Suggestion on what to do in Helsinki, Finland for one day??

I have never been to Helsinki before.

For those who have been to Helsinki before, what did you do there for the day??

Any ideas / suggestions are welcome 😊

Also do we docked near Helsinki or a long way from it?? :classic_unsure:

If the HOHO buses are next to the ship,jump on one.Buy a combo ticket and do the loop and then take the harbour boat tour.That's what we did.It would have been a mission to walk downtown.There's a market next to the tour dock downtown,selling all the local delicacies among other things.Cheers,Brian.

Edited by brian1
  • Like 1

I took a shuttle bus provided at the port (for a fee) to the Esplanade park.  Walked down to the Market Square area and explored the waterfront.  Walked over to Senate Square.  Walked to/in Uspenski Cathedral.  Walked to the Train Station (cool building).  Continued walking to the Rock Church. Somewhere along the way, I got on a Tram and rode around a little and had some lunch at one of the stops.  Got back on the Tram and rode to see the Olympic Stadium from the outside.  Walked to the Sibelius Monument.  Got back on the Tram and found the place where the shuttle bus picked me up and took me back to the ship.  Nice relaxing day.  Lots of walking.  But easy to do.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2019 at 3:15 PM, nattie said:

We are going to Market Square and catching ferry to Suomelinna from there. Should be fun!

That is my plan as well.  Unfortunately, our ship leaves early that day (3:00 pm....not sure why??) but it says we dock at 7:00 am so hopefully we can get off the ship super early and have time to explore the Market Square area and still head to Suomelinna.

19 hours ago, lamb616 said:

That is my plan as well.  Unfortunately, our ship leaves early that day (3:00 pm....not sure why??) but it says we dock at 7:00 am so hopefully we can get off the ship super early and have time to explore the Market Square area and still head to Suomelinna.

The Market Square is open for business 6:30-19 on weekdays, 6:30-18 on Saturdays and 10-17 on summer Sundays. And Suomenlinna ferry timetable tells that there is 2-3 (weekdays) or 2-4 (weekends) ferries per hour during the time of your visit and the ride takes about 15 minutes one way, so you should have sufficient time to visit the fortress island. The early morning ferries are most likely less crowded, so perhaps it might be good idea to hop on the ferry about as soon as possible, that would also allow little more flexibility in determing how long you want to spend at Suomenlinna before heading back to the mainland.

Edited by Hezu
Correcting the link.

8 hours ago, Hezu said:

The Market Square is open for business 6:30-19 on weekdays, 6:30-18 on Saturdays and 10-17 on summer Sundays. And Suomenlinna ferry timetable tells that there is 2-3 (weekdays) or 2-4 (weekends) ferries per hour during the time of your visit and the ride takes about 15 minutes one way, so you should have sufficient time to visit the fortress island. The early morning ferries are most likely less crowded, so perhaps it might be good idea to hop on the ferry about as soon as possible, that would also allow little more flexibility in determing how long you want to spend at Suomenlinna before heading back to the mainland.

That is an excellent idea....we should start at Suomenlinna first!  I bet we will be ahead of the crowd that way.  Thanks

• 1 month later...
On 6/11/2019 at 1:50 PM, Hezu said:

Hezu,

We will be docking at Hernesaari on Sat 10th August. How far is that to where the Suomenlinna ferry leaves and is it easy to get there?  Also how long would we need to visit the island?

We were just there last month. Our cruise provided a shuttle to the Market Square area.  At the nearby ferry terminal,  we purchased all day transportation passes that included the trams and ferries.  The passes were inexpensive and convenient. We took the ferry to the island and the trams to the Olympic site and Rock Church.  

• Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 10:55 AM, MeHeartCruising said:

I took a shuttle bus provided at the port (for a fee) to the Esplanade park.  Walked down to the Market Square area and explored the waterfront.  Walked over to Senate Square.  Walked to/in Uspenski Cathedral.  Walked to the Train Station (cool building).  Continued walking to the Rock Church. Somewhere along the way, I got on a Tram and rode around a little and had some lunch at one of the stops.  Got back on the Tram and rode to see the Olympic Stadium from the outside.  Walked to the Sibelius Monument.  Got back on the Tram and found the place where the shuttle bus picked me up and took me back to the ship.  Nice relaxing day.  Lots of walking.  But easy to do.

That sounds like a very interesting independent  day.

Thank you for your info as I can store it for our trip there next year.😊