Anti-Motion Sickness Glasses Available

orvil

I previously started a thread about Anti-motion sickness glasses.  I did have a long wait to get the glasses from Boarding Glasses and they were very expensive.  I just came across another competitor/supplier.  I wanted to provide the link to those who are in need of a little extra help.  They advertise that you only need to wear them 10 minutes.  Boarding Glasses suggests 20 minutes.  I'd go with the 20 minute option just to be certain. 

https://eyesonboard.com/

I've used these successfully.  I can still recommend the Travel Shades.  https://www.travelshades.com/

I hope these help.  If anyone uses them, please report back.  Others will benefit.

The ones available on Amazon (did a search on the Amazon site for "eyes on board") look identical and the cost is $14-15.  Not "Prime" but free shipping if you don't mind waiting 'til mid June.  There was one set from a retailer that honored "Prime" and would deliver this week, but for $20.  May retailers on the Amazon Market Place are using the same pix of the glasses, have the same description and same mid-June delivery date.  Very few reviews, mostly not good and a common complaint that they are really cheaply made and don't fit well.  Wonder if they are the same. Still at $14, it may be worth the investment.

Edited by 1985rz1

12 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

I wonder what the theory is behind these glasses.

The best description I can find is on the original website for these glasses (these are the patented ones - likely not what is being sold cheaply on Amazon, etc.)

"Motion sickness affects up to 66% of the passengers depending on the vehicle. It is caused by a mismatch between the visual information and the balance system's perceptions.

In the cabin of a boat, or on the back seat of a car, the eye can't see the moves felt by the balance. This is a crisis situation for the brain, that can trigger the most severe symptoms.

Technology

Boarding Ring developed an innovative and smart solution : the patented medical device Boarding Glasses is filled with a blue liquid. In response to the accelerations of the vehicle, the liquid moves around the eyes in the frontal direction (right-left) and in the sagittal direction (front-back).

It creates an artificial horizon in the peripheral field of view, without disturbing the central vision. The eye has then access to the reality of the moves, the sensorial conflict instantly disappears and motion sickness fades in a few minutes."

• 2 weeks later...

They've arrived.  The $14-15 anti-motion sickness glasses.  The frames are a very soft plastic.  Let's see how (or if) they work.  If anyone else has tried this style, cheap or expensive, it would be great to have a review. Our next trip is months away, so it will be a while before we can give an assessment.

Travelcat2 -They look like the patented ones you refer to.  Are they the same?

1535868733_MotionSicknessGlasses.thumb.jpg.67b08d8df47af23cda0d8525b2af92cf.jpg

Edited by 1985rz1

Yes - they look like the ones that are being made in France (for about $100 including shipping) but they could be a copy.  I guess that one way to tell is if you know where they were made.  

Please let us know if they work.  We won't be on a ship until September so have no idea how effective they are.

12 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Yes - they look like the ones that are being made in France (for about $100 including shipping) but they could be a copy.  I guess that one way to tell is if you know where they were made.  

Please let us know if they work.  We won't be on a ship until September so have no idea how effective they are.

I suspect they are copies...so much for patents.  These were shipped initially by China Post by a company called Gualaba.  But  others (now at less than $10.00) include companies in India.

Our next cruise is in December, so it will be a wait until we can try them.  Our interest was sparked by the rough water in the Bering Sea on the  past Tokyo to Vancouver cruise, as we are booked for this same itinerary  in 2021.

Edited by 1985rz1

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't tried them yet.  Our next cruise is in December, but it's a CA coastal cruise, so it won't be a good test.

Our first real test won't be until July 2021 when we circumnavigate England, Scotland and Ireland/Northern Ireland.

While having a stable horizon to look at does tend to lessen seasickness for me, I've awakened with sea sickness during the night. This happened a number of times on our own boat over the years before we ever started taking cruises, and once on a small ship cruise to the Caribbean. That makes me think that glasses would not totally prevent my sea sickness. And once it starts, it's hard to recover from.

I started relying on Bonine on our own boat when I expected rough seas, and I do that now on our cruises. I bring a supply of 2 per day for the length of the cruise. If the Captain indicates that the seas are expected to be 6 to 10 feet or higher, I take a Bonine. I take 2 per day unless the seas get higher than that, and I take an extra one. I try to never have the sea sickness come on, and I've endured seas that I've never expected to make it through without seasickness, and have even been able to eat. 

If you have only experienced seasickness during the day when out of sight of land, the glasses might work, and would be worth a try to prevent taking a medication. Bonine  has the least side effects for me. 

We're doing a quickie 7 night cruise from Vancouver to Vancouver with Alaska in the middle.  We could hit some rocky seas but not sure.  We will almost definitely have some rough waters during our transatlantic crossing in November so should be able to post something in during one of those cruises.

Looking at the Amazon brand from China and the one a few of us purchased for a lot more money, there are several differences - especially the level of the fluid inside of the "rings".  

We have two different kinds of "glasses" so we will try both and will report back.

I’d rather be seasick than wear those bizarre regular eyeglasses (the sunglasses are ok)....

i just take Bonine starting two or three days before the cruise and wear sea bands. Never a problem...

1 hour ago, JPR said:

I’d rather be seasick than wear those bizarre regular eyeglasses (the sunglasses are ok)....

i just take Bonine starting two or three days before the cruise and wear sea bands. Never a problem...

You only need to wear the "bizarre" (agree with your description) for 20 minutes -- you would not be wearing them all over the ship.  And, if they work as advertised, you would not need them at night (but I would likely wear them for 20 minutes before going to sleep - at least until I learned how well they work).

Besides, if these work and catch on, many people will be wearing them.  I prefer taking anything that is not a medication that have side effects.

1 hour ago, JPR said:

I only take Bonine perhaps a day before, and only at the start of a cruise with sea days.  Then if we're going to be in rough weather, I try to take them in advance.  Since we're booked on a WC in 18 months, I can't imagine taking any medication for 117 days straight.  I'll definitely try these glasses if they get good reviews here.

(Edited to add: I have always known that being able to look at a far horizon is very helpful to me, although I admit I've woken up seasick a couple of times.)

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

There is a sale on the "real" Boarding Ring Glasses.  They are not inexpensive and no one that I know on CC has tried them yet but I would rather have these than the Chinese knock-offs.

http://r.news.boardingring.com/mk/mr/kidHX4z-KtT_Vm1jEHxO-YcxurPAtoUVeG7okdgGZmwjF8Z0V5oR07wkDSytG-1N6ICklUG_AHKzivSh4dVon5dwrqEjjy0__zZhqTvKwLVKOtawG9Gt1JyqMvRp7A

• 4 months later...

Ok thanks then I wait for your reports.

But we will be starting from 17.11. a cruise with the Costa Deliziosa at venezia.

Would have been nice if someone has real experience. You can not trust movies in Youtube.

There, the glasses are almost always praised.