Cruise Critic Community
Host Bonjour

Transfer: Southampton—London (incl. LHR/LGW) train, car, other?

Thanks for answering me, I should have added my question to my 1st post. I was on the National Rail Site and was leaving from the London Waterloo station.

1 hour ago, chk-gnt said:

Thanks for answering me, I should have added my question to my 1st post. I was on the National Rail Site and was leaving from the London Waterloo station.

You can't actually book tickets on the National Rail site - it redirects you to the appropriate Train Operating Company, in this case, South Western. I just went through for your exact date and London Waterloo defaulted in the pickup selection box - what are you seeing?

1093930521_Screenshot2019-07-2108_52_00.thumb.png.323730b74d448471a1e8fe0b72806d76.png

3 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

You can't actually book tickets on the National Rail site - it redirects you to the appropriate Train Operating Company, in this case, South Western. I just went through for your exact date and London Waterloo defaulted in the pickup selection box - what are you seeing?

1093930521_Screenshot2019-07-2108_52_00.thumb.png.323730b74d448471a1e8fe0b72806d76.png

I think the poster would like to have an actual ticket in hand, and not have to collect it at a station.

9 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I think the poster would like to have an actual ticket in hand, and not have to collect it at a station.

Thank-you for the help. I finally got everything for my ticket figured out, booked and paid for. I'll be picking up my ticket at the London Waterloo station. Now to get a way from Heathrow  to my hotel 😉

On 7/21/2019 at 4:59 PM, chk-gnt said:

Thank-you for the help. I finally got everything for my ticket figured out, booked and paid for. I'll be picking up my ticket at the London Waterloo station. Now to get a way from Heathrow  to my hotel 😉

Are you looking for a car service? Blackberry Cars is one of the London-based car services that is recommended here. We’ve used them and I would use them again. 

We're taking National Express from Southampton to London after a cruise. The expected arrival is 6 am, and we've cruised enough to know that could change.

Could we expect to be off the ship and at the train station in time for a 10 am train? Earlier or later? I don't want to hang around the train station all morning, but then we don't want to ruin the last morning of the trip feeling like we're really rushed. 

After the cruise I'm taking a the ship transfer back to London. It ends at Victoria Station, from there I need to get to Heathrow, looking for suggestions on the best way to do that.

17 minutes ago, chk-gnt said:

After the cruise I'm taking a the ship transfer back to London. It ends at Victoria Station, from there I need to get to Heathrow, looking for suggestions on the best way to do that.

Does your cruise line not offer transfers directly to Heathrow? I would be very surprised if they don't.

2 minutes ago, Twickenham said:

Does your cruise line not offer transfers directly to Heathrow? I would be very surprised if they don't.

It does but this transfer goes to Stonehenge and Salisbury before ending at Victoria Station.

We used Blackberry cars for pre and post cruise transfer last month

London Kings Cross station to Southampton for 2 of us in saloon with luggage £110 for 2 hour journey

return 6 of us in minivan with luggage and Heathrow and Central London drop offs £175

well recommended for door to door service and particularly with shared van worked out cheaper than ships transfer bus

On 7/28/2019 at 5:52 AM, JanineM said:

We're taking National Express from Southampton to London after a cruise. The expected arrival is 6 am, and we've cruised enough to know that could change.

Could we expect to be off the ship and at the train station in time for a 10 am train? Earlier or later? I don't want to hang around the train station all morning, but then we don't want to ruin the last morning of the trip feeling like we're really rushed. 

Janine,  National Express is a coach service; not a train service. 

Either way, it should be straightforward to be at the coach station for a 10a departure; it's about a mile from the cruise port (but that's somewhat dependent on where you dock)

On 8/2/2019 at 10:37 PM, Twickenham said:

On 8/2/2019 at 10:41 PM, chk-gnt said:

It does but this transfer goes to Stonehenge and Salisbury before ending at Victoria Station.

Which cruise line?

All the major cruise lines offer direct airport transfers to Heathrow and Gatwick.

If they don't (perhaps a minnow cruise line?), via central London is not the way to go.

Your main choices are direct National Express coach (think "Greyhound") at about £20 per person, or a private transfer  at about £80 for a sedan.

JB :classic_smile:

On 7/8/2019 at 8:01 AM, wendyp247 said:

Can  anyone who has taken International Friends with a stop at Stonehenge personally  recommend it or say don't take it and why. Trying to decide to  take International Friends or just take National Express to Southampton

, it will be on a Sunday in August. 

