Be very careful in Barcelona

1 hour ago, ljandgb said:

Just got back from 4 days in Barcelona, rode public transit exclusively, and had no problems.  I use a Pacsafe crossbody purse, frequently with my hand resting on it.  We also usually avoid the really high density tourist areas where it can be hard to stay completely aware of who is next to you.

As for the orange, our county jail inmates wear orange jumpsuits, and even orange Croc type shoes.  

Great idea with the Pacsafe purse, I also use mine when in the States. Although I must say I'm going to use an undergarment bag when I head to Barcelona this year, with Allure of the Seas. Can't be too safe! Cruise on everyone and be aware of your surroundings not have your head in your phone!

Edited by Lorenzago

Well, it would be hard to "steal" a bag that is slung across my body.  I could be mugged and it taken by force, but the likelihood of that is low enough I'm willing to risk it. I like to have a bag to keep a water bottle, hand sanitizer, my daughter's epi pens, and the other random things that moms carry around.  Even then, I don't carry my passport, large amounts of money, or more than one credit card regardless in the bag.  The zipper locks to the strap, the strap is also slash proof. My bag has a lock on the strap that allows me to weave it into then lock the strap onto a chair, etc, if I'm in a cafe, so as long as I remember to do that, if it is off my body, it's still as secure as possible.  Our last cruise, I did travel with a money belt for those times when I had to transport a large amount of cash for paying for tours at the time of service.

• Like 1

We love Barcelona and fortunately for us haven't had any problems and have been there numerous times in last couples years (we were just there in april land trip for few days and going back in 3 weeks day precruise & 4 days post cruise)  We always keep eye contact and are aware of our surroundings at all times.  I wear a Scottevest security travel vest and thats where my passport/money and valuables go (Orvis makes some too now). Everything is in the inside of vest in secret compartments and zippered.  I wear over dress in summer since I have the lightweight ones and under jacket in cooler weather.  It gives me piece of mind and I don't stand out to thieves.  Also, no jewelry since i don't want to draw attention to myself(if I have my wedding rings on they get turned into my hand and hand closed over something else or in pocket If I am in area concerned.  My husband and I both traveled extensively thru Spain, Italy and Germany in April thru trains and not one problem.  We wear EBags brand backpacks for suitcases and secure with locks so that to thieves see it and move on since not an easy target (even though nothing of value in there we don't draw attention to ourselves by leaving unlocked )  We've seen pickpockets trying to unzip bags of unsuspecting people which of course we tell them.  If I want to carry a purse I carry a slash proof pacsafe one and that is my decoy as I joke because nothing of value in there since everything in my vest.  For my canon Rebel (I know someone asked a couple pages ago) I have a slash proof sling (made by Pacsafe)that screws into base of camera.  Easily seen that hard to get and no one has bothered me so far.  We usually stay on Las Ramblas or Gothic area so we are moving around all hours of the night and never have been too worried.  I really do believe if you make eye contact because you aware of your surroundings is a deterrent and have seen some move on that I thought might be a problem.  Its funny to watch people moving thru gothic area and as soon as get close to Las Ramblas (locals too) everyone is switching backpacks and purses to the front with a hand on to not make themselves a target.  So enjoy Barcelona it really is a beautiful place but be aware and take precautions with your valuables like you would Rome or Venice.

Edited by caribnsnrklr

On 6/14/2019 at 11:57 AM, konatyme said:

We will be doing a Med cruise in 2020 and have been reading all the posts about security.  My question has to do with cameras.  We of course want to take pictures of all the beautiful sites, but I'm very concerned about how to secure our cameras. We have a Canon DSLR and a small video camera. Although each has a case that we ordinarily use, I'm assuming we're going to need something more secure.  Are there slash-proof camera cases that anyone can recommend? And will that be enough? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Look at Pacsafe brand .  I have their sling for my canon rebel that screws into camera and slash proof.  They also make cases too.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/27/2019 at 11:03 PM, caribnsnrklr said:

We love Barcelona and fortunately for us haven't had any problems and have been there numerous times in last couples years (we were just there in april land trip for few days and going back in 3 weeks day precruise & 4 days post cruise)  We always keep eye contact and are aware of our surroundings at all times.  I wear a Scottevest security travel vest and thats where my passport/money and valuables go (Orvis makes some too now). Everything is in the inside of vest in secret compartments and zippered.  I wear over dress in summer since I have the lightweight ones and under jacket in cooler weather.  It gives me piece of mind and I don't stand out to thieves.  Also, no jewelry since i don't want to draw attention to myself(if I have my wedding rings on they get turned into my hand and hand closed over something else or in pocket If I am in area concerned.  My husband and I both traveled extensively thru Spain, Italy and Germany in April thru trains and not one problem.  We wear EBags brand backpacks for suitcases and secure with locks so that to thieves see it and move on since not an easy target (even though nothing of value in there we don't draw attention to ourselves by leaving unlocked )  We've seen pickpockets trying to unzip bags of unsuspecting people which of course we tell them.  If I want to carry a purse I carry a slash proof pacsafe one and that is my decoy as I joke because nothing of value in there since everything in my vest.  For my canon Rebel (I know someone asked a couple pages ago) I have a slash proof sling (made by Pacsafe)that screws into base of camera.  Easily seen that hard to get and no one has bothered me so far.  We usually stay on Las Ramblas or Gothic area so we are moving around all hours of the night and never have been too worried.  I really do believe if you make eye contact because you aware of your surroundings is a deterrent and have seen some move on that I thought might be a problem.  Its funny to watch people moving thru gothic area and as soon as get close to Las Ramblas (locals too) everyone is switching backpacks and purses to the front with a hand on to not make themselves a target.  So enjoy Barcelona it really is a beautiful place but be aware and take precautions with your valuables like you would Rome or Venice.

