Currency in Poland

7 minutes ago, quailtraveler said:

Does anyone know if you can use Seuros in Poland or if you need. The local Polish currency 

Do you mean euros? Some vendors will accept euros (usually in the tourist areas) but you really should have the local currency (zloty) if you plan on spending any time in Poland (other than a quick tour of Gdansk from a cruise ship - for this you would probably get by with euros). We used our credit cards for most purchases, meals & hotels in Warsaw & Krakow - we got local currency from the ATM. When we visited Gdansk via cruise, we got by with euros and our plastic.

on arrival in Budapest by air, I got local $$ from ATM b4 our bags were in hand having heard euro was not taken

while I had no problem getting and using E ... seems everyplace we went prices were listed in both E and local .....

sometimes the exchange rate wasn't great but I had an up to date conversion app on my phone and it was never a terrible rate . .

we spent 5 days in Budapest at front of a Danube cruise. 

• 1 month later...

Poland money advice:

Be sure to carry small denomination bills in Poland.  We had problems several times where shops and restaurants didn't want to make change even for what I considered a reasonable size zloty note for the purchase.  Example: purchase was about 9 zloty and all I had was a 20 zloty from the ATM.  They said they wouldn't make change for that! I left without my items and they lost a sale.   Another time we had 8 people for dinner in a large and full restaurant where the total bill was around 375 zloty and they wouldn't take a 500 note from the host.  We had to have everyone chip in their small zloty to pay the bill.

~Nancy

How easy is it to use card payment in Poland.  We are considering a ship's tour (Road to Freedom), but I tend to be looking for toilets regularly and have been stuck without the correct small currency in other countries in the past (Norway and Greece).  Can you use card to pay for toilets now in Poland?

Edited by tring

Sorry, I don't know about the toilet question, but I was surprised that none of the taxis at the Wroclaw train station wouldn't take a card.  I had to walk to an ATM to get cash.  Other taxis at the airport and around town did take a card.  Just be prepared!

• Thanks 1

On 5/10/2019 at 11:03 PM, Danish viking said:

Budapest, as in the famous polish city 🙂

LOL, just as I was thinking.

• Like 1