Viking river ship rules on hair accessories

Viajerosfelices

Yes, I find it very interesting.. some do and some dont..... so safety hazzard cant be the real reason...or it would be prohibited on all ships. Could be right about the wiring system. Maybe their fuses blow? Ladies, lets let our voices be heard and our hair be seen! We just might get a new ruling! Maybe a female captain?😂

1 hour ago, Viajerosfelices said:

The viking rep could have easily lied to me about the scanning of luggage. What I did tell him was that most of the curling irons and irons have an automatic safety feature that turns it off when not moved. He told me that irons are not allowed either. Sounds more like a business to have to get clothes ironed and paid, instead of loaning me an iron, but I do see how that can start a fire.. How can a hair blow dryer start a fire? They even said no to a steamer,  The rep told me to take it because I am going to other cities after the cruise and they will give it back to me.  I’ve never done a river cruise or been on a viking ship but have been on other cruises and never had an issue with a curling iron or steam iron, or in any hotel for that matter.  For whatever reason, I’m just going to let my hair roam wild! Hahaha.

The Viking rep did not "lie" to you but they do deal with both Ocean and River cruises and there are some operational differences and they can get confused.

The heart of the issue is that the electrical systems on board the ships are not like the electricity that comes into our homes and business--and I am not tech savvy enough to explain why, I'm just repeating what I have learned from other conversations about this topic. Appliances that that work perfectly well in our homes and in hotels may be an absolute hazard if you try to use them on board. In another thread, one guy told a story of a ship's engineer (someone who should know better) who brought a powerstrip from home on board, plugged it in and it exploded. I don't know enough about all of this and so I have to trust the judgement of the people who run the ships. If they say no heat producing, then no heat producing products it is. If they say no extension cords, then no extension cords.

8 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

On a different note, isn't it interesting that some river cruise lines have no such restrictions--some sort of safer wiring system???????????  Just strange.

Interesting indeed. I've been on many Viking River cruises but never an ocean cruise. I've read on cruise critic that ocean cruise ships scan baggage and confiscate drinks and that horrifies me.

Never seen a  baggage check on arrival or bag check as guests board boat after strolling off or taking a tour. I'm used to walking on and off boat as an when I feel like it (when we're moored obs 🙂

So what seems normal to me seems strange to you and what seems normal to you seems strange to me.

(BTW - If I had enough hair left to curl I might have an opinion on the thread subject. 😥

Edited by pontac

1 hour ago, pontac said:

Interesting indeed. I've been on many Viking River cruises but never an ocean cruise. I've read on cruise critic that ocean cruise ships scan baggage and confiscate drinks and that horrifies me.

Never seen a  baggage check on arrival or bag check as guests board boat after strolling off or taking a tour. I'm used to walking on and off boat as an when I feel like it (when we're moored obs 🙂

So what seems normal to me seems strange to you and what seems normal to you seems strange to me.

(BTW - If I had enough hair left to curl I might have an opinion on the thread subject. 😥

@pontac, I don't understand your comment--sounds like you agree with me ("Interesting indeed".) Then your last sentence sounds like you don't agree.  Is it not odd that some companies allow heat-generating appliances and others do not?  I would assume the electrical systems of these vessels are quite similar.

16 hours ago, Daisi said:

Avalon permits curling irons...  "You will need an adapter or converter to use in other outlets in the stateroom for any small personal items such as a razor, curling iron, or alarm clock. "  https://www.avalonwaterways.ca/Avalon-Cruises/FAQs/

I know, I've traveled on Avalon. That wasn't my point. I haven't seen ANY river cruise line that screens baggage prior to loading in Europe. I know specifically that Avalon didn't do it on my cruise. Have you seen any European river cruise that does a security check on bags prior to loading?

12 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

I know, I've traveled on Avalon. That wasn't my point. I haven't seen ANY river cruise line that screens baggage prior to loading in Europe. I know specifically that Avalon didn't do it on my cruise. Have you seen any European river cruise that does a security check on bags prior to loading?

I just wanted to add to your comment saying that not only did Avalon not screen anything, but they did allow curling irons.  I have only taken one cruise, however from what I have read on here (and I'm sure you as well) no river cruise company scans luggage.  We don't do ocean cruises (to many people in to small of an area) but I guess they do scan luggage.  

Mind you.. from all I have read there is a world of difference between ocean and river cruising...

Edited by Daisi
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Coral said:

Glad to get the male perspective.

Do you know why many women pack so many clothes and accessories? Because their husbands and porters carry their suitcases.