You should be cruising about now so hopefully you had a wonderful time. I've commented on this thread earlier but now that my trip is almost two weeks away, I am becoming more and more nervous, especially after reading a review on trip advisor about my hotel and seeing this:  Safety reminder: we were robbed in the early morning 6:30am on our way from hotel to tour meeting spot. Couple teenagers robbed our phone straight off my husband's hand and ran away. Stay alert if you head out in early morning or late evenings. Be careful when using google map on your phone.

Now I now this personally probably had their heads in their phones looking for the meeting point of their tour but man....it just feeds my paranoia.  It makes me scared to take a camera or phone out to take a picture.   I went ahead and purchased to different types of money belts: the usual type you see when doing a search on Amazon with two belt straps and two pockets in the front. But then I also got an EazyMate travel running belt - it's made more of spandex material and after wearing both of them, I seem to like it more than the usual money belt. I also got a travel belt wallet the loops around your belt and tucks inside your pants for my bf.  

Also - do you guys feel safe leaving your passports and other things of value in your hotel safe while on tours? Couldn't the maids or staff just open the safe and take it while you're on your tour?

12 hours ago, erby2283 said:

Also - do you guys feel safe leaving your passports and other things of value in your hotel safe while on tours? Couldn't the maids or staff just open the safe and take it while you're on your tour?

Yes, they could! Anywhere in the world they could, but do they?

One of the reasons that room doors should be left open when rooms are being serviced.

14 hours ago, erby2283 said:

You should be cruising about now so hopefully you had a wonderful time. I've commented on this thread earlier but now that my trip is almost two weeks away, I am becoming more and more nervous, especially after reading a review on trip advisor about my hotel and seeing this:  Safety reminder: we were robbed in the early morning 6:30am on our way from hotel to tour meeting spot. Couple teenagers robbed our phone straight off my husband's hand and ran away. Stay alert if you head out in early morning or late evenings. Be careful when using google map on your phone.

Now I now this personally probably had their heads in their phones looking for the meeting point of their tour but man....it just feeds my paranoia.  It makes me scared to take a camera or phone out to take a picture.   I went ahead and purchased to different types of money belts: the usual type you see when doing a search on Amazon with two belt straps and two pockets in the front. But then I also got an EazyMate travel running belt - it's made more of spandex material and after wearing both of them, I seem to like it more than the usual money belt. I also got a travel belt wallet the loops around your belt and tucks inside your pants for my bf.  

Hi, yes we’re are traveling at moment and in Ibiza today. We were in Barcelona just a few days ago and we’re fine. Just keep alert. In the very early morning hours or late at night I would not be walking around with my valuables out and showcased. Be aware of where you are and if anyone is watching you. Not sure where you are staying but we have left our stuff in the safe before and if I felt concerned where we were ever staying obviously it stays on me in my vest or in slash proof crossbody in the front on my body with hand over. Like I said before, don’t make yourself a target and be aware of your surroundings and you will be fine. Have a wonderful trip. 

I live in a town of 7,000 people and was pickpocketed at the local Farm Fresh Milk store.  Luckily all they wanted was the cash and my wallet was found and returned to me later that day.  Don’t have to be in a big city for this to happen.  I am much more cautious now.

• Thanks 1

My two cents based on recent experience:  most of the strategies being discussed here are complete overkill.  If you are even the slightest bit aware of your surroundings, you won’t be a victim.  There are SO many people who have their faces buried in their phones with headphones, completely unaware of what’s going on around them.  These are the people who are easy targets.

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2019 at 11:52 AM, erby2283 said:

Thanks for posting this. I'm am so anxious about this when take my first trip to Barcelona and Italy in Aug. I am very friendly in nature and my bf has already warned my that I can't go talking to everyone like I do back home. He on the other hand is the exact opposite and doesn't think he needs to take precaution bc he's "very" aware of his surroundings and the first person who gets near him is gonna get punched in the face. I'm sure somewhere in between the two of us lies the mentality of where we need to be. 🙂

Try not to be anxious and just enjoy your experiences.  These scenarios happen all over Europe as well as Spain.  Remember not to wear any jewelry, not even rings.  Don't dangle an expensive camera around your neck, don't stop and pull out a map looking like a tourist and don't assume that only poor looking persons are pick pockets.   They come in all ages and even dress in professional business attire.  I know this because in Madrid, a man in a three piece suit was sliding his hand in my husband's front pocket while we were waiting for tickets.  Luckily I caught him and he walked quickly away.

It is always best to study where you want to walk to and have all your addresses available on your cell phone.  Walk with confidences and soak in the culture!

• Like 1