Cruise Critic Community
Host Bonjour

Transfer: Southampton—London (incl. LHR/LGW) train, car, other?

There's normally  no need to wait until check-in time to leave your luggage, most hotels will accept luggage earlier in the day - though do double-check with your hotel. So you could probably head straight to Kensington, avoiding the cost of the car's waiting time.

But if you're prepared to swallow that cost, both  https://www.rct.uk/visit/windsor-castle

and .https://www.hrp.org.uk/hampton-court-palace/#gs.q5bbq2 are quite close to Heathrow (but in opposite directions). 

Both are open from 10am.

I don't know of anything of interest close to Hampton Court Palace.

But Windsor castle is right in the town centre of Windsor,and yes, the town centre is well worth a wander

JB :classic_smile:

On 1/6/2020 at 5:21 PM, John Bull said:

There's normally  no need to wait until check-in time to leave your luggage, most hotels will accept luggage earlier in the day - though do double-check with your hotel. So you could probably head straight to Kensington, avoiding the cost of the car's waiting time.

But if you're prepared to swallow that cost, both  https://www.rct.uk/visit/windsor-castle

and .https://www.hrp.org.uk/hampton-court-palace/#gs.q5bbq2 are quite close to Heathrow (but in opposite directions). 

Both are open from 10am.

I don't know of anything of interest close to Hampton Court Palace.

But Windsor castle is right in the town centre of Windsor,and yes, the town centre is well worth a wander

Thanks for the info!  We are staying at a serviced apartment with no front desk.  When I inquired about luggage storage, they referred me to a third-party storage service in the vicinity.  The car service has a 4 hour minimum for this type of pick up and drop off, so we thought we would leverage the service to see a few sites before our arrival in Kensington.  Perhaps get someone familiar with the area to give us a “lay of the land” to start our London adventure.  Hoping that it being on a Sunday, traffic would be accommodating to check things out by car.  

39 minutes ago, Tdennisok said:

Thanks for the info!  We are staying at a serviced apartment with no front desk.  When I inquired about luggage storage, they referred me to a third-party storage service in the vicinity.  The car service has a 4 hour minimum for this type of pick up and drop off, so we thought we would leverage the service to see a few sites before our arrival in Kensington.  Perhaps get someone familiar with the area to give us a “lay of the land” to start our London adventure.  Hoping that it being on a Sunday, traffic would be accommodating to check things out by car.  

Had the same situation with an apartment in Amsterdam but fortunately it was near the centraal station, which had lockers.

The main terminus stations in London have luggage storage - depending on the location of the apartment  the nearest is probably Victoria train station but Ken is a big area and it might not be very close.

So your plan probably makes sense.

(for comparison a simple LHR - Kensington transfer would cost in the order of £40 to £45 -  but expect to pay double and more)

As per my post, Windsor and Hampton Court are pretty close to Heathrow, Hampton Court would involve less mileage because it's more in the direction of central London.

Or Kew Gardens, close to a direct route, if that's your scene.

Or take the opportunity to get your bearings with a meander around the sights in west central London like  Ken. Palace, the South Ken. museum complex and Abert Memorial, thru Hyde Park, Marble Arch & Speakers Corner, Wellington Arch, & Buckingham Palace - mebbe even Whitehall & Big Ben. But sights in east central London ( like St Paul's, Tower of London, Tower Bridge) are more distant and would add to the mileage & time. You'd need a driver who knows their way round central London and at least enough knowledge to point out the multiple sights that you'd pass.

Hi All, 

I've been trying to read all the responses, but have just confused myself.  😊

We will be flying into Heathrow Airport a day before our cruise and need to get from the Airport to Southhampton (Hotel to be decided next) and then at the end of the Cruise, Norwegian Star 09/16/20 we will need to get from the Cruise Terminal to the airport for a 2:30 pm flight.  

Can anyone help me with the best way to do this please?  There will only be 2 of us. 

Thanks so much!

