Viking river ship rules on hair accessories

Viajerosfelices

Please cruisers, I want to see if I can take my electrical styling brush on board. It has one side like a curling iron and the other side is a brush. I read curling irons are not allowed and although this has a one side shape of a curling iron, it is not considered one. I know they have blow dryers on board, but they dont work for me. If someone is one a river viking now, please help me by asking! I know it sounds silly, but I struggle alot with my hair and there is not a styling salon on the ship. I would really appreciate the help. Dont want to carry excess stuff if I cant use it! Thanks!

There have been multiple long threads on this very subject.  If do a search for "curling irons" you will find them.  The quick answer is "No, they are not allowed by Viking".  Any device that generates heat like a curling iron endangers the ship's electrical system.

6 hours ago, Viajerosfelices said:

Please cruisers, I want to see if I can take my electrical styling brush on board. It has one side like a curling iron and the other side is a brush. I read curling irons are not allowed and although this has a one side shape of a curling iron, it is not considered one. I know they have blow dryers on board, but they dont work for me. If someone is one a river viking now, please help me by asking! I know it sounds silly, but I struggle alot with my hair and there is not a styling salon on the ship. I would really appreciate the help. Dont want to carry excess stuff if I cant use it! Thanks!

The Viking River FAQ is full of helpful information and is a good place to start reading up about all of Viking's policies.  https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/frequently-asked-questions.html

I called viking (should have done this in the beginning!) and they told me no appliance that radiates heat is allowed, not even a blow dryer. They also do not let you take extension cords. This is for the river cruises. They said I could take it but it would have to be cleared when luggage is checked and if it is not allowed they would hold it until we disembarked. Also, they are going to have distilled water set up in my room because my husband uses a cpap machine. Very nice of them!

1 hour ago, sharkster77 said:

This is the first I have heard about Viking "checking" luggage.  Dear wife needs her curling iron for pre-cruise and post-cruise.  Confiscation doesn't sound like usual policy on Viking river.

Think about the number of times you've seen anyone mention that Viking have checked their bags. Then consider this: if someone asks Viking a direct question about using electric curling tongs etc on board they can hardly be expected to answer "No you can't, but we won't know unless you set your cabin on fire because we rarely if ever check anyone's baggage".

2 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

This is the first I have heard about Viking "checking" luggage.  Dear wife needs her curling iron for pre-cruise and post-cruise.  Confiscation doesn't sound like usual policy on Viking river.

Are you saying that checked and carry on bags don't go through security on Viking River?   We'll be taking our first Viking River cruise (in Europe) next year, and I find it hard to believe that they aren't screening luggage for prohibited items.   

If they are screening, and they do find something that's prohibited (because it's a safety risk), why wouldn't they confiscate it for the duration of the cruise?  That's what happens on ocean cruises.   It's for everyone's safety.

What I'm saying is this:  A prohibited item will not come alive, plug itself in, and turn itself on--a human has to do this.

If the item is in my luggage, never comes out and never sees the light of day, how has anyone been endangered?

Europe has 220V electrical service.  Have 110V devices been confiscated by hotels, because if used they may cause a fire?  I think not.

Maybe my frustration has to do with other adults not acting like adults, ignoring rules meant to protect them.

I didn't see any screening of luggage on Avalon. We brought the bags up the walkway, crew helped us to our cabin. From what I've read here, that's standard procedure for European river cruises.....

On 5/14/2019 at 12:58 AM, Peregrina651 said:

The Viking River FAQ is full of helpful information and is a good place to start reading up about all of Viking's policies.  https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/frequently-asked-questions.html

I'm taking my first river cruise and it happens to be with Viking. I have been on their ocean cruises. This is the first time I see information about no curling irons. I went on the FAQ site. We are taking our cruise after a wedding in Italy and I know I will need to pack my travel size curling iron for that segment of our trip. Will I be allowed to keep my curling iron when I get on our cruise. thanks for any information you can provide. Deborah

Edited by debrouillarde
word change

Per Viking FAQ's

Please note that heat-producing appliances, such as irons, steamers, curling irons and heaters, are potential safety hazards and therefore not permitted on board. Hair dryers are provided on board

• Like 1

What I'm saying is this:  A prohibited item will not come alive, plug itself in, and turn itself on--a human has to do this.

If the item is in my luggage, never comes out and never sees the light of day, how has anyone been endangered?

Obviously, all adults can be trusted to (1) know the rules, and (2) follow them.   Um, I think not.  That's why there's a list of things you can't bring on board ships.  This is for everyone's safety.   Fire on a ship is about the most dangerous thing that can happen. 