We weighed out suitcases at home and in airport to make sure we were below the 23 K limit on Scenic. We moved quite a bit from her suitcase into mine to get her bag below 23K (50lbs!) I made use of the laundry service on ship so I had clean clothes for the 2nd week of our vacation. She had 2 weeks worth of clothes. I had shoes on my feet and a pair in the suitcase. She had 6-8 pair. People on the ship did not see us again in Europe so they did not know I was wearing in Paris what I wore in Vienna.

Thanks Daisi - now I understand. I seem to recall it's pretty split among river cruise companies, which allow heating appliances for hair, and which do not....

28 minutes ago, doverboy said:

Do you know why many women pack so many clothes and accessories? Because their husbands and porters carry their suitcases.

Boy is that sexist. My husband routinely packs more than I do 😉 Family rule in my house was you can pack what you want but you always carry your own stuff. And today, I'm a pretty good light packer. Some trips are better than others. But I don't make assumptions about how others pack based on their gender....

Edited by Hoyaheel
  • Like 2

this is why - 235, 000 hair dryers recalled due to fire hazard

Everyone's electrical anything is "fine" until its not.  This also applies to cords.  It is better and easier to say No, than it would be discuss why a particular customer's hair dryer is not OK

https://www.wsaw.com/content/news/235000-hair-dryers-recalled-for-fire-hazard-491049831.html

• Like 1

Cell phones catch fire too.  Battery packs.  CPAP machines.  Anything you plug in could be a risk.  This is a stupid topic.  Viking long ships are fairly new,  not built in the 1950’s.  They should be able to handle today’s electronics.  I think Viking is afraid of damage to furniture ( as well as fire).  Otherwise why do some lines allow them and some not.  I can’t imagine the electrical systems are that different.  The rules are made by men who don’t use said appliances in an effort to be over cautious and are not thinking of women who use these as part of their daily lives. If the eclectrical systems are that poor I don’t want to sleep on the boat.  In the laundry there’s no ironing service?  I doubt that and that’s a heat  producing item.

This has nothing to to do with the ship’s electrical system and everything to do with the quality of the appliance plugged into it. 

Low quality plugs and wires cause overheating and a potential fire. It is easier and safer just to say no to everything than have to argue with every pax about why theirs is okay.

Pax really don’t know if their plug is ok or not 

Don't Viking's Long ships have a US outlet?

My friend who had previously been on a Viking Long ship was surprised my Crystal cruise didn't have a US outlet when her Viking ship did.

When my Crystal butler introduced himself, he asked about my electrical devices and wanted to make sure I had the right adapters and also that everything was dual voltage. I had brought one item that wasn't. He made it clear that he did not want me to use a converter which was fine as I didn't bring one along.

Anyone out there have any experience with the re-chargeable curling irons?  They have a built in battery and recharge through a USB connector, sort of like those blocks that hold a charge to re-energize cell phones (I think?).

The amazon.com descriptions state they reach top temp in 30 seconds (!?!)

Grasping at straws, as DW uses these things every single day.  Easy for we men to say "don't bother", but how one looks affects self-esteem.

36 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

Anyone out there have any experience with the re-chargeable curling irons?  They have a built in battery and recharge through a USB connector, sort of like those blocks that hold a charge to re-energize cell phones (I think?).

The amazon.com descriptions state they reach top temp in 30 seconds (!?!)

Grasping at straws, as DW uses these things every single day.  Easy for we men to say "don't bother", but how one looks affects self-esteem.

Very interesting idea. I don't know a damned thing about them but if they actually work, it may well prove to be a viable work around.

You piqued my curiosity, so I started reading the Amazon q&a on one of the devices (always an interesting read). Sometimes you learn more in the Q&A than you do in the reviews (which were for the most part glowing). Have no idea the brand name; didn't look.

•  
Answer:
I could charge mine so took it reluctantly on vacation. I wasn't comfortable with the On/Off switch. Then it turned itself on in my backpack!!!!!! Scary. . . I tried to return it but was told that that item is not eligible for refund/return!!! That says alot about their product. I don't recommend trying the gas cartridge hair dryer. That one cannot be returned either. Be Safe!
By Cat on April 25, 2019
After many attempts, I couldn't get mine to charge either. After a number of emails, I got an email from Amazon saying that my money for the non-working curling iron will be refunded.
By Amazon Customer on April 27, 2019

Didn't read much beyond "Then it turned itself on in my backpack!!!!!" before I realized what a quest you are on. WOW. Hope this works out.

Also found this article (because you are also going to have to carry this onto an airplane). Seems if they contain a butane cartridge that they pose additional problems:

Pack Safe – Curling irons (cordless) - FAA

P.S. -- Shop locally so you can return the failures.

16 hours ago, doverboy said:

We weighed out suitcases at home and in airport to make sure we were below the 23 K limit on Scenic.

