CPAP related questions

I can’t find answers on the RCI website and the travel agent is very responsive to questions so any help would be appreciated.  My husband uses a CPAP machine; when we cruised on a Princess in December (first cruise) our stateroom attendant provided us with an extension cord and offered distilled water for the machine.   In July we are on the Ovation out of Seattle so will be flying in So won’t be carrying distilled water.  I would like to know if we can make arrangements for an extension cord and distilled water.  I can’t find a place to request it on the cruise planner.   Although after watching some you tube videos and looking at pictures online of an Oceanview stateroom I think there may be an outlet beside the bed negating the need for an extension cord.    Thanks for any insight! 

12 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Contact special_needs@rccl.com and they will arrange the extension cord and distilled water.

I did read on another thread that contacting them through that email was extremely hit or miss, and people were often forced to ask again after they were on the ship. 

on our last trip, I was able to ask the room attendant for a cord and water, he just left it in my room when we were walking around the ship, but as others have said, you can request it ahead of time too

The official procedure is to contact Special Needs.  They will send you an automated response and theoretically inform the ship.  The cabin steward will then be instructed to furnish you with extension cord and distilled water.  In actuality it appears that it's only 50/50 that what you requested will be waiting for you in your cabin.  No problem though.  Just ask cabin steward and he/she will make things right.

5 hours ago, pivibird said:

I can’t find answers on the RCI website and the travel agent is very responsive to questions so any help would be appreciated.  My husband uses a CPAP machine; when we cruised on a Princess in December (first cruise) our stateroom attendant provided us with an extension cord and offered distilled water for the machine.   In July we are on the Ovation out of Seattle so will be flying in So won’t be carrying distilled water.  I would like to know if we can make arrangements for an extension cord and distilled water.  I can’t find a place to request it on the cruise planner.   Although after watching some you tube videos and looking at pictures online of an Oceanview stateroom I think there may be an outlet beside the bed negating the need for an extension cord.    Thanks for any insight! 

You can request from your room steward when you embark. 

I always contact the special needs desk in advance. I have never received the cord or water without asking. The message (which I see on my reservation) is never seen or maybe not honored by the personnel on the ship. 

6 hours ago, ibonexheadi said:

I did read on another thread that contacting them through that email was extremely hit or miss, and people were often forced to ask again after they were on the ship. 

I think "forced to ask again" is a harsh way to word it.  It would be one thing if they had to go to Guest Services ten times to get what they need, but in this case, simply asking the cabin steward (or leaving a note on the bed if you don't see the steward) for distilled water and an extension cord is hardly a harsh hardship.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ibonexheadi said:

The cord or water may not be in your cabin, when you arrive.  A friendly reminder to your room steward, and it will quickly be rectified.   On our trip 2 months ago (B2B) we received 2 gallons of water AND two cords late the first evening of departure.   The steward told us he had the notification from corporate for the need.

We did have to gently reminded our steward of the need for CPAP water, as he was slightly overwhelmed.  He was on his first day of being suddenly promoted to guest cabins(from crew cabins) owing to our original steward being asked to leave that afternoon.  

Edited by Valiamo

41 minutes ago, Medic5emt said:

I have never had an issue getting a cord or Distilled water. As one of the other post indicated. RCCL has a special needs request link to request both. Enjoy your trip.

Same here never a problem on RCI, However MSC a different story always a problem.

We  had a problem getting distilled water on an RCI southern Caribbean cruise.  We had requested it through special needs, had a printout of the email receipt as a back up.  Our steward told us that too many people onboard requested it without contacting special needs first and the inventory ran out.  We got vials of distilled from medical which was pretty funny since DH goes thru a gallon a week.  We searched Bonaire and Grenada, finally buying a quart type sized bottle from a pharmacist.   So, it does matter that you reserve through special needs.   I know, there are those out there that don't use distilled and use tap water instead.  DH just isn't one of those people.  

RCI did pick up a skid of distilled water in Curacao but that was like our 5th day.

Im on a CPAP and if its an issue with shortage of distilled water, I will use bottled water.  No big deal.  I hope the extension cords dont run out though.  I had not planned on bringing one but maybe I should.  

7 minutes ago, CruiseKeeper said:

We  had a problem getting distilled water on an RCI southern Caribbean cruise.  We had requested it through special needs, had a printout of the email receipt as a back up.  Our steward told us that too many people onboard requested it without contacting special needs first and the inventory ran out.  We got vials of distilled from medical which was pretty funny since DH goes thru a gallon a week.  We searched Bonaire and Grenada, finally buying a quart type sized bottle from a pharmacist.   So, it does matter that you reserve through special needs.   I know, there are those out there that don't use distilled and use tap water instead.  DH just isn't one of those people.  

RCI did pick up a skid of distilled water in Curacao but that was like our 5th day.

Next time try looking in the laundry area for demineralized water as it is used in steam irons.

Edited by FLACRUISER99

7 minutes ago, ryano said:

Im on a CPAP and if its an issue with shortage of distilled water, I will use bottled water.  No big deal.  I hope the extension cords dont run out though.  I had not planned on bringing one but maybe I should.  

If you bring one, they will confiscate it at security.

21 hours ago, pivibird said:

You can fill out the form online here https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do

in the bringing equipment section

image.png.a3dd51953d5dcb573dd36e7b05b16ed3.png

image.png.9cb55d3ab1a81d06b0748a95dc056978.png

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BaumD said:

If you bring one, they will confiscate it at security.

Never heard that before.  Not doubting you though because now I see them on the prohibited list.  I knew they dont allow surge protectors.      Ive already notified special needs so Im on a hope and a prayer that they will have what I need.  I will be one miserable person without my CPAP for 7 nights

Edited by ryano

5 minutes ago, ryano said:

Never heard that before.  Not doubting you though because now I see them on the prohibited list.  I knew they dont allow surge protectors.      Ive already notified special needs so Im on a hope and a prayer that they will have what I need.  I will be one miserable person without my CPAP for 7 nights

Some ships have an outlet near the headboard so you don't need the extension cord. My machine has about 12' of cord (6' to the transformer and 6' to the machine)  so worse case I string it across the room. As noted elsewhere bottled water will work in a pinch. You just need to clean the tub.

4 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Some ships have an outlet near the headboard so you don't need the extension cord. My machine has about 12' of cord (6' to the transformer and 6' to the machine)  so worse case I string it across the room. As noted elsewhere bottled water will work in a pinch. You just need to clean the tub.

Thanks for the info!  Im on Harmony on deck 10 in a oceanview balcony.  Any idea about that ship?  I do have about the same amount of cord as well.  

Edited by ryano

8 minutes ago, ryano said:

Thanks for the info!  Im on Harmony on deck 10 in a oceanview balcony.  Any idea about that ship?  I do have about the same amount of cord as well.  

Looks like there are outlets near the headboard

image.thumb.png.8ac72c1694e2b8fbce3fe4872be77456.png

8 minutes ago, ryano said:

All Oasis class have an outlet under the bed.