Getting from San Francisco pier to Fisherman’s wharf

bostonfred

Hi, we will be on Star Princess overnighting in S.F. On 18/28/2019. Never been to S.F.before. How far is pier from Fisherman’s Wharf and downtown, and what are options to get there. Also, any tips on visiting Alcatraz, how to purchase tickets and how far in advance can we purchase them? Should we book independently or use a tour company.....thanks, all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

A little reading on this board, and Google Mapping, would be very beneficial.

The pier for Alcatraz is about a 1/4 mile walk, tops. As discussed here frequently, you need to book Alcatraz 90 days in advance to assure getting your choice of times. It looks like you are here in October (18/28/19???), which will have a little lower demand...but still very popular. No need to do a tour, unless the tour add some value...some other location as well. Very easy to do on your own. You need to use the official website...be careful of the deceptive ones.

https://www.alcatrazcruises.com/

Fisherman's Wharf is about half mile or so away...flat walk.

As to other sites, you need to be more specific. "Downtown" is a very broad area, some of which has little or tourist value. But Uber/Lyft is very popular in SF, and there is good public transit, like the expensive cable cars.

41 minutes ago, oilsand said:

just did this . shared shuttles like supershuttle and SF airport shuttles would well and cheaper than a taxi depending on number of pax

Respectfully, I don't think your reply is for this topic?.... OP is asking how to get to Fisherman's Wharf - airport shuttles don't come into question..

• 5 weeks later...

We just did the Ruby Princess Coastal in March of this year.  As we got off the ship, and were ready to walk to Pier 39/Fisherman's wharf....we were delighted to find a free shuttle waiting right there.  Only runs in the morning, but it certainly made our trip just a little better. 

Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf are nothing but tourists and shops for tourists.  San Franciscans NEVER go there.  A total waste of your time IMO.  I'd do some research and figure some better places to go.

14 minutes ago, clo said:

Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf are nothing but tourists and shops for tourists.  San Franciscans NEVER go there.  A total waste of your time IMO.  I'd do some research and figure some better places to go.

Perhaps, but they are pretty much "right there" and can fill up part of a 2-day port stop in San Francisco. As locals in our own home towns, there are places we would never go but tourists find them charming and they end up on many bucket lists. 😊

10 hours ago, Langley Cruisers said:

Perhaps, but they are pretty much "right there" and can fill up part of a 2-day port stop in San Francisco. As locals in our own home towns, there are places we would never go but tourists find them charming and they end up on many bucket lists. 😊

Oh, I know about other cities.  But truly those two are worthless.  Well, worthless when there are dozens (at least) of things to see and do.  And SF has good public transpo.   Check out some of these for starters:  https://travel.usnews.com/San_Francisco_CA/Things_To_Do/

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 5:55 AM, bostonfred said:

Hi, we will be on Star Princess overnighting in S.F. On 18/28/2019. Never been to S.F.before. How far is pier from Fisherman’s Wharf and downtown, and what are options to get there. Also, any tips on visiting Alcatraz, how to purchase tickets and how far in advance can we purchase them? Should we book independently or use a tour company.....thanks, all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Since you will be in SF starting noon, and have a stay-over until 11:00pm the next day, I suggest the following self- tour:

( I attached a map of the Walking Tour I'm suggesting ).

1st, check out China Town, and have some lunch there.  I have a favorite Chinese restaurant, Kam Lok, that resides in the basement on Washington Street and had great food at good prices.  Mostly locals eat there.  Tourists generally do not know about this place.

Right near the restaurant is Ross Alley where you can visit the Golden Gate Fortune Cookie Factory.

There is a lot to see in China Town if you have not been there before.

Up the street on Washington is the Cable Car Power House and Museum.  You can see the engines that power the cables for the cable cars, and see a lot of history.

From there, you can catch the Powell/Hyde Cable Car to Ghirardelli Square if you have not ridden a cable car before.  If you do not have an interest, then you can walk there... it's all down hill.

Visit Ghirardelli Chocolate for some treats... or ice cream.  You can then walk the water front to Fisherman's Wharf and to Pier 39.

For your 2nd day in SF, I suggest booking Alcatraz in advance...  it's a great tour.

Cruise San Francisco Tour.docx

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2019 at 9:03 PM, clo said:

Locals do go there--whenever we host out-of-towners!  They always want to go there.  We take them to see the seals, crab stands, the arcade museum and get the touristy sourdough bread (the crab-shaped loaf is always a hit!).

OP, you are close enough to walk to the pier and Fishermans Wharf.  You can then catch a cable car and head downtown.

1 hour ago, disneyochem said:

Locals do go there--whenever we host out-of-towners!  They always want to go there.  We take them to see the seals, crab stands, the arcade museum and get the touristy sourdough bread (the crab-shaped loaf is always a hit!).

Thank you for saying this. I thought yours was a kind comment. 😊😊😊

On 5/13/2019 at 5:55 AM, bostonfred said:

Hi Fred,

Just an FYI We have a roll call going for this cruise.

Mary

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, erin6494 said:

Hello!  Is there somewhere convenient to store luggage?  Our flight is late afternoon and we would love to explore a bit before heading to the airport.

If you can lug n roll your luggage to the Welcome Center at Pier 39 they have luggage storage.

https://www.pier39.com/pier-info/frequently-asked-questions/#1474930153957-7897bd7d-c9dd