSTEL".....funny how life is...….when I was younger, my folks traveled with The Elder Hostel group to different places...….my folks are gone now...….does that now make me feel old? …….where are you going with them?

I'm going to do a tour of the Bay of Fundy called something like "The Bay of Tidal Wonders".  I can drive to/from it from my summer place in Maine in just a few hours, and I've been wanting to go to the Atlantic provinces in Canada for years so I'm pretty excited. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2019 at 1:25 PM, bottomfeeder said:

I'm going to do a tour of the Bay of Fundy called something like "The Bay of Tidal Wonders".  I can drive to/from it from my summer place in Maine in just a few hours, and I've been wanting to go to the Atlantic provinces in Canada for years so I'm pretty excited. 

So, I am able to combine an ocean cruise WITH Road Scholar! In July, I board Holland America for a 15 day trip to the Alaskan coastal waters. All excursions are included, plus lectures. I am going solo, but of course will be with a group of about 35  so will never be lonely! Free airfare from my state, too. all for about $5,000.

5 minutes ago, skleeb said:

So, I am able to combine an ocean cruise WITH Road Scholar! In July, I board Holland America for a 15 day trip to the Alaskan coastal waters. All excursions are included, plus lectures. I am going solo, but of course will be with a group of about 35  so will never be lonely! Free airfare from my state, too. all for about $5,000.

Sounds like a very good price to me! 5 Grand for 15 days including flights? Good for you:classic_smile:

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Sounds like a very good price to me! 5 Grand for 15 days including flights? Good for you:classic_smile:

Yeppers! Hope it is the best of both worlds. I found it last August and put a deposit down almost a year in advance (with the balance due this past April). Others might not not be able to plan that far out, but I couldn't resist. Never done Alaska, Road Sch. or HAL.

On 6/2/2019 at 5:03 PM, skleeb said:

That does sound like a great deal!  And I would love to have a chance to spend more time in Alaska--my only visit there was a 7-day Seattle round trip cruise about 15 or so years ago.  Be sure to post how you liked it when you return.

• Like 1

Well, I make my final payment at the end of the week for my cruise:classic_biggrin:........if anyone is still lurking, (maybe Robin or Roz)......

Do you recall how the coffee tasted? I love a good cup of Joe after dinner/in the morning and just wondering about Uniworld's coffee.

I thought their coffee was uniformly great.  They had a "coffee menu" kind of thing--not that you got a choice about which type of coffee they were serving in the dining room, but the menu told you what brand/variety of coffee they were serving that day and it varied from day to day.

Plus you could always get (included) any type of fancy coffee drink you wanted.