Havana- book my own or with the cruise?

EMOSEA

There are two things that I want to do in Havana - ride in a classic car and go to the Tropicana show. I generally like doing the cruise tours even though they are more pricey than finding one on your own. the peace of mind is a fine price to pay for me. 

If you've done a Carnival cruise to Cuba, what tours did you do and how did you like it? 

If you've gone on your own in Havana, I would love to hear about that too! 

Cuba is an odd-duck type of port for USA citizens. First off you will need a Travel Visa ($75 fee if you go through the cruise line to secure it for you) in addition to a passport book that is valid for 6 months past the last scheduled date of your visit. Next to be able to get off the ship in Havana you will need a pre-arranged sponsor, this can either be achieved with a cruise line bought excursion or with a local cultural/educational liaison. Next USA $ are no good here, as part of the debarking process prior to your excursion, cultural enrichment tour, or voluntourism experience you will need to exchange your money at the cruise terminal.Upon return to the terminal you can exchange the money back. This is not a port you can just decide as the ship docks to get off and explore on your own or even secure a "on dock" tour. Passengers from other countries have an easier time. Like Canadians can come and go from the ship as they please and do not need to have pre-arrangements for a sponsor.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

Appreciate the information.  With all of the hassle involved, I can scratch Cuba off my possible bucket list locations.

I think it sounds more difficult than it really is. The reason I picked cruising to Cuba is they take care of all the nitty gritty details with the special visa and people-to-people tours. Otherwise, bringing a passport and exchanging currency when you arrive is standard around the world, outside of a cruise where those things are more lax. 

12 hours ago, maryred said:

Next to be able to get off the ship in Havana you will need a pre-arranged sponsor, this can either be achieved with a cruise line bought excursion or with a local cultural/educational liaison.  Not True

. This is not a port you can just decide as the ship docks to get off and explore on your own or even secure a "on dock" tour. 

Yes you can

Passengers from other countries have an easier time. Like Canadians can come and go from the ship as they please and do not need to have pre-arrangements for a sponsor.  Anyone can come and go as they wish

The cruise lines try to convince you that you MUST use the "People to People" option on your affidavit and therefore book their official tours.

Actually, you can use the "Support of the Cuban People" option on the affidavit, and as long as you keep track of what you do, and do not patronize any official Government entities you are fine to do as you please.

We are booked with a private tour guide (Blexie) for our trip, which includes walking tours and a classic car driving tour and also purchased tickets - online - for the Tropicana show, in US Dollars.

Go to the Cuba forum and do some research.  You ARE NOT limited to paying 3x the price and using the cruise line's excursions.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, maryred said:

Cuba is an odd-duck type of port for USA citizens. First off you will need a Travel Visa ($75 fee if you go through the cruise line to secure it for you) in addition to a passport book that is valid for 6 months past the last scheduled date of your visit.

Next to be able to get off the ship in Havana you will need a pre-arranged sponsor, Not true this can either be achieved with a cruise line bought excursion or with a local cultural/educational liaison.

Next USA $ are no good here, Not true. More places all the time will accept USD as part of the debarking process prior to your excursion, cultural enrichment tour, or voluntourism experience you will need to exchange your money at the cruise terminal.Upon return to the terminal you can exchange the money back.

This is not a port you can just decide as the ship docks to get off and explore on your own or even secure a "on dock" tour.  Absolutely not true. You are free to come and go as you please , and yes, you can find a driver or guide right outside the terminal 

Passengers from other countries have an easier time. Like Canadians can come and go from the ship as they please and do not need to have pre-arrangements for a sponsor. Where on earth did this utter nonsense come from???? No one, be it ship personnel or Cuban citizens, care where you live. 

Please get the facts straight before posting.. I've been 3 times now on a ship, but I have seen more fiction on this site around visiting Cuba than anywhere else.

If you don't wish to go, don't , but do not spread lies in hopes of discouraging others.

• Like 4

I've been to Cuba once on a ship and once on our own (flew in and stayed 2 nights and 3 days). Having the extra day and a half vs the day and overnight most cruises have was the biggest pro of going on your own and not on a cruise ship. It was nice to tour at a slower pace and we saw more, ate more, drank more than you could ever see on a cruise. 

The major upside to the cruise is the accommodation-- even some of the top places in Havana from a hotel perspective are extremely dated and uncomfortable, not to mention expensive. We stayed for 2 nights at the Hotel Nacional and the hotel rooms were a dump-- literally had not been renovated since the 1960s aside from the flat screen tv. The hotel room was US $500 a night-- you can stay at the St Regis in New York for that. The cost of the hotel was sort of offset by the fact that nothing else really cost that much-- food, drinks, even the tours were well below what they would be in the US for something comparable.

