Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Good biscuits are not hard to make. Neither is good pumpkin pie. Good pie crust is hard to come by. I grew up thinking I didn't like pie crust. The first time I had my wife's pie crust I was absolutely amazed. I have actually made very good pie crust with her coaching but it wasn't as good as hers. One secret is to use as little water as possible. Don't pour in water - use a spoon and add it a little at a time. I never make pecan pie. Where I live walnuts are grown and I have always made walnut pie. It's the same as pecan pie just using a different nut. I make it every Thanksgiving and if I were to show up at a family Thanksgiving dinner without it I would be in deep trouble. It's really good stuff. 😊

 

That is the secret to flaky pie crust.....only use enough water to dampen the flour and then mix just until the dough holds together (never, ever knead pie crust dough!).  Roll it out and transfer to the dish.  Handle it as little as possible.  Good grief, here we are on CC talking about pie recipes....LOL!  

Thrak, I've been meaning to ask, whereabouts in Butte County?  My mom lived in Paradise up until last November......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2019 at 3:10 PM, EmilyColwell said:

Do they just celebrate US Thanksgiving?

I am a Canadian who will be on a cruise departing from Vancouver during Thanksgiving and wondering if they do anything over that day as well?

We were on the cruise to Hawaii from Vancouver last October and it was over Canadian Thanksgiving.  I was quite touched that anything was done for it. 

 

IIRC, there was turkey in the buffet and a display in piazza.  Really quite nice but there were a lot of Canadians on board our trip.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We celebrated Thanksgiving on the Caribbean Princess in November of 2016.  We ate dinner in the dining room.  Dinner was dissapointing--a very small portion of turkey and not very tasty and one small piece of a sweet potato.  No mashed potatoes.  I did ask for mashed potatoes and they brought me a small dish and they were not very good and no gravy was served with the turkey or potatoes.  I do not think they had any stuffing available.  Fortunately, the meal was memorable because of a wonderful family who were our table mates who we had Thanksgiving with us and became our new friends that week.  We had dinner the next night at the buffet and the carved turkey was delicious!

Edited by Suncitycruiser1925
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ve done 4 Princess cruises over Thanksgiving and will be on the Royal this Thanksgiving too. As has been mentioned above, they will have turkey on the menu, but on the cruises we’ve done, that Thursday is also formal night, so steak and lobster is also on the menu, so it’s a no brainer to skip the turkey! 😉 (especially given the fact that we go back to the UK for Christmas most years which is also a turkey day, so no way am I gorging on turkey twice in the space of a month! 😉 )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my humble opinion celebrations will depend on what part of the world the planned  cruise is in - that is not mentioned. If the cruise is in the Baltic it is most unlikely there will be Thanksgiving celebrations. We must remember that the whole world does no revolve around the USA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, joybook said:

In my humble opinion celebrations will depend on what part of the world the planned  cruise is in - that is not mentioned. If the cruise is in the Baltic it is most unlikely there will be Thanksgiving celebrations. We must remember that the whole world does no revolve around the USA.

I knew someone would post this as people have in every Thanksgiving thread. The world does revolve around the customers and on many if not most of Princess cruises they would be from the United States. I realize you are in Australia and that is not the case in Princess Cruises in your country. There is no need on these boards to express Anti-American sentiments or anti-any nationality for that matter. I would gladly celebrate ANZAC day if observed on board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ship will be overrun w children and the dinner was marginally better than a Thanksgiving dinner at Denny's.

 

DON

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

The ship will be overrun w children and the dinner was marginally better than a Thanksgiving dinner at Denny's.

 

DON

 

You're dead wrong on that comment.  There were very few children on the Crown Princess last November during Thanksgiving week and the Thanksgiving dinner in the MDR was delicious.  I've never had Thanksgiving dinner at Denny's but I've eaten at Denny's so I know how their food is.  What a silly statement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, joybook said:

In my humble opinion celebrations will depend on what part of the world the planned  cruise is in - that is not mentioned. If the cruise is in the Baltic it is most unlikely there will be Thanksgiving celebrations. We must remember that the whole world does no revolve around the USA.

Wow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Suncitycruiser1925 said:

We had dinner the next night at the buffet and the carved turkey was delicious!

Thanksgiving dinner is usually better at the buffet on most Princess ships. 

They serve carved turkey so you can ask for what you want, they have many more veggies than the DR and best of all the place is usually empty since most people think the DR will be magnificent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my Thanksgiving cruises was in French Polynesia and yes, they did have turkey on the menu that day.

 

As for children, we did a Thanksgiving MR cruise out of Los Angeles one year where there were 800+ kids aboard!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, polmcs said:

One of my Thanksgiving cruises was in French Polynesia and yes, they did have turkey on the menu that day.

 

As for children, we did a Thanksgiving MR cruise out of Los Angeles one year where there were 800+ kids aboard!

That's more than some Christmas cruises. 😵

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 5:11 PM, Thrak said:

Good biscuits are not hard to make. Neither is good pumpkin pie. Good pie crust is hard to come by. I grew up thinking I didn't like pie crust. The first time I had my wife's pie crust I was absolutely amazed. I have actually made very good pie crust with her coaching but it wasn't as good as hers. One secret is to use as little water as possible. Don't pour in water - use a spoon and add it a little at a time. I never make pecan pie. Where I live walnuts are grown and I have always made walnut pie. It's the same as pecan pie just using a different nut. I make it every Thanksgiving and if I were to show up at a family Thanksgiving dinner without it I would be in deep trouble. It's really good stuff. 😊

If Princess would just stop over baking they pecan pies they might not be all that bad.

They overcook them to the point of being crunchy, and that's just not right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a 7-day Caribbean cruise for two!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...