Mae

I’m sure someone will chime in with more knowledge . In the meantime, there are several private companies that you can hire and I am pretty sure there is also a bus. Not sure if a train is available from the airport. Are you interested in a private car service? Many have been recommended on this board and I can list them if interested 

Thanks Happythoughts

I guess I'm interested in all options.  I see that NCL offers a transfer from the ship to the airport for $65/per person, but no options prior to the cruise.  

Wondering if there is a train from the airport and then we taxi to hotel, or if we must take a private car or bus from the airport?

Mae

19 minutes ago, Magiemae41 said:

Thanks Happythoughts

I guess I'm interested in all options.  I see that NCL offers a transfer from the ship to the airport for $65/per person, but no options prior to the cruise.  

Wondering if there is a train from the airport and then we taxi to hotel, or if we must take a private car or bus from the airport?

Mae

There is no direct train from Heathrow to Southamption. However, the National Express bus has been regularly recommended.

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

On 1/22/2020 at 8:57 AM, Magiemae41 said:

We will be flying into Heathrow Airport a day before our cruise and need to get from the Airport to Southhampton (Hotel to be decided next) and then at the end of the Cruise, Norwegian Star 09/16/20 we will need to get from the Cruise Terminal to the airport for a 2:30 pm flight. 

A private transfer will be approx £80, a coach (National Express) varies but is typically £5-20/ea depending on how far out you book.  I'd just take the coach.

Rail sounds great, but goes in the wrong direction from Heathrow, toward London, so there is no direct rail service from Heathrow to Southampton.  (there is direct rail from London's Gatwick airport, just not Heathrow)

Does anyone know if it's easy to take the National Express from LHR to Southampton?  Our Virgin Atlantic flight gets in to Terminal 3 at 10:40 a.m.   DH has difficulty walking long distances, and we'll be each pulling our luggage.  If we take the coach, can we safely make a 1 p.m. departure?   What stop in Southampton is closest to the Southampton Harbour Hotel?  

Thanks to all!  

6 hours ago, EuroDate20 said:

Does anyone know if it's easy to take the National Express from LHR to Southampton?  Our Virgin Atlantic flight gets in to Terminal 3 at 10:40 a.m.   DH has difficulty walking long distances, and we'll be each pulling our luggage.  If we take the coach, can we safely make a 1 p.m. departure?   What stop in Southampton is closest to the Southampton Harbour Hotel?  

Thanks to all!  

From T3 you have to get to Heathrow Central Bus Station - it's about ten minutes but much is on a travelator.

Aircraft to arrivals hall should be 90 minutes, mebbe a little longer. So if your aircraft is on-time (flying west-to-east with the jet-stream they usually are) you should be at the bus station by 12.30.

But no guarantees - you don't have a huge window for delays (though on a random date the timetable shows a 1.15 departure time from Heathrow central bus station).

You want the Nat Express coach to Southampton Coach Station.

Southampton Harbour Hotel is too far to walk from there with luggage & DH's dodgy undercarriage, so take a taxi from the rank at the coach station, £8 to £10

By far the most up-market hotel in the city. 

With coach x 2 + taxi your journey will work out at about £55.

A private transfer would cost about £40 more, but no worries about timing and less walking. Recommendations dotted around this thread. 

Thanks JB!  I think it's best to do it the easy way with a private transfer.  We'll likely be tired from the long flight and less hassle is welcomed.  

8 hours ago, John Bull said:

So if your aircraft is on-time (flying west-to-east with the jet-stream they usually are) ...

Flying in any direction, they usually are on time. There is nothing special about aircraft flying eastbound across the Atlantic.

At airports like Heathrow, airlines can be penalised if their flights are routinely off-schedule, whether by being early or by being late - so schedules allow for winds (including seasonal variations).

The most important thing about planning is to allow and plan for the possibility that things will go wrong, as they will from time to time. Fortunately, National Express makes that easy.

We have reserved a private car from Heathrow to the Premier Inn London County Hall.  How much would I tip the driver?

1 hour ago, TYTY said:

We have reserved a private car from Heathrow to the Premier Inn London County Hall.  How much would I tip the driver?

Whatever you think they're worth.

Seriously - its not like in the States.

- Scruffy, inconsiderate driving, getting lost, or uncommunicative. Zilch !!!

