Now now..... He can't help supporting Liverpool! 😃

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

Mic, you're an embarrassment to your country :classic_biggrin:

JB :classic_smile:

LOL, it is a cruise forum after all.

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

League or Union?

Oh, dear God! 

The one where Ireland is ranked No 2 in the world. 

Okay, the wallabies were good for a while but have declined due to too many other sports being better to play and better paid.

Which happens first- World RU or World R. League?

Just want to know how my weekends are going to work out this summer/autumn.

Local pubs put on all sorts of events, so I might be able to have a bit of peace at home. 😄

The Rugby Union World Cup is held between Fri, 20 Sep 2019 – Sat, 2 Nov 2019 in Japan.

The Rugby League World Cup is held between 23 October 2021 and 27 November 2021 in England.

Thanks Mic... he's a union man, but I'm more of a league-er!

On 5/15/2019 at 5:28 AM, John Bull said:

Mic, you're an embarrassment to your country :classic_biggrin:

Of course the ultimate embarrassments to country usually seem to be British football fans traveling in packs abroad.

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course the ultimate embarrassments to country usually seem to be British football fans traveling in packs abroad.

Hopefully seeing as both teams are from England, there will not be any issues.

21 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Hopefully seeing as both teams are from England, there will not be any issues.

When enough Yabos with one preference meet enough other Yabos with another preference there  will be issues - regardless of where they are from or where they meet. 

True, but then we are talking Liverpool and Hotspur supporters and not Manchurians or Chelsea supporters.

13 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I'd have had to agree with you a couple of decades ago - a time when I was embarrassed to be a Brit abroad.

But such football-related grief is comparatively rare now.

And of course the few bad apples create an unwarranted reputation for the vast majority of decent football fans.

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

I'd have had to agree with you a couple of decades ago - a time when I was embarrassed to be a Brit abroad.

But such football-related grief is comparatively rare now.

And of course the few bad apples create an unwarranted reputation for the vast majority of decent football fans.

Agreed, any team's supporters can be seen as being too raucous when their team wins or loses.

I don’t see much discussion of the game, has anyone actually played?

I played growing up and in college.  I watch to enjoy the quality of the players, I don’t understand blind loyalty to a home team.  I’m hoping for an exciting match watching Kane, Mo, Alli, Ericson, Mane, Alison etc, I hope they are all healthy and get to show off their awesome skills.  I can appreciate the passing and shots they pull off having played, its not as easy as they make it look.

I DVRd both of the Liverpool matches with Barca, all the great talent on the field!  The first match Leo put on a show, amazing that he was so off for the second match, what a comeback by Pool.  I’ll show these matches to people that don’t understand the game, very exciting to watch.

I like what Klopp has done since coming to Liverpool, he has driven the team to do its best, I like to watch their tactics with the high press and quick counters.

17 minutes ago, smithop said:

I don’t see much discussion of the game, has anyone actually played?

I played growing up and in college.  I watch to enjoy the quality of the players, I don’t understand blind loyalty to a home team.  I’m hoping for an exciting match watching Kane, Mo, Alli, Ericson, Mane, Alison etc, I hope they are all healthy and get to show off their awesome skills.  I can appreciate the passing and shots they pull off having played, its not as easy as they make it look.

I DVRd both of the Liverpool matches with Barca, all the great talent on the field!  The first match Leo put on a show, amazing that he was so off for the second match, what a comeback by Pool.  I’ll show these matches to people that don’t understand the game, very exciting to watch.

I like what Klopp has done since coming to Liverpool, he has driven the team to do its best, I like to watch their tactics with the high press and quick counters.

An exciting time for Liverpool, hopefully they can win the Champions League and continue that form into next season and get a Premiership.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

An exciting time for Liverpool, hopefully they can win the Champions League and continue that form into next season and get a Premiership.

I'm hoping they finish second again and the fact Spurs knocked out the favourites City, a first Champions of Europe title will testimony to their resilience. 

Liverpool and City will dominate the Premier again next season. I cant see anyone challenging that. But in a one off game, anything goes. The best Spurs can hope for will be 3rd, which they let slip at the death this season because they were more focused on the CL.