We took this tour just 2 weeks ago. The trip was very well done.

The bus was waiting when we disembarked. Left the pier by 8:15 am.

Salisbury Cathedral - had about 45 minutes to walk around. 7.50GBP to enter cathedral. We didn't go in. There was a street fair in the town so we walked around and took pictures.

Stonehenge - (we prepaid tickets) long lines for the shuttle when we got there but worth the wait. Spent about 30-40 minutes waiting for the shuttle. That left us around 45 minutes to walk completely around the stones. Plenty of time. Took the shuttle back down and visited the gift shop.

Windsor Castle - (prepaid tickets) warning, quite a hike up stairs and then a hill to get to the castle. Had about 2 hours to walk around.

At this point the group was split up based on where in London your hotel was. Ours was in Victoria. We were in our room by 6 pm.

It's not cheap but a great way to see a few more things on the way into London.

This must have been answered somewhere but I can't find it. I'm reserving a transatlantic on Princess 11/2020. I want to go into London via LHR as that's the only airport with NS from SFO (I actually prefer Earl's Court) for a few days and then I'm thinking to Southampton for the night b4 the cruise. Can I do that on the train ..... which one's best ..... where to stay in Southampton and anything to do there? I haven't been there since 2014 so I'm thinking 3 days in London is well worth it so do I stay 3 nights Earl's Court & 1 night Southampton or all 4 nights in London?

On 10/4/2019 at 8:20 PM, Ombud said:

This must have been answered somewhere but I can't find it. I'm reserving a transatlantic on Princess 11/2020. I want to go into London via LHR as that's the only airport with NS from SFO (I actually prefer Earl's Court) for a few days and then I'm thinking to Southampton for the night b4 the cruise. Can I do that on the train ..... which one's best ..... where to stay in Southampton and anything to do there? I haven't been there since 2014 so I'm thinking 3 days in London is well worth it so do I stay 3 nights Earl's Court & 1 night Southampton or all 4 nights in London?

Earls Court, eh?

Are you sure you're not an Aussie? :classic_wink: 

As you doubtless know, Earls Court is quite a way from central London - but accommodation is significantly cheaper & the centre of London is quickly & easily reached by tube.

With four pre-cruise nights it's well worth considering the pre-cruise night in Southampton.

Southampton can certainly keep you amused for a day, and is much more relaxing than the big bad city,  but accommodation may not be significantly  cheaper than Earls Court  - and it's not necessary because travel down to Southampton from London on cruise morning is perfectly normal.

By train is a bit problematic - you have to get to either

- London Waterloo station, 5.5 miles by taxi, or by tube with one awkward change

- or Clapham Junction, 4 miles by taxi or by London Overground from West Brompton station, near Earls Court.

Trains are direct to Southampton from Waterloo (the terminus) or Clapham Junction (the first stop after Waterloo). Train journey time about 90 minutes.

Buy your train tickets about 7 to 8 weeks out for discounted fares (about £15 vs walk-up fare about £44) but be aware that the ticket is only good for the train time that you selected - miss it & you'll have to  pay the full walk-up fare for the next train.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Your destination is Southampton Central.

-------------------------------------

From Earls Court the direct National Express bus service is easier and cheaper.

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

Buses start at London Victoria coach station (direct District Line tube from Earls Court to Victoria train station, then a ten-minute walk to Victoria coach station). Approx hourly service, journey time 2 hrs 15 minutes. Fare only about £7.

But there's one intermediate National Express bus-stop in London- and it's at Hammersmith, which is just a couple of stops  on the tube (District line or Piccadilly line) from Earls Court!  The Nat Express bus-stop is very close to the Hammersmith tube exit

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en?find-my-stop=yes

The one snag is that only a few of the Southampton-bound  buses stop at Hammersmith.

Southampton is not always the end-destination of the bus, so don't be fooled by the sign on the front of the bus.

Whether you choose to board at Victoria coach station or at the bus stop on Hammersmith Broadway you should pre-book.

Your destination is Southampton Coach Station. 

Hope this helps more than it confuses :classic_rolleyes:

Not an Aussie. I'm from Northern California. It's not a long walk and it's a quieter neighborhood, remember it being around a 1/2 hour maybe an hour.