- Professional & competent. £5?

- Smart car, friendly & helpful driver, smooth driving, a hand with the luggage, mebbe pointing out a few sights en-route. £10?

That'd be my parameters.

But not necessarily the same as other folk.

Back to "whatever you think they're worth".:classic_wink:

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

Whatever you think they're worth.

Seriously - its not like in the States.

- Scruffy, inconsiderate driving, getting lost, or uncommunicative. Zilch !!!

- Professional & competent. £5?

- Smart car, friendly & helpful driver, smooth driving, a hand with the luggage, mebbe pointing out a few sights en-route. £10?

That'd be my parameters.

But not necessarily the same as other folk.

Back to "whatever you think they're worth".:classic_wink:

Thanks I knew you'd be able to help!

Just finished reading through posts and some help is needed as I just booked cruise today:

I arrive in Southampton Via RCCL Anthem on Friday, April 24th and am traveling solo. I am trying to determine best way to plan my weekend. I am staying in London for wknd, (hotel TBD) and not sure how to get to London to do this, whether to rent a 1 way car, bus, or if a tour... Tour would be ideal and less hassle, but not private tour, as too expensive for me alone. I am OK with car and driving on opposite side road since did this in another country last summer. Would need figure out where to drop off car in London. Reason for tour or ca rental is Friday, I would like to arrive and visit Highclere Castle (tickets open for Friday only) and possibly Stonehenge on way to London hotel that eve. The castle is my priority. Previously toured Windsor and most tours go there or don't go in Highclere. 

Sat and Sunday- stay in London, trying to decide which area is best for hotel, considering I like to see Tower London, Buckingham Palace, Kensington, etc.  Sunday my flight is from LHR at 6, so will need to get there for flight.

Suggestions are truly appreciated!

Diana

On 2/2/2020 at 11:06 PM, de13 said:

Just finished reading through posts and some help is needed as I just booked cruise today:

I arrive in Southampton Via RCCL Anthem on Friday, April 24th and am traveling solo. I am trying to determine best way to plan my weekend. I am staying in London for wknd, (hotel TBD) and not sure how to get to London to do this, whether to rent a 1 way car, bus, or if a tour... Tour would be ideal and less hassle, but not private tour, as too expensive for me alone. I am OK with car and driving on opposite side road since did this in another country last summer. Would need figure out where to drop off car in London. Reason for tour or ca rental is Friday, I would like to arrive and visit Highclere Castle (tickets open for Friday only) and possibly Stonehenge on way to London hotel that eve. The castle is my priority. Previously toured Windsor and most tours go there or don't go in Highclere. 

Sat and Sunday- stay in London, trying to decide which area is best for hotel, considering I like to see Tower London, Buckingham Palace, Kensington, etc.  Sunday my flight is from LHR at 6, so will need to get there for flight.

Suggestions are truly appreciated!

Diana

Hi Diana,

Can I suggest you DONT rent a car to drive into London. Driving, navigating and parking is awful.

Can I suggest that if you want to rent to visit Highclere or Stonehenge (doubt you ll have time for both, but they,re both pretty easy to drive) you rent from LHR and return the car to LHR, then travel into London by Heathrow Express (for hotel in Paddington) or Nat Express bus (for hotel in Victoria) or tube (for hotel close to a stop on the Piccadilly line) or pre-booked private transfer (35 to 50 GBP, depending on hotel location).

If you choose a hotel close to a tube station, all the places that you,d want to visit in the city are very easy to reach.

You could visit Stonehenge on the way from your central London hotel to your ship in Southampton, International Friends offer a cruise tour/transfer coach for your ship, with pick-up from hotel, 90 to 120 minute visit to Stonehenge en-route, and drop you at the ship.

Price includes Stonehenge admission (importantly its “anytime” admission, far easier than having to figure an arrival time to book if you drove there).

I,m travelling at the moment, poor WiFi and elderly I-Pad, so cant post a link to International Friends or their booking agency London Toolkit. Search this forum for links or ask google.

London toolkit is also very good for info, transport and other logistics in London and Southampton

JB 😀