Ketchikan Float Planes Crash

1ANGELCAT

2 hours ago, asebastian said:

First thing I checked too after hearing the news, as we flew with Michelle on the same type of aircraft, 2 years ago. None of the news items have identified the "smaller 5-seater" plane or the company. Island Wings website seems to be operating as normal, so I'm hoping for the best for her.

We flew with her two years ago too, but out to Traitors Cove. Isn’t she great?  Thankfully it doesn’t sound like it was her but doesn’t make it any easier.  

Edited by zelker

17 minutes ago, voyageur9 said:

Unconfirmed report that the DHC-2 Beaver, the smaller of the two aircraft involved and the one with five fatalities -- pilot and four passengers -- was from Mountain Air Service. The larger a DHC Otter is confirmed as belonging to Taquan Air. . . .

Here’s an NBC News clip that also reports this: https://mobile.twitter.com/TODAYshow/status/1128255461369708544

So sad to hear this news!  We are praying for the survivors and all families involved.

We have done this excursion (after 3 failed attempts due to bad weather) and it is something we will never forget - very beautiful, scenic experience.  I have been on many small planes (due to my job) and never a problem, but you never know when an accident can happen.

2 hours ago, voyageur9 said:

Unconfirmed report that the DHC-2 Beaver, the smaller of the two aircraft involved and the one with five fatalities -- pilot and four passengers -- was from Mountain Air Service. The larger a DHC Otter is confirmed as belonging to Taquan Air.

Mountain Air info 

https://www.mtnairservice.com/about

Further information.The Anchorage Daily News reports the Mountain Air DHC-2 Beaver, with a pilot and four passengers, crashed on a steep rocky shoreline and ended up inverted and partially submerged. The Taquan Air DHC-3 Otter, with a pilot and 10 passengers, crashed in the water about a mile away, according to Lt. Brian Dykens, a Coast Guard spokesman in Juneau. The paper added that Taquan Air bought Promech Air in 2016, a year after a Promech aircraft carrying cruise passengers crashed killing nine people.

5 minutes ago, Himself said:

This is so sad to hear of this accident.  I do not think I will chance a float plane.

The day we went was absolutely perfect weatherwise, so I was not concerned.  I wonder how the weatherr was yesterday and did this contribute to the incident?

"Weather conditions in the area where the crash happened Monday included high overcast skies with 9 mph (14 kph) southeast winds.

The collision came nearly three years after a pilot and eight passengers died when a de Havilland DHC-3 Otter crashed in mountainous terrain near Ketchikan

The NTSB later determined that pilot error and lack of a formal safety program were among the causes of the June 2015 crash."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

"Weather conditions in the area where the crash happened Monday included high overcast skies with 9 mph (14 kph) southeast winds.

The collision came nearly three years after a pilot and eight passengers died when a de Havilland DHC-3 Otter crashed in mountainous terrain near Ketchikan

The NTSB later determined that pilot error and lack of a formal safety program were among the causes of the June 2015 crash."

Thanks for the information. Sometimes when I am in Kechikan I ride the ducks.  My sister has a fit.  She thinks they are dangerous.  Not as dangerous as a float plane.

41 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

The day we went was absolutely perfect weatherwise, so I was not concerned.  I wonder how the weatherr was yesterday and did this contribute to the incident?

I don't think weather has been mentioned as a factor in this incident, but just as a side note, it's my understanding that weather can change very rapidly in Alaska, so even if it is nice when one sets out, things can change rapidly.  This is important to remember when preparing for any outdoor activity, such as hiking.

Anyhow, so very, very sad.  Many prayers for all involved in this incident.

7 hours ago, asebastian said:

First thing I checked too after hearing the news, as we flew with Michelle on the same type of aircraft, 2 years ago. None of the news items have identified the "smaller 5-seater" plane or the company. Island Wings website seems to be operating as normal, so I'm hoping for the best for her.

So sad,

In 2005 we had a great tour with Michelle/Island Wings on the Beaver to Anan Creek.

We hope for the best

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

I don't think weather has been mentioned as a factor in this incident, but just as a side note, it's my understanding that weather can change very rapidly in Alaska, so even if it is nice when one sets out, things can change rapidly.  

We were on a flight with Michelle of Island Wings several years ago. After 20 minutes of flight time, she turned the plane around because of reports that the weather in Misty Fjords was turning bad. Michelle doesn't take any chances, and when we were able to fly with her two years later, we had perfect weather and an experience that I'll remember forever!

• Thanks 1