Thinking of taking this and going in early:

34 minutes ago, John Bull said:

But there's one intermediate National Express bus-stop in London- and it's at Hammersmith, which is just a couple of stops  on the tube (District line or Piccadilly line) from Earls Court!  The Nat Express bus-stop is very close to the Hammersmith tube exit

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en?find-my-stop=yes

The one snag is that only a few of the Southampton-bound  buses stop at Hammersmith.

THANK YOU!!

Need a ride from Heathrow to hotel near Piccadilly Then a pickup from hotel to ship in Southampton. What car services would you recommend? We will lave two larger checked bags and two carry ons and 2 personal bags as per airline regulations.

4 hours ago, Ombud said:

Not an Aussie. I'm from Northern California. It's not a long walk and it's a quieter neighborhood, remember it being around a 1/2 hour maybe an hour.

Thinking of taking this and going in early:

THANK YOU!!

The tube from Earls Court takes no more than 10 - 15 mins to places like Westminster Bridge/Parliament Square or Hyde Park Corner or Piccadilly Circus or Covent Garden.

But be very wary of the location of the Nat Express Hammersmith bus-stop on the Nat Express map.

It's at the BLUE marker on Hammersmith Bridge Road, not the RED marker, which is on the A4 flyover :classic_ohmy:

This is confirmed by googlemaps & streetview at https://goo.gl/maps/qqL9xbt3qbkeKYt99

On 10/4/2019 at 12:20 PM, Ombud said:

Norwegian fly non-stop SFO-LGW, but Earl's Court is closer to LHR by quite a margin.

Earl's Court is also very easy by tube from Heathrow (direct, Piccadilly line)

As for getting from Earl's Court to Southampton; Tube (district line) to Wimbledon, and then rail service from Wimbledon to Southampton which may involve a quick change, (likely same platform)  at Clapham Jct, Woking or Basingstoke.  If you're doing it on a weekend, I think the trains are actually direct (certainly I've stopped at Wimbledon before along the route from Southampton)

On 8/2/2019 at 5:41 PM, chk-gnt said:

Hello!

I'm wondering how you @chk-gnt  fared getting to LHR from London,  and I was hoping you hadn't felt unwelcome to continue seeking advice here on the board. It's meant to be a comfortable, fun, and friendly atmosphere among our Cruise Critic members, and it almost always is! What makes these boards great, are the terrific group of people who happily spend their time sharing information and asking questions among one another, no strings attached, without judgment, in kindness, free of judgment. The only bad question is the one that is not asked. 

It is not easy to describe in detail the intricacies of any major city's transportation system, especially if making connections and dealing with multiple resources in a city one has never visited before. Moreover, it's easy to leave out a detail when one is a local and writing it down; I know I have done so on occasion when writing about my own city; I am sure I have listed every detail because in my mind, it's automatic, I can visualize every part of every step and I know what it's all named (maybe?) and where it all goes (definitely) and the costs, connections, apps, payment methods, stations, terminals, who runs what, how the machines work, but can I leave out a detail when I am trying to help someone? Probably...every time, especially when I am trying to write it down for someone, unintentionally. And in my city, our normal pace is "are you deliberately going slow?" 

The MORE questions you ask, the more likely it is things will be clearer for you and we can be helpful. And we would not be here if we did not want to help you, especially in big, busy cities with lots of stations, lines, and many that don't necessarily make sense, even to us living here all our lives. I still make mistakes on occasion OR, the train just suddenly does NOT go where *I* want it to (they claim it's not personal, lol) and I have to reconfigure my journey which helps keep me on my toes! And grumbling 😉 

So....how did it go at Victoria? Did you even arrive at Victoria? Or did you come into Waterloo? If so, that hopefully worked out, it's a wonderful, easy, quite modern/updated station to go through and I'm hoping you found it equally convenient. Did you take a train to LHR from Paddington? You would have had to tube it from Waterloo to Paddington but that would have been an easy enough trip if your luggage wasn't too cumbersome. Everything is pretty well automated and easy to use, (fewer tickets in hand) but that doesn't mean it can't still feel daunting and/or intimidating trying to get it all sorted before departure.

