Homewood Suites Edgewater in NJ and NY Waterway transportation

bbscott01

We are contemplating a cruise out of Manhattan and were looking at staying at the Homewood Suites by Hilton Edgewater in NJ.  For 3 adults and 2 kids with a 2 bed suite with separate pull out couch the cost is under $300.  It includes free parking and transportation to/from the NY Waterway Port Imperial Ferry Terminal.  The  Port Imperial Terminal to Midtown W39th terminal cost isn't bad at $9 for an adult and cheaper/free for kids depending on age and runs every 20 minutes on the weekend.  Looking at the map it looks like the Midtown W39th terminal is less than a mile from the cruise terminal.  I have a couple questions:

1.  Has anyone ever done the NY Waterway Ferry's to get to the Cruise port and how is the seating/space if we are wheeling on 4 large suit cases between the 3 adults?

2.  Any need to purchase the tickets in advance?  If they typically don't sell out would prefer just to wait until we get there in case something unexpected happens in the morning.

3.  Is it an easy walk to get over to the terminal from W39th?  We are sailing Disney so I think it is Piers 88 or 90.

4.  Do the Piers have their own terminal or do all Piers have one terminal and then they disperse from there?

5.  Any other tips/tricks/points to consider from people who have done this with kids?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven’t done this trip. Folks have done this trip and have not experienced issues.

Having said that:

1) Previous posts have not referred to problems with space on the ferry.  I would avoid the inbound rush hours.

2) No need to buy tickets ahead.

Can’t comment on 3, 4, and 5

Homewood Suites does not list a park/cruise package on their website.  How did you find this offer of free parking for your cruise plus ferry transportation?  It sounds like a good deal.  Other options are the Hilton Garden and Hampton Inn cruise Packages in Ridgefield Park and Fairfield Inn in North Bergen which drop you off and pick you up at the cruise terminal.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 2:04 PM, bbscott01 said:

We are contemplating a cruise out of Manhattan and were looking at staying at the Homewood Suites by Hilton Edgewater in NJ.  For 3 adults and 2 kids with a 2 bed suite with separate pull out couch the cost is under $300.  It includes free parking and transportation to/from the NY Waterway Port Imperial Ferry Terminal.  The  Port Imperial Terminal to Midtown W39th terminal cost isn't bad at $9 for an adult and cheaper/free for kids depending on age and runs every 20 minutes on the weekend.  Looking at the map it looks like the Midtown W39th terminal is less than a mile from the cruise terminal.  I have a couple questions:

1.  Has anyone ever done the NY Waterway Ferry's to get to the Cruise port and how is the seating/space if we are wheeling on 4 large suit cases between the 3 adults?  My wife & I have taken the ferry between Port Imperial and 39th Street on a number of occasions with luggage.  We have always found adequate space on board.  Moreover, boarding and disembarking the ferry is easy -- there are no steps, just a short ramp up to / down from the ferry.

2.  Any need to purchase the tickets in advance?  If they typically don't sell out would prefer just to wait until we get there in case something unexpected happens in the morning. No need to purchase tickets in advance.  You can easily purchase your tickets at the Port Imperial terminal before boarding--you'll see the ticket windows as soon as you enter the terminal.  (If I recall correctly, there are also ticket machines.)

3.  Is it an easy walk to get over to the terminal from W39th?  We are sailing Disney so I think it is Piers 88 or 90. It's about a 10-15 minutes' walk.  Turn left when you exit the 39th Street terminal and just follow the sidewalk/ walkway.  One important thing is to watch out for cyclists.  There is a bicycle lane immediately adjacent to the pedestrian walkway, and it is always busy with cyclists riding in both directions.  Be careful to stay on the pedestrian path!

4.  Do the Piers have their own terminal or do all Piers have one terminal and then they disperse from there?  Each pier has its own pedestrian entrance. The entrance to pier 88 is at 48th Street; the entrance to pier 90 is at 50th Street. You can't miss them.

