Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
MicCanberra

Liverpool vs Tottenham.

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Didn't even bother going to the pub to watch it. Saving the energy for the big match Saturday, or Sunday

Yes, I won't be going to the Pub for this one either, I can't be drinking as it is a 5am start for the Final and the kick off for my game at 9am,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Yes, I won't be going to the Pub for this one either, I can't be drinking as it is a 5am start for the Final and the kick off for my game at 9am,

Sadly from experience, beer and football don't mix.

 

One of my ships arranged a match against a college team in Florida. Held our own in the 1st half, but at half time we had a case of beer for refreshment while they had oranges. Huh!

 

Second half got cancelled with they reached double figures and we needed more beer.

 

Fortunately, the match kicks-off at Noon on the West Coast, so will enjoy lunch and a few pints of a pleasant, hoppy IPA.🍺

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember when our team had to play the Dutch Navy at a Dutch festival in Sydney, they were out for Australia's Bicentennial celebrations (1988) and it was to be an Exhibition match as the Dutch Queen was there.

We were not sure what to expect, really good players and get hammered or vica versa. Well it was a tough game and despite the tightness of the contest, we were ahead 2-0 at half time. They then proceeded to drink as many Heinekens as possible in the scheduled 15 minute break. Ten minutes into the second half ( 3 more goals and no opposition) we stopped the game, mixed the sides so that we could have some fun as well as an exhibition game. It was much more even and a hell of a lot of fun.

We were all presented medals by the then Dutch Queen and everyone had more Heineken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Sadly from experience, beer and football don't mix.

 

One of my ships arranged a match against a college team in Florida. Held our own in the 1st half, but at half time we had a case of beer for refreshment while they had oranges. Huh!

 

Second half got cancelled with they reached double figures and we needed more beer.

 

Fortunately, the match kicks-off at Noon on the West Coast, so will enjoy lunch and a few pints of a pleasant, hoppy IPA.🍺

 

A Welsh friend who lives in Normandy & played for the local rugby club arranged a weekend trip for the club to Caerphilly, with a saturday morning match against the Caerphilly team, then all off to Cardiff to watch Wales vs France in the afternoon. I rented two minibuses and met them off the ferry at Southampton on the friday morning, and we drove to Caerphilly.

 

When we arrived, they were invited to a shindig at Caerphilly rugby club on the friday evening, held in their honour. They weren't keen to attend because they wanted to be fighting fit for the morning's match, but it would have been very impolite not to attend so they decided to go along just for a couple of hours. At the shindig they were introduced to the Caerphilly players, who plied them with beer. Since the Welsh players were themselves also drinking heavily, everyone got in the spirit of the thing and a long and drunken evening was enjoyed by all.

 

Next morning the French gingerly trotted out onto the pitch, and didn't recognise a single face in the Caerphilly team - they'd been entertained the previous evening by Caerphilly's B team, when the First team were tucked up in bed..

Devious lot, the Welsh :classic_biggrin:

 

Needless to say the French were heavily beaten that morning. And the French national team were beaten in the afternoon.

Another boozy evening on the saturday night before returning to France on the sunday.

Despite the defeats they all rated the trip as one of their most-enjoyable.

 

JB :classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reported in this evening's paper, tickets passed to spurs fans for a staggering £25K

 

Madness!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, les37b said:

Reported in this evening's paper, tickets passed to spurs fans for a staggering £25K

 

Madness!

 

 

Wow, I wonder if there is anyone who would pay that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kick-off in just over an hour. Heading out to the pub shortly to claim our reserved seats, or else standing room only, Wearing a red shirt, rather than the customary Ranger's blue.😀🍺

 

Read this morning a plane load of Spurs fans had a bird strike, rendering the plane unuseable. Hope they find a spare aircraft and don't miss the match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A shame for them especially now but I am Happy and glad it is over now with a 6th Champions league title for Liverpool. I think they deserved something out of this season after being such a solid performance all season in the Premiership and this league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting 97 points in the EPL and not winning, they certainly deserved CL # 6.🙂

 

Great start to the match and brilliant result, but in my opinion Spurs played the better football. The game plan/tactics got the result, but not the best game to watch. Liverpool full backs hardly attacked and way too many long balls.

 

Great to see Milner come on as a sub, added a bit of grit to the midfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2019 at 4:19 PM, MicCanberra said:

Wow, I wonder if there is anyone who would pay that.

I wouldn't even pay 25K to watch Rangers beat ...tic.