Surely Scenic did not weigh your bags?  I know it mentions 23kg in their FAQ, but we are flying independently of Scenic, on Emirates, where we are allowed 42kg!  (No idea who takes that much!).

We have four days before our cruise and two weeks after, so will need a bit of stuff.  

To be honest though, I rarely have more than 18kg when we travel for 3-4 weeks, but I can't see any reason that I shouldn't be able to have more, so long as it fits in my one medium size suitcase.

12 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

The rules are made by men who don’t use said appliances in an effort to be over cautious and are not thinking of women who use these as part of their daily lives.

When it comes to preventing fires on ships, I would prefer people be overly cautious. I’ve dealt with a great deal of sexism in my life, and this isn’t it.  

7 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

When it comes to preventing fires on ships, I would prefer people be overly cautious. I’ve dealt with a great deal of sexism in my life, and this isn’t it.  

Many of these items automatically turn off by themselves.

2 hours ago, Coral said:

Many of these items automatically turn off by themselves.

And yet the device may have started a fire anywhere along the electrical wires long before the device shuts itself off.

Nonetheless, in this conversation, the bottom line remains: Viking's ships, Viking's rules.

• Like 1

@Peregrina651 there are two types, I believe.  One is powered by a rechargeable battery, and the other uses a butane cartridge.  Carrying butane cartridges in one's luggage sounds crazy and almost certainly not allowed.  It's the battery-operated model that I will investigate.

Something that turns itself on is something I would like to avoid!!

Thanks for your research.

Just now, Peregrina651 said:

And yet the device may have started a fire anywhere along the electrical wires long before the device shuts itself off.

Nonetheless, in this conversation, the bottom line remains: Viking's ships, Viking's rules.

This is what I have read--that the overheating in the wiring system may not even happen in your cabin, but somewhere else up or down the line.

Just now, sharkster77 said:

@Peregrina651 there are two types, I believe.  One is powered by a rechargeable battery, and the other uses a butane cartridge.  Carrying butane cartridges in one's luggage sounds crazy and almost certainly not allowed.  It's the battery-operated model that I will investigate.

Oddly enough, according to the link I mentioned above, the butane ones are allowed on airplanes, with restrictions. That is a scary thought.

Let us know how you make out and what you learn.

21 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

Years ago I had a couple of the butane ones...they worked fine, and had a sleeve that fit over the end so you could pack them "warm"....never trusted packing it in our backpack hot.  They did heat up ok and worked fine.  I don't bother anymore, as I keep my hair long so braids, buns & ponytails work great and don't require any effort to keep up.

River cruise boats, like Ocean ships and most hotels, supply hair dryers. As these appliances draw more electricity than a curling iron, that suggests that the issue some River Cruise lines have with curling irons is not simply a matter with the circuitry. 

If they are  concerned with the quality and features of the curling irons, the simple answer is to issue company supplied ones. Another would be a to have an on board check to make guest owned ones meet converter/ adapter standards.

On a cruise of 130-160 people, say half are women and probably half again would have  curling iron. I think that would be doable to maintain safety.

i have traveled on Avalon and they allow curling irons but remind passengers of the safety rules. The stateroom attendant also keep an eye to make sure everyone is safe. They also SUPPLY curling irons at the desk to those who request one. This seems a very simple solution to the the issue.  Obviously they have spotted a market need and addressed it. Several other lines have as well. This is what is good about River Cruiseing, there is something for everyone.

Edited by Shipswap
Spelling

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:24 AM, Peregrina651 said:

Oddly enough, according to the link I mentioned above, the butane ones are allowed on airplanes, with restrictions. That is a scary thought.

Let us know how you make out and what you learn.

@Peregrina651 what I've learned is that Conair, a company we've all probably heard of, makes the butane powered type.  TSA allows this in carry on but replacement butane cartridges are not allowed.  The USB-charged battery powered ones are all made by companies I have never heard of, which instills little confidence in these products.  Braun used to make a model powered by disposeable batteries, but no longer does so.

Dear wife has decided she has 4 months to experiment--washing hair, placing curlers, blow-drying hair with curlers in place, etc., -- I dunno, she doesn't want to be photographed on vacation with unstyled hair--what can I say, not my hair....what little hair I have left can be managed by a ball cap.

6 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

@Peregrina651 what I've learned is that Conair, a company we've all probably heard of, makes the butane powered type.  TSA allows this in carry on but replacement butane cartridges are not allowed.  

In the 80's I did a college trip and they told us not to bring electrical devices (they didn't want us to have to deal with conversions, etc...).

I did buy the Conair butane curling iron. It broke on the trip. I did bring the replacement cartridges with me in my packed luggage which I think was allowed back then. I cringe now that I did that.