FedEx box to embarkation

OctoberKat

Hello,

I would like to fedex a box of books to my Vancouver embarkation for the 18 July cruise to Alaska. The idea being it would be waiting for me in my suite when I board. Has anyone done this or know if it is possible to do do?

I have never done it with a cruise ship, but I have done it with hotels.  If you are staying a night in the hotel before hand, you can call the hotel, ask them (they should say yes - I have never had a major hotel say no).   Just ship to the name address they request.  I do this for work all the time.  Note: you may be required to pay customs on the items shipping to another country. I  would plan for the shipment to arrive 24 hours before you need it. Communicate the tracking number to the front desk of the hotel once you have it.

If you want to try and do it directly to the ship - you would have to contact windstar.  You could also try the port. 

Sorry if this does not help.

Is shipping books less expensive than carrying them on or checking an extra bag?

Good luck.

Um, I am bringing a lot of books, around 25 or so. At our advanced ages (heh), we find it much easier to have others do the toting. We fly from SFO.  Easy to get them from hotel to port, however, what with bellfolk and port luggage handlers.

Why so many books? I'm bringing some to leave in the ship library, others to hand off to new friends, and some for me. Plus bird and wildlife guides.

Edited by OctoberKat

I usually have the package arrive one day before me.  When you call you can make sure it is ok. No need to explain about too many books.  I am an avid reader.

Edited by msears101

2 minutes ago, msears101 said:

I usually have the package arrive one day before me.  When you call you can make sure it is ok. No need to explain about too many books.  I am an avid reader.

Another good idea. Ah, you understand book mania. Also will have my kindle.

WS uses a port agent in each port and they may accept packages so they may be able to WS or your TA will be able to tell you. 

Two other issues. Assuming your shipping from the US, the unaccompanied box will be subject to clearance through customs and this could be delayed or even stopped until customs are paid. Unlikely but possible. My office clears stuff through customs and it’s a pain involving using a broker. 

The other thing I don’t understand is the “leave them in the ship’s library.” This isn’t a take one leave one sort of place but an actual

collection serviced by a company under contract. The staff may very well remove items that don’t belong there. Just another caution. I don’t think it’s not heavily managed since last time we were on board one of the triplets most of the books were still stamped Seabourn. 

After I typed this I realized that FedEx and other major shippers will generally clear their packages through customs, but we do get a shipment pulled aside once in a while So, unlikely to happen but it could.

Thinking about this more - you have multiple points to deal with if you take the books as baggage:

At the departure airport - many airports have carts outside the dropoff point, but you'd need to load them on. If not, a Sky Cap can help for a tip. You'll need to get them on the scale at baggage check and then you're good to go until arrive.

At the arrival airport - there will be carts in the baggage area. Some airlines have staff there and they would likely help get your bags onto a cart, or someone else waiting would likely be kind enough to help. They you need to wheel them through customs and to the curb for your pickup. There the cabbie or whatever you're using will help. At the Hotel the doormen will help get them to your room.

To the ship - again, the hotel will help with your departure, but in my experience you could be without help at the port. I've not been through Vancouver, so can't speak as to whether or not they have porters from the curb to the WS checkin desk. Once you drop them there, the next time you'll see them is in your cabin.

Edited by milepig

Not taking the books as baggage.

Yes, I know the ship's library is "official" but I've never had anyone complain about the books I leave in the ship library, or in airports or in any other place. My goal is spread the book love. Just a personal quirk that makes me happy.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OctoberKat said:

Yes, I know the ship's library is "official" but I've never had anyone complain about the books I leave in the ship library, or in airports or in any other place. My goal is spread the book love. Just a personal quirk that makes me happy.

So sorry to have wasted your time spent reading my suggestions that I spent a considerable amount of time on. Only trying to help. Just think of the WS employee who has to toss your worthless books to return the library to the state it is meant to be in. 

Have a a great trip and, by the way, you’re welcome. 

21 hours ago, OctoberKat said:

We have found that Windstar reception has always encouraged passengers to leave books to add to the library.  We've left many over the years  novels, travel,  etc. and always enjoyed finding newly donated books when we arrive back on our favorite ships. We've also noticed the supply has dwindled since the popularity e readers so thanks for doing this. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sb44 said:

We have found that Windstar reception has always encouraged passengers to leave books to add to the library.  We've left many over the years  novels, travel,  etc. and always enjoyed finding newly donated books when we arrive back on our favorite ships. We've also noticed the supply has dwindled since the popularity e readers so thanks for doing this. 

Likewise, we nearly always leave a book or two in the library.  It is a nice gesture to share your books.  Thanks for your literary contributions.

• Like 1

Have checked Luggage Forward and it will work well. It's expensive yet worthwhile in saving hassle and manhandling. For $214 I can ship 50 pounds which would include the books plus other weighty items, e.g., my CPAP machine and outerwear for both of us. It gets picked up at my home, then delivered to our Windstar suite. Yay!

I realize this would not work for many but I am a believer in substituting money for effort and hassle. May be a good option for others who don't mind the expense or for folk with bulky items, e.g., golfbags and the like. Thanks again to r&rd.

I should add, the books I am contributing to the onboard library are specific to Alaska. I am betting they will be well received; fiction and non, travel and verse (Robert Service).

Sent from my iPad

Edited by OctoberKat
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would send heavy items. I would not send medical equipment like the crap.  I would put crap in a carryon. I wouldn’t want to lose it. Caps are expensive to replace.  Medical equipment is not included in airline weight limits.  My husband got tired of carrying his Cpap. It is heavy. Got a smaller travel model.  It is smaller and much lighter than the regular model. Both are Resmeds.  Another plus is that he uses the same mask and it doesn’t need water to use.  In some places finding distilled water was almost impossible.  If you travel often, it may pay to buy a travel cpap. 

When I was on the Surf there were numerous books in the library which had obviously been left by previous guests.  There's no way Windstar would have placed Maureen McCormick's (Marcia from the Brady Bunch) autobiography in the library.  I admit it, I was intrigued.  It turned out to be an easy and mindless read that was no problem to finish a few minutes here and there over two weeks.  

• Like 1

FYI, I travel often with my CPAP, always in checked baggage. Nary a problem in 12 years. Thus, I've zero qualms in chucking it (well padded) into the bag Luggage Forward will speed to our Star Legend suite in Vancouver. I am a copacetic traveler in the main.

Edited by OctoberKat

• 1 month later...

Here is an update on the process with Luggage Forward.

Early last week they sent me the label packet with instructions (easy to follow). They said my bag would be picked up at my home on February 5th between 1-3pm. At 1:30pm today, Feb. 5th, I received email notification that the bag had been picked up.

So, pretty easy.

On 5/9/2019 at 6:30 PM, OctoberKat said:

We always leave books and have read many good books onboard that were left by other passengers.  Reception welcomes the donations as there used to be many more "exchanges" before Kindles. When we first started sailing Windstar the libraries were full. Lately much more sparse so I, for one, appreciate your donation.  You should have no problem with your FedEx.  I've done this both ways. The hotel is a much better option than the port agent. Only downside is the expense! 

• 4 weeks later...

Winding up my experience with using Luggage Forward to ship one piece of luggage to the Star Legend in Vancouver from my home in Palo Alto, CA.

In a word — flawless. Easily booked on their website, picked up promptly, delivered to my suite on Star Legend. No issues, smooth. I will use again.

As for the “official” library — I became known on board as the book lady for the tomes I left in the library and handed to fellow passengers. The expedition staffers and naturalists were especially appreciative. They asked, and I had to answer, “Yes, I’m a librarian.”

• Like 2