• Like 1

@Turtles06  I think we're going around in circles on this, but you're missing my point---if the wife's curling iron NEVER COMES OUT OF OUR LUGGAGE, HOW DOES IT ENDANGER ANYBODY?????

In your world, she should THROW IT AWAY before boarding the ship, then  go out and purchase another one for our post-cruise.  The thing is so evil in your mind that it will come to life and kill us all!!!!!

4 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

I didn't see any screening of luggage on Avalon. We brought the bags up the walkway, crew helped us to our cabin. From what I've read here, that's standard procedure for European river cruises.....

Avalon permits curling irons...  "You will need an adapter or converter to use in other outlets in the stateroom for any small personal items such as a razor, curling iron, or alarm clock. "  https://www.avalonwaterways.ca/Avalon-Cruises/FAQs/

Edited by Daisi

@Turtles06  I think we're going around in circles on this, but you're missing my point---if the wife's curling iron NEVER COMES OUT OF OUR LUGGAGE, HOW DOES IT ENDANGER ANYBODY?????

In your world, she should THROW IT AWAY before boarding the ship, then  go out and purchase another one for our post-cruise.  The thing is so evil in your mind that it will come to life and kill us all!!!!!

Oh come on, you are totally misreading what I wrote.   Of course there's no danger if something that's prohibited is not used, but a cruise line cannot chance that.   You know as well as I do that many people don't even know the rules let alone can be trusted to follow them.   Your wife no doubt is an exception, but the cruise line cannot know that.  That's why the rules on prohibited items are "don't bring them on board," not "don't use the following items..."

No one is telling your wife to throw anything away and nothing in my comment says she should.  Typically, when a prohibited item is found, it's confiscated for the duration of the cruise and given back at the end.  Problem solved.

10 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Oh come on, you are totally misreading what I wrote.   Of course there's no danger if something that's prohibited is not used, but a cruise line cannot chance that.   You know as well as I do that many people don't even know the rules let alone can be trusted to follow them.   Your wife no doubt is an exception, but the cruise line cannot know that.  That's why the rules on prohibited items are "don't bring them on board," not "don't use the following items..."

No one is telling your wife to throw anything away and nothing in my comment says she should.  Typically, when a prohibited item is found, it's confiscated for the duration of the cruise and given back at the end.  Problem solved.

So because some people are idiots, the rest have to be "punished".  I get it.

Let's be done with this foolishness.  I am.

Edited by sharkster77

6 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Are you saying that checked and carry on bags don't go through security on Viking River?   We'll be taking our first Viking River cruise (in Europe) next year, and I find it hard to believe that they aren't screening luggage for prohibited items.   

If they are screening, and they do find something that's prohibited (because it's a safety risk), why wouldn't they confiscate it for the duration of the cruise?  That's what happens on ocean cruises.   It's for everyone's safety.

If our recent Viking river cruise is any indication, there is no scanning of anything. There was no scanner on the ship. There was no terminal to greet guests, just 2 bright red Viking banners flanking the gangway.  Viking met us at the car and carried our bags on board. DH went on board with the luggage and the rest of us climbed back into the car to return it to the rental company. Check in was on board the ship.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

So because some people are idiots, the rest have to be "punished".  I get it.

Let's be done with this foolishness.  I am.

Things are getting slightly out of proportion in this thread, did you see my previous post? It's a reasonable assumption that Viking don't routinely screen bags: they don't have scanners at their boarding points and they don't have the resources to do it by hand.

If your DW has a blow torch or even a chain saw in her suitcase it won't matter because nobody will know so long as she leaves her 'dangerous' items in her suitcase. They only become an issue if she runs amok setting fire to the boat or cutting off the limbs of fellow passengers. 

Edited by kentchris
  • Haha 1

The viking rep could have easily lied to me about the scanning of luggage. What I did tell him was that most of the curling irons and irons have an automatic safety feature that turns it off when not moved. He told me that irons are not allowed either. Sounds more like a business to have to get clothes ironed and paid, instead of loaning me an iron, but I do see how that can start a fire.. How can a hair blow dryer start a fire? They even said no to a steamer,  The rep told me to take it because I am going to other cities after the cruise and they will give it back to me.  I’ve never done a river cruise or been on a viking ship but have been on other cruises and never had an issue with a curling iron or steam iron, or in any hotel for that matter.  For whatever reason, I’m just going to let my hair roam wild! Hahaha.

5 hours ago, doverboy said:

Simple solution:  Leave it home!

Ah, but if it was that simple.......She Who Is To Be Obeyed must be mollified!

On a different note, isn't it interesting that some river cruise lines have no such restrictions--some sort of safer wiring system???????????  Just strange.