Do you have a cruise line that you will never sail again?

George C

Not a line but if it is just the two of us we will never sail on a ship more than 1500 passengers again. I do go on family vacations with up to 50 relatives and then I do go on large ships - the kids love all of the waterslides and amusements. The hubby won't go though but I don't think it is the ship size.😉

20 hours ago, capriccio said:

But not everyone can do that for any extended length of time!  If I had to exist on 4 hours of sleep for any period of time greater than 24 hours I would be a wreck.

Next year I will be in my 9th decade of life,I suffer from many illnesses and have the need to do as much as possible. I do not advocate 4 hours of sleep for anyone other than myself.

12 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Next year I will be in my 9th decade of life,I suffer from many illnesses and have the need to do as much as possible. I do not advocate 4 hours of sleep for anyone other than myself.

It seems like you embrace the philosophy of the song by the late Warren Zevon---I'll Sleep When I Die.

15 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

When we were recently on a longer Princess cruise, there was a group of passengers who would hang-out at the International Café (IC) ...which is open 24/7.  At 5am there would only be a few at the IC and we were all "Seniors."  One irony in the cruise industry is that HAL, which probably has the oldest clientele in the industry (especially on longer cruises) does not have a venue akin to the IC.  Like you, I do quite well on 4-5 hours sleep a night although that has been the case since my 50s.

Hank

17 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

When we were recently on a longer Princess cruise, there was a group of passengers who would hang-out at the International Café (IC) ...which is open 24/7.  At 5am there would only be a few at the IC and we were all "Seniors."  One irony in the cruise industry is that HAL, which probably has the oldest clientele in the industry (especially on longer cruises) does not have a venue akin to the IC.  Like you, I do quite well on 4-5 hours sleep a night although that has been the case since my 50s.

Hank

I'm in the same boat. Happened as I grew in age.  Even though I wouldn't mind sleeping in, after 5 or 6 hours it seems I'm fully charged.  

I generally sleep 5 or 6 hours a night - can’t stay asleep longer than that - but that is in addition to a 30 minute to one hour nap sometime during the day.  Typically on a sea day I’m up at about 6:00-7:00 - get my nap in any time between noon and 5:00 PM - then go to sleep any time from midnight to 2:00 AM, depending on what’s going on.

This is plenty of sleep for low energy cruising - if there is a port day with a lot of walking or active beach time, I’ll need another hour or two sleep next night/day.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

I generally sleep 5 or 6 hours a night - can’t stay asleep longer than that - but that is in addition to a 30 minute to one hour nap sometime during the day.  Typically on a sea day I’m up at about 6:00-7:00 - get my nap in any time between noon and 5:00 PM - then go to sleep any time from midnight to 2:00 AM, depending on what’s going on.

This is plenty of sleep for low energy cruising - if there is a port day with a lot of walking or active beach time, I’ll need another hour or two sleep next night/day.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

I wish I was healthy enough to enjoy a beach. The last time was in 1973 in Bermuda.

Carnival!

We’re getting ready to do a HAL cruise, first time with them and I’m sort of worried we won’t enjoy it, we’re not teenagers but certainly not the go to bed after dinner bunch either.  We chose it for the itinerary so hopefully we’ll be busy enough and ready to settle down early.  

7 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Renaissance Cruise...our favorite cruise to Tahiti...sadly, it also went bankrupt. (We believe the beautiful R4 ship is now being used by Azamara.)

For an interesting article on 'where are they now?' about the Renaissance fleet see https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/what-ever-happened-to-former-renaissance-cruises-r-ships.html. Princess had 3 of the R ships (R3, R4 and R8) but only one remains in the fleet - and we are eagerly awaiting a Tahitian cruise on her (the Pacific Princess - R3) in October 2020.

55 minutes ago, capriccio said:

For an interesting article on 'where are they now?' about the Renaissance fleet see https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/what-ever-happened-to-former-renaissance-cruises-r-ships.html. Princess had 3 of the R ships (R3, R4 and R8) but only one remains in the fleet - and we are eagerly awaiting a Tahitian cruise on her (the Pacific Princess - R3) in October 2020.

And by far my favourite ships, maybe because our first cruise was on Pacific Princess, how I wish there were more like that. These mega ships are a turn off for us.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, capriccio said:

capriccio...thank you so much for the link!  Now you got us thinking about sailing back to Tahiti!

Happy Sailing on your October 2020 Tahitian cruise!

Carnival. Never ever. Even if it were free. Around 2004 we booked a cruise with our two kids (minors). Balcony for us, interior room directly across for the kids. The rooms were booked as specific cabins, not a guarantee where you don’t get to select your cabin. When we were checking in, we found out they had given our cabin to someone else. We weren’t late checking in or anything like that. We saw the other couple. A long drawn out argument ensued. Carnival wouldn’t budge and told us our only option was to leave the ship and they would refund. I wish we had taken that option, but I looked at my kids’ puppy dog eyes and trembling lips and I felt like I had promised them a vacation and I had to give them one. The entire cruise was awful. The kids were young enough that I didn’t feel comfortable not having them directly across the hall from us. The balcony room was close to an elevator and super noisy. There was nothing good about the cruise. And I also felt that race played a factor in How the whole situation played out (we are African American) even though I can’t prove it. So nope, never ever.

• Thanks 1

Never say never, but I have bias against:

1. Carnival (Poor maintenance, Customer service, Gross buffet, worn out mattresses)

2.  Celebrity (Recent downgrade of food, exterior maintenance, out of touch directions)

3.  MSC (Never sailed, but recently booked during controversy, they weren't honoring Fantastica perks, so canceled)

4.  NCL (Never Sailed, though would do Pride of America or a repo to/from Hawaii to see Kauai)