Dublin tour starts at 59 Upper O'Connell St

We will be on Oceania Nautica in Dublin in September and I have found a private tour that leaves from 59 Upper O'Connell St.Ā  I need knowledgeable help on ways to get there. The tour starts at 11:00 am and we arrive at 8:00 so time should not be an issue.Ā  I do not know if Oceania has a shuttle in Dublin.Ā  This tour includes a free one loop on a hop on hop off at the conclusion of tour so that could get us to hopefully a shuttle stop?Ā  I do not want to book until I know there are no issues with getting to the start of tour and then back to ship!

Edited by rosegrower

• 2 weeks later...

Does your ship dock or tender?Ā  We are just off a NCL cruise and tendered at the farther port for Dublin, which is about 15 miles or so away from the city.Ā  It also depends on how long your ship stays.

Ā 

Tendering was a mess and we actually didn't get off the ship until 12:30.Ā  It worked out fine for us as we just got a train to Dublin and just walked all over, seeing the major sights.Ā  Some people missed their private tours.

Ā 

If you are docked and can get off fairly easily, I don't think an 11 AM tour would be a problem.Ā  We, however, wouldn't have made it.

I've not been on an Oceania cruise, but I've been on about 5 cruises that call at Dublin, and each time there has been a shuttle from the port to the city, so I don't see why Oceania would be any different.

Ā 

Our last cruise to Dublin was two weeks ago, and the shuttles are now dropping off and picking up in Merrion Square (just opposite the Oscar Wilde statue).

Ā 

It's about a 30 minute walk from Merrion Sq to O'Connell Street.

Ā 

When we got off the shuttle, we were surrounded by people selling HOHO tours, and they walk you to the HOHO bus stop just around the corner.

Ā 

We did a HOHO tour a couple of years ago, and they are very good.

Ā 

As an alternative, to your private tour, you could do the HOHO, get off at places that interest you.

Ā 

Dublin is a friendly, safe city, so its very easy to explore independentlyĀ 

Thanks for your reply!Ā  It is good to know we have another way to get to the tour starting point.Ā  The tour we want to take takes us out of Dublin to a castle and then Howth.Ā  We plan on doing the HOHO bus when we return.Ā  We are in Dublin until 10 pm. I guess I feel confident enough to book this tour now so thanks for the information!

We were in DublinĀ 3 weeks ago after Transatlantic Cruise. We took the dart from Connely station to Howth and were there for a few hours. Ā Was a miserable day but enjoyed our time. Ā If the castle is Malahide, it is in the same direction as Howth. Ā Can take DART to both with just a change of trains. Ā Can do it on your own. Ā I bought a 24 hour leap card. Ā 

We ended at Dublin and a lot of taxis this year. Ā 

• 1 month later...

I presume the castle is Malahide castle. If you wanted to do things on a budget, you could get a Leap card (cost 5 euro) top it up with 10 euro credit. get the 42 bus from the city centre which passes Malahide castle, get the 102 bus from Malahide to Sutton Station, about a 400 metre walk from where you could then pick up the 31 bus out to Howth.

Bus back into Dublin. If you stick to buses, the daily Leap card cap, no matter how many buses you use, is 6.90.

Ā 

There is also a castle in Howth.

Edited by newgrange

Thanks newgrange but tickets already booked and to complicate matters OH has damaged his knee so taking the line of least resistance.

At least knee is improving and tour isn't until August.

Useful information neverthelessĀ šŸ˜€

3 hours ago, Glenndale said:

We have this tour booked for August and think we will probably just take a taxi from the port to O'Connell Street as our tour starts at 9:30.

Ā 

Please come back on when you return and let us know how the tour was and if the taxi was a good option. Hope your husbands knee continues to improve!Ā 

3 minutes ago, rosegrower said:

Please come back on when you return and let us know how the tour was and if the taxi was a good option. Hope your husbands knee continues to improve!Ā 

I will.

It seems we will be sharing a cruise on Riviera at the end of MarchĀ šŸ™‚

Thanks! Yes we are on that cruise!Ā  I am so excited about the Trans Atlantic one that I have been researching the ports for that one, when I should be working on booking our transports from airport to Southampton and back to London for post cruise for the September British Isles cruise!Ā  My project for today.

On 7/15/2019 at 6:20 AM, Glenndale said:

We have this tour booked for August and think we will probably just take a taxi from the port to O'Connell Street as our tour starts at 9:30.

Ā 

We docked in Dublin in June on Celebrity Reflection and had no trouble getting a taxi at the port to O'Connell St for a 10 am tour departure.

• 3 weeks later...