Cruise Critic Community
Host Bonjour

Transfer: Southampton—London (incl. LHR/LGW) train, car, other?

Posted (edited)

One of the most popular questions on this board, and it makes sense especially for folks taking their first cruise calling at Southampton, is how to either get to or from port upon arrival after the cruise or at the start of their journey. The planes don't land nearby so it's a fair question but since it gets asked so often, I've noticed then that other topics, might get lost or overlooked among the important transit info requests which our incredible community are always here assist with.

Is My Question Already Answered Here?

Maybe! Since there can be a variety of different situations, but then, maybe not too many far out different ones, the transit information you require - other than exact dates/times - might just be found within these posts and links. Which train, how to get tickets; how to get a private car, what does it cost etc; what other options exist if I want neither of those things? 

Why Look Here?

They're not pros, but they know. I reached out to our community here not long ago and some of our tried and true, seasoned contributors were 'on board' (sorry about the pun!) with the idea and so here we go with a trial. On other boards, I am seeing 'themed' topic posts do well when they stay focused and on point, so hopefully that might be the case here. I am going to get one going separately for airport transit.

My hope is that with individuating the transport major topics - other ports obviously have different transit requirements and no one is required to post here to get a transit question answered - that topics on specific items like sightseeing, food, culture, weather, accommodations, itinerary ideas.....these topics will get more visibility and replies.

The number one key to getting replies is providing clues to what you need in your post subject title but otherwise, I see a lot of posts get lost amongst so many 'How to get from....' posts that I can understand why certain topics might inadvertently get overlooked.

Hopefully this might get an abundance of information to as many cruisers as possible in the usual Western Europe/British Isles Cruise Critic community in the usual brilliant style, but even more brilliant.

Oh yes....I said it. More brilliant. 😄

https://tenor.com/view/penguin-working-hat-suitcase-cute-gif-3478076

Let's have a go, shall we?

Thanks everyone, as always, we appreciate you so much!!!

(Below I've collected some recent transit topics to get this kick started...original posts and replies in tact of course. Enough of me. Now add in your transit queries, comments and thoughts!)

Edited by Host Bonjour

We used Woodford Chauffeur Cars.  We booked this service well ahead of our trip for a group of 6 adults. My contact was with Cheryl via email and she was wonderful to work with. She was very responsive and worked with us to meet our needs. Alan picked us up at Heathrow promptly in a van, with a tow-behind trailer to accommodate our luggage. We had wanted to see the New Forest area before arriving at our hotel in Southampton so he drove us around, stopping at various spots along the way, always waiting very patiently for us and further recommending other places to visit. At the end of the day, he dropped us off at our hotel and assisted us with our luggage.

We had also pre-booked our post-cruise needs with them. We are from the USA and didn't care to drive around England and deal with driving on the other side of the street, and dealing with traffic. Alan picked us up again in a very timely manner at the port, assisting us with our luggage (this time he had a larger van, that could accommodate all of our luggage, so he didn't need a tow-behind trailer). He drove us to Bath and the Costswolds for the next two days, and then back to Heathrow on the third day. We just loved Alan as he was very efficient, professional, informative and entertaining. The vehicle was spotless, comfortable and even had water. We were able to enjoy the drive and the beautiful countryside with Alan answering all our questions. We had a wonderful time with Alan and Woodford Chauffeur Cars. I highly recommend their service!

Very reasonable too!

@Host Bonjour As was feared might happen when you proposed creating this very helpful sticky, it seems that some folks are overlooking the sticky and still starting new threads to ask about transfers between Southampton and London and vice versa.   Do you want to move them into this thread, or should people who have relevant knowledge reply in those new threads?   Thanks for the guidance!

On 6/3/2019 at 2:51 PM, Chili Queen said:

We used Woodford Chauffeur Cars.  We booked this service well ahead of our trip for a group of 6 adults. My contact was with Cheryl via email and she was wonderful to work with. She was very responsive and worked with us to meet our needs. Alan picked us up at Heathrow promptly in a van, with a tow-behind trailer to accommodate our luggage. We had wanted to see the New Forest area before arriving at our hotel in Southampton so he drove us around, stopping at various spots along the way, always waiting very patiently for us and further recommending other places to visit. At the end of the day, he dropped us off at our hotel and assisted us with our luggage.

We had also pre-booked our post-cruise needs with them. We are from the USA and didn't care to drive around England and deal with driving on the other side of the street, and dealing with traffic. Alan picked us up again in a very timely manner at the port, assisting us with our luggage (this time he had a larger van, that could accommodate all of our luggage, so he didn't need a tow-behind trailer). He drove us to Bath and the Costswolds for the next two days, and then back to Heathrow on the third day. We just loved Alan as he was very efficient, professional, informative and entertaining. The vehicle was spotless, comfortable and even had water. We were able to enjoy the drive and the beautiful countryside with Alan answering all our questions. We had a wonderful time with Alan and Woodford Chauffeur Cars. I highly recommend their service!

Very reasonable too!

Do you mind telling us approximate costs for these?  We are very interested!

I hope I'm putting this in the right spot, as opposed to starting a new thread.

We have booked three trips with Blackberry Cars to take us from LHR to our hotel near Victoria Station,  from our hotel to Southampton, then from our hotel back to LHR post cruise.  I've paid for the service online, but what should I tip the driver?  I read to "round-up," but being pre-paid there is no rounding.  We'll have two suitcases. 

Thanks!

On 6/19/2019 at 1:46 PM, aheape1979 said:

Do you mind telling us approximate costs for these?  We are very interested!