 

With all the tickets given to sponsors, etc for CL finals, the lack of atmosphere just isn't worth it. 😞 Attended too many matches before seated stadiums with 100,000+ fans, with some real atmosphere. Just as happy watching on telly these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Getting 97 points in the EPL and not winning, they certainly deserved CL # 6.🙂

 

Great start to the match and brilliant result, but in my opinion Spurs played the better football. The game plan/tactics got the result, but not the best game to watch. Liverpool full backs hardly attacked and way too many long balls.

 

Great to see Milner come on as a sub, added a bit of grit to the midfield.

Agreed, after the Semi finals from both sides, it was always going to be hard to live up to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

I wouldn't even pay 25K to watch Rangers beat ...tic.

 

With all the tickets given to sponsors, etc for CL finals, the lack of atmosphere just isn't worth it. 😞 Attended too many matches before seated stadiums with 100,000+ fans, with some real atmosphere. Just as happy watching on telly these days.

Lucky you could get it televised. I had the laptop live streaming,.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Lucky you could get it televised. I had the laptop live streaming,.

We couldn't get the match on TV without subscribing to the DAZN streaming service. Since they only had UEFA matches, I refused to pay them $25/mo for the season just completed. Next season they have UEFA & EPL, so I'll get a subscription in August.

 

One of our local pubs has a subscription, but being live streaming it wasn't the smoothest picture. Still prefer the quality of broadcast TV, whether by sat or cable.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

We couldn't get the match on TV without subscribing to the DAZN streaming service. Since they only had UEFA matches, I refused to pay them $25/mo for the season just completed. Next season they have UEFA & EPL, so I'll get a subscription in August.

 

One of our local pubs has a subscription, but being live streaming it wasn't the smoothest picture. Still prefer the quality of broadcast TV, whether by sat or cable.

 

 

Yes, sadly I didn't want to have to drive to get to see it on  TV, with Hindsight, I think I made the right decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tend to agree, as the quality was similar to watching matches on the laptop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched it on TV, high-definition. :classic_smile:

The quality was awful. :classic_sad:

Not the picture quality, which was fine  - but the quality of the football, which was dire :classic_rolleyes:

But I don't suppose the Liverpool fans cared too much about that. :classic_wink:

 

JB :classic_smile:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Devastated. 

 

Not a result I think we deserved. To go behind from an incident after 30 seconds where a player deliberately kicks at a player's outstretched arm (and only hit cos it bounced of his chest) is a bitter pill. It did hit his arm.... But just look where that "pass" was heading..... 

 

And in the reverse of last season, the keeper saved you.

 

Football victories are often marginal and luck plays a huge part... Often too much.

 

Without wishing to sound bitter... Congrats to the European Champions..... But I can't help thinking we deserved better. That said, teams both clubs knocked out will be saying the same thing. 

 

Not sure missing out on the PL qualified as a reason Liverpool deserve this cup, but there ya go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, les37b said:

Devastated. 

 

Not a result I think we deserved. To go behind from an incident after 30 seconds where a player deliberately kicks at a player's outstretched arm (and only hit cos it bounced of his chest) is a bitter pill. It did hit his arm.... But just look where that "pass" was heading..... 

 

And in the reverse of last season, the keeper saved you.

 

Football victories are often marginal and luck plays a huge part... Often too much.

 

Without wishing to sound bitter... Congrats to the European Champions..... But I can't help thinking we deserved better. That said, teams both clubs knocked out will be saying the same thing. 

 

Not sure missing out on the PL qualified as a reason Liverpool deserve this cup, but there ya go!

I feel your pain (experience from previous seasons). 

Needless to say, Tottenham have the foundation and now the hunger to do better next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 3:50 AM, Victor23w1 said:

liverpool is the best

Welcome to cruise critic, I have to agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are Spurs still at White Hart Lane? Saw them there as a kid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Are Spurs still at White Hart Lane? Saw them there as a kid.

 

That ground has been demolished, but the new stadium is at the same location and dwarfs the old ground. Costing in excess of £1Bn it is the best stadium in the UK. Only United can boast more seating and no club can boast better facilities which will catapult the club into a new level.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 4:02 PM, les37b said:

 

That ground has been demolished, but the new stadium is at the same location and dwarfs the old ground. Costing in excess of £1Bn it is the best stadium in the UK. Only United can boast more seating and no club can boast better facilities which will catapult the club into a new level.

 

 

They cam close this year, hope they can do better next year but not to the expense of Liverpool's premiership and championship double.😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2019 at 7:03 PM, MicCanberra said:

Lucky you could get it televised. I had the laptop live streaming,.

Mic - I have researched numerous options to get the football & other UK programs. I am currently in the process of checking out Gold IPTV & Blue Sky IPTV. Virtually similar programming, with Sky Sports & BT Sports. As we have a Smart TV, I can load Blue Sky directly without any hardware or VPN.

 

Might be worth checking if it is available in Australia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...