If I were going back? I would most likely find a cruise with the longest stay in Havana I could and make the most of it. But thats said from the perspective of someone who had a full 3 days of touring there so I wouldn't feel like I was missing out on much.  

• Like 1

I booked a private tour with Blexie cuban tours  (his email is blexie100588@gmail.com  )  Private car (there is your old car ride) and a guide for 6 hours was $130 CUP's for up to 3 people. ( 3 people or 1 person, price is the same)  The guide really knew his history,  English was excellent.  Took me every place I wanted to go.    They have a standard tour of places to take you if you don't have special places you want to go.  I am going back on Carnival in 2 weeks and have booked with him again. I have a new list for him.  He has several guides working for him.  If you go to the Cuba boards you will find others that will vouch for Blexie also. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 7:25 AM, SNJCruisers said:

Appreciate the information.  With all of the hassle involved, I can scratch Cuba off my possible bucket list locations.

Havana had always been on my bucket list also.  Just off CCL Sensation.  The visa is supplied by the cruise line for $75 - it is charged to your sail and sign card.  We marked the "Support the Cuban people" as requested by the Havana Journeys private tour we took. (classic car/walking tour of Old Havana - highly recommend - wrote review on TripAdvisor)  It was very easy getting off the ship, through immigration and through money exchange.  Took us less than 30 minutes from start to finish.  The only place that we saw that accepted dollars was the family-run restaurant we ate at for lunch, and one souveneir store.  Otherwise everything was CUC.  I would not take Cuba off your bucket list - especially with possible travel sanctions in the future.  Go for it - I am so glad we did!

• Like 2

Blexie tours will set you up with the classic convertible car tour and also take you to/from the Tropicana for way cheaper than the ship.  You absolutely can get off and on the ship without proof of having arranged a tour with or without the ship.  You are supposed to keep records of what you did for 5 years, but no one is quizzing you on the itinerary when you get off the ship--because Cuba doesn't care--it is the US who put those rules into play.

• Like 1

Thankfully everyone else has corrected the misinformation supplied by maryred. Its so easy to just walk off the ship, submit your visa, exchange your money and be on your way. You can pre-arrange tours with local operators, or there are taxis available, some with the classic cars. 

Cuba was amazing and I can't wait to go back. I wandered the city, talked with the locals, enjoyed the street food, and danced the night away at local pubs. Next time I will definitely book one of the classic cars. I did a couple of free walking tours with Strawberry Tours. It was a great introduction to the city and just whet my appetite to explore even more. I would much rather spend my time engaging with the locals rather than ride in a bus staring out the window, but that's just me. 

• Like 1

I recommend you to contact Stefano from HC Tours ( Havana Car) at www.havanacar.net.

He replied me immediately and provided me all the required info to set up the tour in less than 30 minutes. We ended up booking a 6 hours combo tour, which was divided into a 3 hours ride in a classic convertible car around the modern part of the City and a 3 hours walking tour in the Heritage center and it was truly amazing.

Stefano provided me an invoice with the tour details and explained me I had to choose the support to cuban people category to get off easier from the ship.

We did not even have to show the invoice.

The price we paid was a fraction of the price the cruise was asking for 4 persons and we could experience our day in Havana the way we wanted without being in a rush or follow a standard itinerary.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 12:20 AM, maryred said:

Cuba is an odd-duck type of port for USA citizens. First off you will need a Travel Visa ($75 fee if you go through the cruise line to secure it for you) in addition to a passport book that is valid for 6 months past the last scheduled date of your visit. Next to be able to get off the ship in Havana you will need a pre-arranged sponsor, this can either be achieved with a cruise line bought excursion or with a local cultural/educational liaison. Next USA $ are no good here, as part of the debarking process prior to your excursion, cultural enrichment tour, or voluntourism experience you will need to exchange your money at the cruise terminal.Upon return to the terminal you can exchange the money back. This is not a port you can just decide as the ship docks to get off and explore on your own or even secure a "on dock" tour. Passengers from other countries have an easier time. Like Canadians can come and go from the ship as they please and do not need to have pre-arrangements for a sponsor.

When was the last time you went to Cuba or at all?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wideross said:

I recommend you to contact Stefano from HC Tours ( Havana Car) at www.havanacar.net.

