Trip Insurance For Carnival

estrawn

I always buy a GeoBlue policy for medical coverage but I have never bought complete trip insurance because to get medical coverage equivalent to GeoBlue costs a large amount.  That being said, there are a great number of posts on the "Carnival Problems" threads that say it is imperative to buy trip insurance in case the judge goes through with her threat to ban Carnival from US ports.  I'm curious as to why, if Carnival can't provide the cruise I have booked and paid for, I should have to get my money back through an insurance claim.  I would think that Carnival would owe everyone a full refund in this situation because it was caused by their actions.  What do you all think?

2 hours ago, estrawn said:

I always buy a GeoBlue policy for medical coverage but I have never bought complete trip insurance because to get medical coverage equivalent to GeoBlue costs a large amount.  That being said, there are a great number of posts on the "Carnival Problems" threads that say it is imperative to buy trip insurance in case the judge goes through with her threat to ban Carnival from US ports.  I'm curious as to why, if Carnival can't provide the cruise I have booked and paid for, I should have to get my money back through an insurance claim.  I would think that Carnival would owe everyone a full refund in this situation because it was caused by their actions.  What do you all think?

If you paid using a major credit card, you should be covered if you did not receive what you paid for.

But you also might want to double check with the card company.

(We've found Amex to be the best in terms of consumer backup, the few times something has happened.)

Good luck.

And I can't imagine the mess if ALL of those cruise passengers end up high and dry.  Yikes!

GC

I have the Bank of America Premium Rewards card. $95 a year. I mainly have it for one reason, the travel insurance up to $5,000.00 for each traveler. Must use the card to book your travel, Basically any travel you want to do. Not just a cruise. Does not cover medical or just because you changed you mind. It also cover lost luggage, delayed luggage and a lot more. 

If Carnival was banned from US Ports they would be unable to provide cruises embarking from US Ports.  In such a situation they would be in substantial breach of their contractual obligation to provide a cruise vacation.  If you live in the USA and charged your cruise on a major credit card you would first expect to have your entire fare refunded by the cruise line.  If they refused you could put the entire charge under "dispute" with your credit card company and get your money refunded through the credit card company.

I do not want to get into a political discussion, but it is very unlikely that the judge is going to impose such a ban and more unlikely that such a ban would ever go into effect (CCL would quickly appeal and seek injunctive relief pending resolution of an appeal).  Consider the impact, of such a ruling, on the airlines, hotels, and other related entities in South Florida.  And CCL's next annual stockholders meeting would be an interesting place if this issue is not quickly resolved.  One could make a prediction that Carnival will find a way to satisfy the court :).

Hank

On 5/11/2019 at 3:51 PM, estrawn said:

...I'm curious as to why, if Carnival can't provide the cruise I have booked and paid for, I should have to get my money back through an insurance claim.  I would think that Carnival would owe everyone a full refund in this situation because it was caused by their actions...

They would certainly give you a refund, but it in theory could come in the form of a future cruise voucher. Using a credit card offers coverage. But does travel insurance?

When that big hurricane damaged the eastern Carib islands and came through Miami, Southwest canceled my flight and issued a travel credit for a future ticket. My insurance didn't refund my money because I had already been reimbursed. I did end up finding and buying a first-class ticket and they did reimburse me for that, even though the policy says it will only pay for the same class of ticket. I did explain on the form that it was the only flight available and only first class was available. I also found out they would not reimburse stuff bought with points, even if those points have a money value. So, if I use reward points to pay for a prepaid non-refundable rental car, they won't reimburse it.

• Like 1