Visiting State Liberty Park

Woodmnky

We are going to be driving up 78 from NC/VA the day before our Anthem of the Seas cruise sails. We are staying at the Country Inn & Suites in Elizabeth, NJ. From where were are staying the night before we get to NJ we will have about a 5 hour drive to the NJ area. We would like to visit Liberty State Park (not the statue, just the park itself). Is there anything that I should know about timing on a Wednesday as far as driving goes getting to/from the park and/or back to the Country Inn & Suites? I don't know if traffic really starts picking up at any particular time and we should make sure and be back to our hotel by a certain time, ect. Any advice that you can give would be appreciated as I would like to make this as stress free as possible. We are definitely not used to driving in a large area and even avoid NC's large cities during heavy traffic times. 

Also, if we want to be to the port early(10:00 or earlier) what time should we leave the Country Inn & Suites. Our cruise departs on May 21st if that makes a difference based on anything local going on. 

Thank you. 

59 minutes ago, Woodmnky said:

We are going to be driving up 78 from NC/VA the day before our Anthem of the Seas cruise sails. We are staying at the Country Inn & Suites in Elizabeth, NJ. From where were are staying the night before we get to NJ we will have about a 5 hour drive to the NJ area. We would like to visit Liberty State Park (not the statue, just the park itself). Is there anything that I should know about timing on a Wednesday as far as driving goes getting to/from the park and/or back to the Country Inn & Suites? I don't know if traffic really starts picking up at any particular time and we should make sure and be back to our hotel by a certain time, ect. Any advice that you can give would be appreciated as I would like to make this as stress free as possible. We are definitely not used to driving in a large area and even avoid NC's large cities during heavy traffic times. 

Also, if we want to be to the port early(10:00 or earlier) what time should we leave the Country Inn & Suites. Our cruise departs on May 21st if that makes a difference based on anything local going on. 

Thank you. 

You just come in I78 and follow the signs to the Holland Tunnel.  In Newark I78 becomes the NJ Turnpike and you will get a toll ticket.  You get off at exit 14B and follow the signs to Liberty State Park.  You can listen to 880 or 1010 AM to see if there are any traffic issues. Coming back you get get on Turnpike Exit 14B and go back to Newark where you follow the signs to the Turnpike South.  Go one exit to exit 13A, which is for Country Inns.

There is no way to predict how the traffic will be.  Typically the turnpike traffic moves unless there is a big accident.  The main turnpike section (exit 14 to 13A) has 6 lanes in 2 sections - 3 cars only lanes and 3 cars and trucks lanes.  If one set of lanes has a problem, the other set can be unaffected.  That’s why it’s important to monitor the traffic reports and/or use Waze.

If you feel uncomfortable driving, just get in the right lane and leave good space between you and the next car. 

• Like 1