COYS

Edited by les37b

6 hours ago, smithop said:

I don’t understand blind loyalty to a home team.  

Are you saying no allegiance and doesn't matter who wins?

If the USA played Mexico, would you not want the US to win?

Football is very very tribal For Liverpool to win, will be Manchester United fans worst nightmare, same for Arsenal fans if Spurs win. OTOH, bragging rights for ever more over your rivals is a very big deal. I dont see why national and local support is any different and I would suggest most (but not all) UK football fans have more satisfaction and joy from their chosen club winning a major trophy than National. I would hold more joy seeing Spurs win the Champions League than England win the world cup.

1 hour ago, les37b said:

Football is very very tribal For Liverpool to win, will be Manchester United fans worst nightmare, same for Arsenal fans if Spurs win. OTOH, bragging rights for ever more over your rivals is a very big deal. I dont see why national and local support is any different and I would suggest most (but not all) UK football fans have more satisfaction and joy from their chosen club winning a major trophy than National. I would hold more joy seeing Spurs win the Champions League than England win the world cup.

I know it sounds hard to believe but that is how I feel about the game now.  Perhaps its because I live 6,000 miles from where I was born, grew up watching the Cobblers.  Back then the teams were all English, now look at all the nationalities in the EPL.  Its become a game of international personalities.  Most of the top managers aren’t even English.

Funny you mention USA v Mexico, I cant stand the US mens team, I would be rooting for Mexico.  Now, US Womens team I support, looking forward to watching them in the upcoming WC.

You’ve been waiting a long time for England to take the WC again, as long as I’ve been removed from that tribal culture.

2 minutes ago, smithop said:

You’ve been waiting a long time for England to take the WC again, as long as I’ve been removed from that tribal culture.

Well I had assumed you were from the US - hence the US v Mexico reference. And yes, clubs are obtaining players and managers from all over - and that includes owners, so I follow your logic. But it's something that never changes and imports change nothing. It's still my local club.We didn't even move when building a new stadium. And with 5 first team choices late back from the world cup because of England duty, I guess we're a bit more English than most.

OTOH - look at US NFL franchises moving about. Now that I really don't get! 

I do watch the odd game other clubs are playing, but generally very partisan. I did watch the Liverpool v Barca game,  though was the first I'd seen them in the CL all season. Spurs OTOH, the only game I missed (either attending or live on TV) was because I was on a cruise ship and the WiFi was pants.

I've friends I work with .... One hasn't missed a competetive or friendly Wimbledon AFC match since they were formed. His brother, a Brighton fan,  has missed 3 games in 15 years. Thats home and away. I would applaud that kind of loyalty, but actually think its a bit nuts! LOL

3 hours ago, les37b said:

I'm hoping they finish second again and the fact Spurs knocked out the favourites City, a first Champions of Europe title will testimony to their resilience. 

Liverpool and City will dominate the Premier again next season. I cant see anyone challenging that. But in a one off game, anything goes. The best Spurs can hope for will be 3rd, which they let slip at the death this season because they were more focused on the CL.

COYS

Good points. 

3 hours ago, les37b said:

I agree,  National pride is fine but club pride preceeds it.

1 hour ago, les37b said:

Well I had assumed you were from the US - hence the US v Mexico reference. And yes, clubs are obtaining players and managers from all over - and that includes owners, so I follow your logic. But it's something that never changes and imports change nothing. It's still my local club.We didn't even move when building a new stadium. And with 5 first team choices late back from the world cup because of England duty, I guess we're a bit more English than most.

OTOH - look at US NFL franchises moving about. Now that I really don't get! 

I do watch the odd game other clubs are playing, but generally very partisan. I did watch the Liverpool v Barca game,  though was the first I'd seen them in the CL all season. Spurs OTOH, the only game I missed (either attending or live on TV) was because I was on a cruise ship and the WiFi was pants.

I've friends I work with .... One hasn't missed a competetive or friendly Wimbledon AFC match since they were formed. His brother, a Brighton fan,  has missed 3 games in 15 years. Thats home and away. I would applaud that kind of loyalty, but actually think its a bit nuts! LOL

I have a Liverpool jersey that I bought a few years ago, and get the results every game, if it is televised I watch.