Questions on Le Champlain

Mudhen

Considering Iceland in Aug. Would be traveling with my grown daughter. All of the photos I've seen show a queen(king?) size bed.

Can we have that done up as two twins?

Also I have no idea of how shore excursions are handled. Are any included? All for purchase? I so, how can I find what might be offered?

Looks like a lovely ship!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Just off Le Champlain in Reykjavik after a three-day from Bergen, Norway.

Cabins can be made up as two singles or as a king. We had a king.

Regards excusions, on the web site you should see some navigation tabs near the bottom of the page of the cruise you are interested in. If you click on itinerary, it will give a day-to-day list of ports etc and then there will be a short line saying: See available excursions. This are listed with prices (in Euros)

See here for an example for the Iceland loop.

https://en.ponant.com/cruises/the-arctic-the-icelandic-loop-c080819-2#Port%20of%20call%20&%20excursions

Final tip: Iceland is expensive! The port is a little outside Reykjavik - but there was a free shuttle provided to the city centre. Taxi to the airport was something like 250 USD! Free bus to city centre and then the Gray Line airport bus will cost, I think about 35 USD each.

1 hour ago, flygod said:

Hi,

Just off Le Champlain in Reykjavik after a three-day from Bergen, Norway.

Thanks for the info. BTW, how was the sea conditions? I've never sailed on a ship this small. 

Jim

For me, sea conditions fine!

(But then I like a bit of motion in the ocean!)

To be accurate, the second day there were sickbags placed along all the handrails. Just in case.

And it was fun dancing - as people swerved from one side of the dance floor to the other.

However we did have one evening show cancelled due to the conditions. Not that that was a great loss - I'd rate the dancers as "enthusiastic amateurs". But they were still fun.

There still seemed to be most passengers at lunch and dinner - few, if any, hiding in their cabins.

But not as bad as my first cruise on the QE2 Cunarder in 1977 when thousands of dishes clattered to the floor during dinner mid-Atlantic!

We travelled quite fast later in the first day and throughout the second to get around the bottom of a low pressure to the north of us. So we had a very slow third day into Reykjavik - with a bonus sightseeing cruise around the southern islands - and still arrived in port about two hours ahead of schedule.

So the crew do their best to give you the smoothest ride.

On 6/3/2019 at 12:53 AM, flygod said:

For me, sea conditions fine!

(But then I like a bit of motion in the ocean!)

On 6/3/2019 at 12:53 AM, flygod said:

So the crew do their best to give you the smoothest ride.

Thanks. Good to hear.

Jim