There was a comment earlier about the name of a station, was it London Waterloo, I can't recall. It's a common trivia question in NYC that most locals even get wrong as to the proper name of the large train station at 42nd street, near Lexington Avenue, Grand Central; most of us will call it Grand Central Station although that is totally wrong. It's correctly called Grand Central Terminal. Grand Central Station is a post office....and yet, ask almost anyone where to catch the Metro North in Manhattan (that is, if you can find an actual NYer!) and they'll tell you Grand Central Station. Yep, there's a small, small, mailbox there, not far from the info booth, against the same wall where the tracks are, but no postal services, only trains. 🤔 (also, 4,5,6,7, Shuttle subway trains!!) 

Thanks as always everyone 🙂 

1 hour ago, Host Bonjour said:

Hello!

I'm wondering how you @chk-gnt  fared getting to LHR from London,  and I was hoping you hadn't felt unwelcome to continue seeking advice here on the board. It's meant to be a comfortable, fun, and friendly atmosphere among our Cruise Critic members, and it almost always is! What makes these boards great, are the terrific group of people who happily spend their time sharing information and asking questions among one another, no strings attached, without judgment, in kindness, free of judgment. The only bad question is the one that is not asked. 

It is not easy to describe in detail the intricacies of any major city's transportation system, especially if making connections and dealing with multiple resources in a city one has never visited before. Moreover, it's easy to leave out a detail when one is a local and writing it down; I know I have done so on occasion when writing about my own city; I am sure I have listed every detail because in my mind, it's automatic, I can visualize every part of every step and I know what it's all named (maybe?) and where it all goes (definitely) and the costs, connections, apps, payment methods, stations, terminals, who runs what, how the machines work, but can I leave out a detail when I am trying to help someone? Probably...every time, especially when I am trying to write it down for someone, unintentionally. And in my city, our normal pace is "are you deliberately going slow?" 

The MORE questions you ask, the more likely it is things will be clearer for you and we can be helpful. And we would not be here if we did not want to help you, especially in big, busy cities with lots of stations, lines, and many that don't necessarily make sense, even to us living here all our lives. I still make mistakes on occasion OR, the train just suddenly does NOT go where *I* want it to (they claim it's not personal, lol) and I have to reconfigure my journey which helps keep me on my toes! And grumbling 😉 

So....how did it go at Victoria? Did you even arrive at Victoria? Or did you come into Waterloo? If so, that hopefully worked out, it's a wonderful, easy, quite modern/updated station to go through and I'm hoping you found it equally convenient. Did you take a train to LHR from Paddington? You would have had to tube it from Waterloo to Paddington but that would have been an easy enough trip if your luggage wasn't too cumbersome. Everything is pretty well automated and easy to use, (fewer tickets in hand) but that doesn't mean it can't still feel daunting and/or intimidating trying to get it all sorted before departure.

There was a comment earlier about the name of a station, was it London Waterloo, I can't recall. It's a common trivia question in NYC that most locals even get wrong as to the proper name of the large train station at 42nd street, near Lexington Avenue, Grand Central; most of us will call it Grand Central Station although that is totally wrong. It's correctly called Grand Central Terminal. Grand Central Station is a post office....and yet, ask almost anyone where to catch the Metro North in Manhattan (that is, if you can find an actual NYer!) and they'll tell you Grand Central Station. Yep, there's a small, small, mailbox there, not far from the info booth, against the same wall where the tracks are, but no postal services, only trains. 🤔 (also, 4,5,6,7, Shuttle subway trains!!) 

Thanks as always everyone 🙂 

I really appreciated all of the help from everyone on Cruise Critic. I took the excursion from the boat to Victoria Station. That bus lets you off across the street from the station. I had 2 suitcases so I had booked a car to the airport. Stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn at the airport, it's connected to terminal 2 and 3.

I guess I don't grasp the sticky and the links very well....or I'm just a bit dense.  Anyway, I already have my transfer booked but a friend has asked about getting to Southampton (a hotel TBA) from LHR by train, preferably train only, with minimal connections.  I used Mr. Google and thetrainline dot com seems to suggest that there are no direct routes, all have some sort of connection and several have a bus substitution on a portion of the journey, at least for the date I'm using.  (A Sunday in November)

Also it appears that several trains stop at/near the airport and not at Central Station. Would it be better to get to Waterloo or Victoria and then head to Southampton? 

Sorry, I feel like I'm really missing something.  Trying to avoid, as much as possible, the use of buses.  

I appreciate any clarification you can provide!  Thanks

Edited by megr1125