Fins Required? Snorkeling Questions...

We are a family of six and plan to do basic "skim across the top" snorkeling with maybe a little dive down as well.  Would we "need" to purchase fins or would we not really need them?  We are strong swimmers.

I am purchasing instead of renting and only want to buy what we need.

Its a safety issue.  If there is any current at all, you can drift away from shore or away from safety into coral or other obstacles.  Fins are a huge boost in swimming, whether you are a great swimmer or not.  They propel you with very little effort.

I am purchasing instead of renting and only want to buy what we need.

I understand why people want to buy rather than rent ... shared snorkels and all that, not to mention the importance of FIT .... and packing a mask takes a fraction of the space FINS do ....

but to snorkel without fins?  Well, have you ever seen a picture of a SCUBA diver without fins???? You say you are strong swimmers .... think you could keep up with someone in cheap fins? or cover the same distance? Unless you find a snork' spot where you can jump in and assume a face down position and just watch for the duration of your stay ... you're gonna wish you had fins!

compromise ..... buy mask and snork' and rent or borrow fins ..... yes this CAN be done! I do it all the time ... pack my mask and snork' and use the provided fins.

If you are buying cheap 'sets' that include fins, leave 'em home .... that's the same quality fin most snorkel excursions that 'provide equipment' are gonna give you.  Still worried about loaners ... buy some swim socks, they take up little packing space.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2019 at 5:52 PM, mac66 said:

Thank you! I've been looking for fins like this that are shorter. After a knee injury (and arthroscopic surgery) I was advised to not wear fins until my knee was stronger, but my long fins feel too unstable. I have been snorkeling without fins for about a year. Its doable, but I only snorkeled where I've been before, or if going off a boat tour, I stayed close to the guide in the water. These look like they will do the trick!

Or if you're looking for full footed short fins there are these. Bought them two years ago and have used them several times and they work marvelously. You can buy them in a child's version too.

https://www.leisurepro.com/p-csbflebl8/cressi-light-short-swim-full-foot-fins-85-95-blue?gclid=Cj0KCQjwla7nBRDxARIsADll0kATdnbep0KvX1hLm0Q9mh7he0hT0NhfVO94PD5iVvD4muPe5YTk5agaAihxEALw_wcB

On 5/26/2019 at 10:18 AM, CaliforniaAC said:

Thank you! I've been looking for fins like this that are shorter. After a knee injury (and arthroscopic surgery) I was advised to not wear fins until my knee was stronger, but my long fins feel too unstable. I have been snorkeling without fins for about a year. Its doable, but I only snorkeled where I've been before, or if going off a boat tour, I stayed close to the guide in the water. These look like they will do the trick!

My wife and I picked up a couple pair after seeing them while snorkeling in Cozumel. The shore line was very rough and we noticed people with these wearing booties/water socks/shoes to get out into the water before slipping these on. Had an  AH HA!  moment. Been using ours for two years.

Think we bought them off of Amazon.

Edited by mac66

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2019 at 8:52 PM, mac66 said:

We have the same fins and have been using them for the last 9 years. They are smaller and fit in the luggage better and work well. We are avid snorkelers and swim well but I find it to be an entirely different story when out in the ocean. I just feel more comfortable with fins and expend less energy than you would have to without them. You never know what situation you might get in to.

• Like 1