5.  Any other tips/tricks/points to consider from people who have done this with kids?  Haven't done this with kids, but just be sure to keep them on the pedestrian sidewalk and off the bike lanes!  There are usually quite a few pedestrians on the walkway, especially around the area near the entrance to the Intrepid Air/Space Museum, where tourists tend to congregate, so you may have to wend your way around people who are just lollygagging and getting in your way. Not really a problem, in my experience.  

Here's the route on Google Maps:  

https://goo.gl/maps/Zz6haWeJDZKAAMnR7

You might also want to check the route on streetview, just to familiarize yourself with how it looks on the ground. 

Edited by Post Captain

19 minutes ago, Post Captain said:

Here's the route on Google Maps:  

https://goo.gl/maps/Zz6haWeJDZKAAMnR7

You might also want to check the route on streetview, just to familiarize yourself with how it looks on the ground. 

Thanks, this is awesome details! 

I did use streetview and the couple things that confused me is as I got closer to the Cruise Pier I could see the bike path but couldn't tell if there was something different for walkers or if we just had to dodge them along the way so it is good to know there is a pedestrian path as well.  Also on streetview it looked like the gates were closed for the piers we would be leaving from but assumed they would be open on cruise departure days.

31 minutes ago, 138east said:

I haven’t done this trip. Folks have done this trip and have not experienced issues.

Having said that:

1) Previous posts have not referred to problems with space on the ferry.  I would avoid the inbound rush hours.

2) No need to buy tickets ahead.

Can’t comment on 3, 4, and 5

Homewood Suites does not list a park/cruise package on their website.  How did you find this offer of free parking for your cruise plus ferry transportation?  It sounds like a good deal.  Other options are the Hilton Garden and Hampton Inn cruise Packages in Ridgefield Park and Fairfield Inn in North Bergen which drop you off and pick you up at the cruise terminal.

Just to clarify, the Homewood Suites provides free covered parking in a garage at least during when we are staying.  What I haven't done but should do is confirm that I can leave my car there for the week after and verify if it is free or what the cost would be.  So thanks for questioning me as I will have to call them at some point to confirm!

For transportation the hotel provides a free car shuttle from the hotel to the Port Imperial Terminal and back.  It will be on us to pay the $9 Ferry ride ticket each way.

3 minutes ago, bbscott01 said:

Thanks, this is awesome details! 

I did use streetview and the couple things that confused me is as I got closer to the Cruise Pier I could see the bike path but couldn't tell if there was something different for walkers or if we just had to dodge them along the way so it is good to know there is a pedestrian path as well.  Also on streetview it looked like the gates were closed for the piers we would be leaving from but assumed they would be open on cruise departure days.

Yes, the walkway is somewhat narrow for about the last hundred feet or so before you reach the pier 88 gate, but the pedestrian lane and the bike lane are still two separate and distinct lanes--they are well marked, but you just have to be alert, watch your step, and keep on the pedestrian pathway. 

The gates are closed in this particular streetview picture (no ship in port at the time), but they are open whenever there is a ship docked at the pier.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bbscott01 said:

Just to clarify, the Homewood Suites provides free covered parking in a garage at least during when we are staying.  What I haven't done but should do is confirm that I can leave my car there for the week after and verify if it is free or what the cost would be.  So thanks for questioning me as I will have to call them at some point to confirm!

For transportation the hotel provides a free car shuttle from the hotel to the Port Imperial Terminal and back.  It will be on us to pay the $9 Ferry ride ticket each way.

Settle the parking question ASAP.  Parking at the pier is $40/day.  Parking at Port Imperial is $20/day (need to confirm that).  Check the hotels I suggested - rooms for 5 people are tough.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/31/2019 at 9:26 PM, Heather1972 said:

Have you checked on the parking situation at the hotel for after your initial stay?

I finally called and as others have suspected parking is free for your hotel stay but you can't leave your car there for a week while you go on a cruise.