Looking for Churchill

dlouise

thanks to all for the info.   He sounds like a true professional.  Unfortunately, were I to spend a week with a butler at my beck and call, reentry to reality would be too harsh.   But then again (as StanandJim know), we already live at times in a reality which is a bit of a bubble!   Have a good week everyone.   Judy

On 5/12/2019 at 8:55 AM, debs0712 said:

Churchill was our butler on the Riviera in November.  He was excellent!!

Well, we obviously missed out.

On our previous Riviera cruise, we had Xavier, who was *amazing*.

(One of our two favorites, the other on a different line.  The two were quite different, but both "made" the cruise, no question!)

But in November... we had,well, not someone who clearly made a difference.  Sort of the minimum needed, etc.

We were stunned one evening to learn that he had just been given some recognition for 5 years of service.  Well, maybe recognizing the LENGTH of service, but not the quality!

We probably should have complained (we've NEVER complained on any line about staff members, although plumbing... yes!), but he was just barely "satisfactory enough".

OTOH, maybe we've just been fortunate and have been lucky the past several years, and this past experience was more common?

Alas, I don't quite remember his name.

He always seemed rushed, but the "other cruise line's Butler was also clearly "very busy", but he never let it show or interfere with his helpfulness.

And this time, we didn't even use him as much as on any other cruise.  No doubt, that was because it wasn't a particularly positive experience each time.

But if EVER there was a First World Problem, this was it.

Can one request a specific Butler, if it's known in advance he/she is likely to be on board?

Would that ever actually work?

GC

I don't think so.  They have specific areas to cover -- it wouldn't be very efficient for the butler to have to go from one end of the ship to the other.

We've had many butlers over the years, and they have all been quite good.  Obviously, some better than others!  But we never had the minimal service you have described.

Mura

12 minutes ago, Mura said:

I don't think so.  They have specific areas to cover -- it wouldn't be very efficient for the butler to have to go from one end of the ship to the other.

We've had many butlers over the years, and they have all been quite good.  Obviously, some better than others!  But we never had the minimal service you have described.

Mura

Thanks.

I didn't mean to have to poor Butler scurry to the "other end of the ship just for us", but perhaps to get assigned that suite grouping for the sailing we'd be on...?

Yeah, it was a bit of a disappointment, but the rest of the cruise, and the ship itself, was - as usual - wonderful.

GC

Hmmm.  It might be easier to find out the area where he will be serving and then book accordingly ... although that doesn't sound very feasible either!  I suspect the ship personnel wouldn't want to take the time to switch a butler from one area to another even if a passenger makes a request ... that would probably also mean switching two butlers ...

But I'm guessing.

1 hour ago, Jancruz said:

Sorry I didnt have better news for you..Have a great trip anyway..

Jancruz1

Do you happen to know if there is any point is contacting Oceania some time in advance of a cruise to request a particular Butler if on board?  Might they assign the area of "our" suite to that Butler?

If so, how far in advance?

Many thanks.

GC

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

Do you happen to know if there is any point is contacting Oceania some time in advance of a cruise to request a particular Butler if on board?  Might they assign the area of "our" suite to that Butler?

If so, how far in advance?

Many thanks.

GC

Sorry,  there is no one you can reach that can help you..Butlers have there assignments long before you may board..

Jancruz1