Hello,  Woodford Cruise Connections was very reasonable, especially since there were 6 adults so we split the cost amongst the 3 couples.  It was so much better than us having to rent a car, drive on the "wrong side" of the road, and deal with traffic and directions.  The cost for the pick up from the airport to Southampton was 160 pounds, plus 40 pounds per hour for touring.  They were more than reasonable when our driver calculated how much we owed him at the end of the day with how many hours they would charge for our "touring". We were picked up at 7 AM, and were dropped off at about 5 PM, and I think the charge was around 280 pounds, plus gratuity. 

Post-cruise we paid 945 pounds for pick up at the port, driving us around for 2 days, and then on the 3rd day, delivering us to Heathrow.  We received a discount for booking early (and received 2018 rates) and also received a discount for allowing our driver to stay with us (we had booked an airbnb that accommodated 7 people, so it was a perfect place for all of us to stay).  A suggested tip of 15 % is recommended, but I think we did more like 20% just because it worked so well for us, and Alan was just so personable and wonderful.  Feel free to email them Cheryl and I am sure she will work with you.  They were wonderful to deal with.  Good luck!  Diane

The International Friends tour from London, to Stonehenge to Southampton Cruise Port is exactly what we are looking for to get from London to Southampton, except they do not offer this tour on June 30, 2020, the day before we sail.

We would like to stay in Southampton the night before embarking on our cruise on July 1, 2020. Does anyone know of any other tours that run any day (not necessarily the day a cruise departs) from London, to Stonehenge, to Southampton Cruise Port?

Thank you!

Can  anyone who has taken International Friends with a stop at Stonehenge personally  recommend it or say don't take it and why. Trying to decide to  take International Friends or just take National Express to Southampton

, it will be on a Sunday in August. 

I hope I'm posting this correctly as I've read all the threads and done a search on the rest of the forum and not found the answer I was looking for.  We are staying for 3 nights in London in a flat at Saint George Wharf Anchor House, which I believe is very close to the Vauxhall underground station (right across the street in fact, according to the description).  We'd like an easy option for transfer from our flat to Southampton that won't break the bank, yet is simple for folks who are new to the city and public transport in general.  We don't mind a bus or train, just don't want a lot of changes within the journey.  We're travelling with my 80 year old mother and while we can certainly maneuver our suitcases to some extent, less schlepping of luggage is better. We've gotten a quote from Smiths for Airports of £150 and that would clearly be the easiest transport option, but is there any chance there's a bus or train option that is equally easy from our flat?  Any chance a bus or train leaves from Vauxhall station and goes direct (no switching or buses or trains)?  I've looked on both the train station website (quite hard to decipher) and the National Express site and if the answer is there, I'm missing it.

On 7/16/2019 at 9:36 PM, windango said:

I hope I'm posting this correctly as I've read all the threads and done a search on the rest of the forum and not found the answer I was looking for.  We are staying for 3 nights in London in a flat at Saint George Wharf Anchor House, which I believe is very close to the Vauxhall underground station (right across the street in fact, according to the description).  We'd like an easy option for transfer from our flat to Southampton that won't break the bank, yet is simple for folks who are new to the city and public transport in general.  We don't mind a bus or train, just don't want a lot of changes within the journey.  We're travelling with my 80 year old mother and while we can certainly maneuver our suitcases to some extent, less schlepping of luggage is better. We've gotten a quote from Smiths for Airports of £150 and that would clearly be the easiest transport option, but is there any chance there's a bus or train option that is equally easy from our flat?  Any chance a bus or train leaves from Vauxhall station and goes direct (no switching or buses or trains)?  I've looked on both the train station website (quite hard to decipher) and the National Express site and if the answer is there, I'm missing it.

Well, the train from Waterloo to Southampton passes through Vauxhall, but unfortunately doesn't stop there, so you'll have to take a train up from Vauxhall to Waterloo first. The good news is that the transfer will be level, and pretty easy. And the savings certainly make it worth it: pricing out a random weekday in September, I'm seeing fares at £8/person (checking on the National Rail website).

Thanks for the input!  I was pretty sure it couldn't be that simple, but it never hurts to ask!!

I have decided to take the train from the Waterloo Station to Southampton. Will be going on September 15th at 8:25 getting into Southampton at 10:34. Everything was going good until the point of getting the ticket. I'd assumed that I would be able to just purchase the ticket with a credit card, but could not figure out how to do that. I got to a spot where it said you could pick up your  ticket at the station. Looked at the list of places to do that and did not find Waterloo listed. I need some help, please 😏

On 7/18/2019 at 6:00 AM, Twickenham said:

Well, the train from Waterloo to Southampton passes through Vauxhall, but unfortunately doesn't stop there, so you'll have to take a train up from Vauxhall to Waterloo first. The good news is that the transfer will be level, and pretty easy. And the savings certainly make it worth it: pricing out a random weekday in September, I'm seeing fares at £8/person (checking on the National Rail website).

As a former Vauxhall resident, I’d tend to agree with this advice. But be aware if you are pricing tickets from Vauxhall to Southampton, the permitted change is likely to be at Clapham Junction, not Waterloo. Clapham Junction is in the direction of travel to Southampton, only 4 or 5 minutes from Vauxhall by very frequent trains. 

The transfer at Waterloo is easier (and flat as you say), and as it is a terminus there will be more time to find the Southampton train and get settled. It may be best to buy a ticket to Waterloo from Vauxhall (which will be quite cheap) and a separate Advance ticket to Southampton. There are trains calling at Vauxhall every few minutes to Waterloo and again it’s only a 4 minute journey. 

2 hours ago, chk-gnt said:

I got to a spot where it said you could pick up your  ticket at the station. Looked at the list of places to do that and did not find Waterloo listed. I need some help, please 

It would help to know which website you are referring to! 

The most obvious error might be that you were looking for ‘Waterloo’, when the station you mean is ‘London Waterloo’ - some sites can be pretty sensitive to that.