He replied me immediately and provided me all the required info to set up the tour in less than 30 minutes. We ended up booking a 6 hours combo tour, which was divided into a 3 hours ride in a classic convertible car around the modern part of the City and a 3 hours walking tour in the Heritage center and it was truly amazing.

Stefano provided me an invoice with the tour details and explained me I had to choose the support to cuban people category to get off easier from the ship.

We did not even have to show the invoice.

The price we paid was a fraction of the price the cruise was asking for 4 persons and we could experience our day in Havana the way we wanted without being in a rush or follow a standard itinerary.

I also booked Stafano from HC tours. I did not put  support cuban people category on paper work. I will be cruising on the NCL Sun. Will this be a problem?

19 hours ago, lovacruz said:

I also booked Stafano from HC tours. I did not put  support cuban people category on paper work. I will be cruising on the NCL Sun. Will this be a problem?

I don't think is a problem as for cuban immigration officers it doesn't make any difference. You should keep the invoice they provide you for the next 5 years for your affidavit records.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also cruising on the NCL Sun. I was told by the NCL agent who booked me on my cruise that we NEED to use "people to people" category. I know it's probably because they want us to book one of their excursions, but has anyone here sailed with NCL and been given a hard time for putting "support the Cuban people" when they have booked a private tour? Do I need to show NCL the emails confirming our private tour if we choose the "support the Cuban people" category?

4 hours ago, moobear67 said:

I'm also cruising on the NCL Sun. I was told by the NCL agent who booked me on my cruise that we NEED to use "people to people" category. I know it's probably because they want us to book one of their excursions, but has anyone here sailed with NCL and been given a hard time for putting "support the Cuban people" when they have booked a private tour? Do I need to show NCL the emails confirming our private tour if we choose the "support the Cuban people" category?

I’ve been twice, on the Sun and Sky, never had a problem with NCL regarding what I put on the form or requiring one of their excursions.  Both times we booked private tours and just walked off the ship, while the poor fools that believed the NCL marketing were still sitting in the lounge waiting for their ship tour to be called.

We were never asked by an NCL employee to show the form, its something you are supposed to keep for 5 years in case the US State Dept questions you, like that is ever likely to happen, lol.  I tossed mine in the recycle when I got home.

The private tours are better for attending the evening shows, you won’t be herded there on a bus and rushed out before the end.  Just realize the shows are old and dated, nothing has changed there since the 60s except the performers are older, much older.  We enjoyed the young dancers that accompanied the tired old singers, at the end of the show everyone was encouraged to come on stage and dance, they had the conga line snake through the audience.

2 hours ago, smithop said:

I’ve been twice, on the Sun and Sky, never had a problem with NCL regarding what I put on the form or requiring one of their excursions.  Both times we booked private tours and just walked off the ship, while the poor fools that believed the NCL marketing were still sitting in the lounge waiting for their ship tour to be called.

We were never asked by an NCL employee to show the form, its something you are supposed to keep for 5 years in case the US State Dept questions you, like that is ever likely to happen, lol.  I tossed mine in the recycle when I got home.

The private tours are better for attending the evening shows, you won’t be herded there on a bus and rushed out before the end.  Just realize the shows are old and dated, nothing has changed there since the 60s except the performers are older, much older.  We enjoyed the young dancers that accompanied the tired old singers, at the end of the show everyone was encouraged to come on stage and dance, they had the conga line snake through the audience.

OK, thank you so much! The "rule follower" in me feels much better now! 

I just got back from Cuba (I was there Monday)  this is my 2nd trip  I was there last year on NCL Sky,  this year on Carnival.  I booked a private tour both times  (Havana tours with Blexie - $130 for up to 3 passengers in an old car for 6 hours,  they will take you where ever you want to go,  they also have a plan of where to take you if you do not have a plan.)

The ships are just trying to sell you something.  No one cares where you are going as you get off the ship,  they don't ask you and immigration in Cuba does not care either,  they just care you have the visa .

I heard from others they felt from the ships that they did not have a choice.  To do the P to P you must do a ship tour, But you can go on your own with the Support of the Cuban people choice. 

On 5/30/2019 at 12:56 AM, moobear67 said:

I think the "administration" is making you mark PtoP  so mark PtoP.... and go on your private tour.  That is what I did this week for my cuban visa, I had no problem leaving the ship coming into cuba. 

A little late since all cruises have stopped, but if they start again the way to go is private with FerTours 2 Havana.  They were great for a 2 day tour.   Good luck